The latest project to come out of the garage

jhoak

I've had a new subwoofer in the cooker for a while. I built the cabinet a couple of months ago and just listened for a while. Yesterday I decided that it's a "keeper" and give it some clothes

Net internal volume is just a shade over 1.2 cubic feet. The driver is a GR Research SW-12B and it's being driven by a 250 watt Dayton plate amp.

Her she is with the first coat of Watco Golden Oak Oil. The finish is to match my Cornscalas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to get a couple more coats of oil on it, mount everything up and build the grills before it's done but I think it'll look pretty good in my living room

I've had a new subwoofer in the cooker for a while. I built the cabinet a couple of months ago and just listened for a while. Yesterday I decided that it's a "keeper" and give it some clothes

Jeff,

You never fail to amaze me. Looks like something you would find in an Absolute Sound advertisement.

I must hear it sometime soon.

Bill

Thanks guys!!! I'm getting anxious to get it wrapped up and in the living room.

When it's all done it'll be a spot on match for my Cornscalas appearance wise. Right down to the same sculpted grill frame and cloth.

I guess I really need to come up with some kind of "logo" so I can start badging this stuff.

Thanks!

There's an old joke about someone asking how to get to Carnegie Hall and a long time New Yorker replies "practice... practice... practice".

This project is a bit better than the one before it which in turn was a bit better than the one before that. That said I routinely see other people's work that I am just completely in awe of.

I'll get there someday... All it takes is practice... practice... practice... [;)]

Today I got the second coat of Watco oil applied, installed the driver & amp, and built the grill. So... New pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally in place and singing or more accurately "thumping". :)

Posted Image

It still needs 3 more coats of Watco "natural" oil before it's an exact match for the Cornscalas but those will come over the next few weeks. Finally culminating with a coat (or two) of Johnson's Paste Wax but that's a month or more out.

It's been a fun little "low budget" project and I'm very happy with the outcome.

Thanks!!! Veneering isn't as bad as you would think. Once you get some basic tecniques down it goes pretty fast. I did that subwoofer cabinet in under 2 hours.

My very first veneer project was a pair of La Scalas. Talk about jumping in to the "deep end" of the pool. I probably should have started out with something a little simpler but as someone once told me "If you can't go BIG then go home".

Here's the La Scala project if you haven't seen it before:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/125734/1270880.aspx#1270880

Enclosures are really,really nice.

How do they sound? Where are you crossing them over?

What made you pick the GR Research SW-12B? I've been wanting to build a second set of subs for another room. My first pair used NHT 1259 drivers in a 3 ft^3 box. Unfortunately no longer made!

Thanks!

I'm going to assume that you're refering to my Cornscalas. If so they sound simply wonderful. I've been enjoying them for a few months now. As for crossovers they're currently crossed over at 600Hz and 4500Hz. Here's the link to my Cornscala project:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/148721/1534786.aspx#1534786

The decision to use the GR Research driver was based on the cabinet that I had on hand. A few months ago I bought a "servo" driver and amp and built the appropriate cabinet. I was NOT impressed with the outcome and quickly sold the parts leaving me with an empty cabinet. As it turned out the GR Research driver was a perfect fit and a price that I could afford.