Klipschorns

BMWM5

Can any member explain exactly what "Salesman Accommodation Sample Not For Resale" means? I just purchased a pair of 1985 K-Horns with all matching #'s. My only question is that the labels on the bottom cabinets have this stamp on them. Does that mean they were used in a store for customers to hear over a period of time? Were they

speakers given to Salesmen as a reward for meeting sales goals? Don't get me wrong, they sound fantastic, I'm just curious.

Thanks,

MGJ

It means that they were sold to a store employee for less than dealer cost, and were not to be sold before a certain time period, usually one year.

Salesmen usually can't afford the expensive gear they show to customers, this was a way of getting them to use the gear at home, and customers always were interested in what you (as a salesman) listened to at home. Some of the biggest systems got sold when you took a customer to your house to listen, threw something on the grill, and had a cold one.

I understand the placement of these speakers in the corners of a room are critical. The left side wall in my house is part of a division between the living and dining room. The left side extends only 24". The side of the K-Horn is 32. Will this make a difference in sound? The back of the speaker has two vertical rubber strips that are suppose to butt against the rear walls. On the left side they do. The right side speaker is another matter. At the base I have radiators which extend away from the wall 3". and are 8" high.

The result is that the rubber strips cannot butt up against the wall forming a seal. Should I modify the bottom section of the speaker so the rubber strip can rest against the wall? Does the radiator sticking out away from the wall make a big difference? Any input would be appreciated.

BMWM5

Should I modify the bottom section of the speaker so the rubber strip can rest against the wall?

I once bought some mint condition khorns. the only blemish was his attempt to overcome the same baseboard issue as you. The modifcation did not come out very well......to say the least. I asked him why didn't he just elevate the khorns a few inches by putting them on some platforms. He said wow...didn't think of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wondered too about how important it is to get the Khorns tight in the corner. With most speakers you find it common to angle the focal direction to create the desired dispersement or sweet spot. If you let the corners dictate this placement there is a compromise in the dispersement so - I'm sure some owners have experimented with some turning of the speaker away from the tight corner placement. Does this significantly degrade the base output?

I'm sure some owners have experimented with some turning of the speaker away from the tight corner placement. Does this significantly degrade the base output?

You only lose about an octave of bass response... [8-)]

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/154887/1631329.aspx#1631329

Chris

I have a set of K horns which were supposed to be a "salesman's award" set. These are a light blonde birch color which were originall unfinished if my information is correct. The grill cloth was the light colored cane type which I replaced with something close to the original color. I do not see a statement such as yours on the bottom but I purschased these from a longtime forum member so I have to believe that the info is accurate.

The tighter that you can get to the corner- the better in my expierence. Some folks use foam waterpipe insulators.

Do you have a pic?

I just had some other thoughts on your corner situation. A good friend of mine closed the bass bins on his k horns with birch plywood. Corners are no longer necessary. Also there are several threads here concerning building false corners for k horns. Closing the base bins works well but requires considerable woodworking skills. I am seriously considering this myself if I can find someone to do it given the logistics of moving these monsters around to get the work done.

Also check out the wood horn/driver and crossover mods for the K horns discussed on the forum.