2nds and 3rds on vinyl

merkin

What do you guys do with your seconds and thirds on the vinyl. I have bought full collections from some people and have ended up with 2 or even 3 copies of some albums. Of ccurse I listen to them and know which is the best copy and covers and plan on keeping them. Some of the extra copies are ok shape just not as good and definitly listenable. They are almost all very popular albums, that's why everyone has them. I don' t think they would be worth the postage or shipping to send to anyone they were all bought through goodwill, garage sales and Craig's list. Do I have some dollar coasters or frisbees?m

Make sure your kids if you have them or anyone you know that is interested gets a start on a collection and then take the rest to a local second hand record store. They usually won't give you cash but you can probably find something you want for store credit. Share the wealth! I like to find records with the original inner sleeves, they are often very interesting to read and period oriented.

We all have to remember that though we are flushed now with all this 30-40-50 year old vinyl there will come a day when whats left is either unplayable, much harder to get or just plain lost. I know it seems unlikely given the mountains that exist but think about rotary or crank phones. Where did all those go? I would guess mostly tossed just because they seemed so common. Try to be a good conservator of what you can.

**Okay I can see where this thread is going...

I just looked, I have:

4 Copies of Dalis Car with Peter Murphy and Mick Karn

3 Copies of League of Gentleman with Robert Fripp and Sara Lee

3 copies of Overnight Sensation with Frank Zappa

2 Copies of Apostrophe with FZ

Just my Linda Ronstadt simple dreams 2

Heart Like a Wheel 3

Living in the USA 3

Nelson Riddle Orchestra 2

Hey How did you know I had a shot gun in the closet?

I'll go look later for a more complete list. Lots of boston, stycks, REO,

Maybe my wife can make some artsey crafty thing out of them.

I already know without looking what album is most plentiful in my "collection": Deja Vu. Can't pass up a decent copy (I have, probably 8). Or one of Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends. It's such a good album, I can't help myself. Still looking for a mono copy...

I've been sorting and culling the collection recently and aside from Beatles' records, which I have boxes and boxes of and haven't thought to count copies of each album, I've found at least 5 copies of ELP's 'Brain Salad Surgery' along with Jethro Tull's 'Thick as a Brick', the Who's 'Tommy', 'Quadrophenia', 'Who's Next', Neil Young's 'Harvest', Jimi Hendrix's 'Bold as Love' and most of Yes' albums. I also found 10 copies of Peter Gabriel's 'So' (not my favorite of his) but oddly enough the album I have most copies of is Dire Straits' 'Brothers in Arms'...go figure. I'm only working through the Rock LPs for now and I still have a thousand or so to go but most are from before I thought much of Dire Straits so I'm hopeful that I've found my last copy of 'BinA' .

Of the dupes and rejects, about 10-15% of the records are not in a condition I would play on my TT so they're going to the dump. Another 30% or so I would play but they need to be cleaned so those are bound for Goodwill and the rest are perfectly fine but as with the OP, I haven't a clue what to do with them.

When I used to have folks over for listening sessions, I always had a box of duplicate CDs and encouraged the attendees to take a couple on their way out. That worked for about half of the CDs so its not a final or very quick solution. I have fewer record buddies than CD's and only one family member that's collects so I'm stumped.

Happy Holiday Marty! Of course, you're welcome to stop by anytime you're in the neighborhood, have a beer or two, listen to some music, maybe take in a jazz show at An Die Musik or a progressive band at Orion. I'm always looking for a buddy to go hear some live music and be sure to take a few records with you - if the bourbon warms me up, maybe we can fit a box in your car.

Have a safe trip and a Happy New Year!