What's a RF-5 worth?

johnnydrama

Assuming mint condition or like new? Most of my knowledge is on the newer reference lines and was just curious as to what you guys thought these are worth? I found some but the asking price seems high to me and there aren't too many of them out there for me to check pricing on. thanks

I think between 600 and 750, but many owners will tell you they would have a hard time selling them at that price. The RF 5's are in a precarious situation, given their size and close specs to lesser models. They sold new for approx 800 a speakers, they really are an incredible speaker given their size.

I've seen them go for as little as 400 but this depends and the buyer and seller, 400 is an absolute steal, 600 - 700 would be 50% off their original value.

the Problem with being 600 -700 opens the door to other speakers for just a little more,RF 7s can be had for between 800 - 1000 la scala's the same. You've got KLF 20, 30's , chorus II and fortes can all be grouped in the same price range so they're in a bad posistion. I know I wouldn't let mine go for less than 700, I would hope to get more else where other than the klipsch forums.

Presuming we aren't talking about the re-release model of 2009, but the original 2001-2006 model, presuming mint condition, I'd say no more than $600. FWIW, I picked mine up a year ago for $500. While they weren't what I'd classify as "mint" condition, they're at least 7/10 if not 8/10 IMO.

I bought a mint pair with boxes for $600 about 2 years ago.

I'm assuming you like them, everything I keep reading is about how great they are and supposedly better than the newer reference lines... what are your personal feelings about them?

i really do .. they lack the harshness of rf-7's and, to me, are more musical. I've been running them as full range with an rc-7 and no sub for the last year and the walls still rattle - so they put out some sound waves. now, they don't generate those low 20hz frequencies (which is why i'm in the middle of acquiring a sub), but their size to performance ratio is phenominal and they really are just a great all-around speaker.

Whats the difference between the original and re-release model of 2009?

The re-release appears to be seamlessly veneeered on all surfaces. On the original, the front baffle was not veneered, and the back panel has a seam from the side/top/bottom panels. Of course, age is a factor as well.

If you happen to find a set of the RF 35 towers for the same range they perform very well also. I reluctantly sold a pair to a very close friend for $500 and they were a 10 all the way and he loves them too. That said if you came across a pair of 7's for $800 or under, IMPO you would be crazy not to grab them instead.

they really are just a great all-around speaker

Agree here. IMO, RF-5s don't make any real errors, ie I don't find them bright, etc. They've got a reasonably solid bass foundation, so they can stand on their own for 2 channel work, and their midrange quality is good enough to the point that with good source material, you can get that "the performer is in the room with you" feeling. With bombastic music they fill my room easily enough, yet they handle more delicate work just as well. On top of that, they're easy to drive compared to some speakers (the RF-7 for example), with (as told by Klipsch support) a 4 ohm minimum impedance. At least for my purposes, they're excellent.

K well I'm almost certain they are the re-release, the guy said he bought them brand new in 2009. What would be a fair offer for a pair and he also has a RC-35?

That is so difficult to say and very personal. I've always first decided what I was looking for and then the top I was willing to pay (all condition driven) and started to hunt. When I was first building my RF 7 surround system I knew that I wanted all matching, 7.1 and nothing less than an RSW 15, some of the pieces I bought way right, while other ones were closer to my max. but in the end it all worked out and I was happy and still am, but I still buy all of my equipment that way, unless it is a really sweet number, then I might buy it just because of the deal.

K well I'm almost certain they are the re-release, the guy said he bought them brand new in 2009. What would be a fair offer for a pair and he also has a RC-35?

That is so difficult to say and very personal. I've always first decided what I was looking for and then the top I was willing to pay (all condition driven) and started to hunt. When I was first building my RF 7 surround system I knew that I wanted all matching, 7.1 and nothing less than an RSW 15, some of the pieces I bought way right, while other ones were closer to my max. but in the end it all worked out and I was happy and still am, but I still buy all of my equipment that way, unless it is a really sweet number, then I might buy it just because of the deal.

well that's kinda where I'm at it's not exactly what I'm looking for but if I can get a sweet deal I think I'd be more than happy with the performance of the speaker. I appreciate your advice and thats generally how I try to look at my purchases, the what's it worth to me approach. Just trying to grab some more knowledge and opinions on this speaker so I can make that decision. The guy actually has 4 RF-5s and a RC-35. He said he would sell seperate or all together.