Cornwall II's and MP3's

Hi,

I have a pair of Cornwall II's matched to a Sansui AU-919. They sound awesome with any sound file, or movie file, except MP3's. These can sound shrill at higher volumes. I replaced the entire crossovers in the speakers with Bob Crites crossovers and this improved the sound quality a lot, but there is still some shrillness. Has anyone noticed the same problem with MP3 files and can suggest a resolution. Thanx

MP3 files are compressed. It is possible the level of compression may have something to do with this. Most people cannot tell the difference in 320 kbps MP3's and lossless. Anything below that will inclrease the chance of crappy sound especially in a revealing speaker like a Khorn.

See the following thread for a clue to what's going on with MP3s--just in terms of frequency response:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/100991.aspx

The sonic effect of file compression on MP3 files isn't very intuitive, as it turns out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Audio_quality

I don't play MP3 files on my setup (see profile) because you can hear the poor quality - even at highest bitrates.

The only ones that I listen to are 320 kbps MP3s on my iPod ripped directly from CDs, etc., played in my car and over noise-cancelling headphones in the workplace to drown out distractions.

Chris

If you must play your MP3's a DAC could definately help your issue. My cheap little DAC-09 smooths out crappy MP3's quite nicely.

Good point. He mentioned the integrated amp, but not the source. I have never tried a tube DA Converter. How does it compare to a solid state DAC?

If you must play your MP3's a DAC could definately help your issue. My cheap little DAC-09 smooths out crappy MP3's quite nicely.

Good point. He mentioned the integrated amp, but not the source. I have never tried a tube DA Converter. How does it compare to a solid state DAC?

All I can say for sure is it blows away the dac in my PS3. The DAC-09 is the only stand alone I have tried.

Thanx. My Oppo BDP83 which I use to play MP3's has a pretty awesome DAC built in. I am not sure how an additional one would be of benefit. Just asking.

Perhaps it has something to do with his being a tube DAC. If the tube DAC is the silver bullet, you could come out of your SPDIF (bitstream) output into the tube DAC, and then into the integrated amp. If it is not the silver bullet, you would be wasting time on a digital coax and a tube DAC.

One more point. The BDP-83 does not have the best DAC. To get that, you need the BDP-95. I have a BDP-93, and do not use the DAC in it. I use the DAC in my Integra DHC-80.3 preamp.

I have the Oppo DV980 and the Grant Fidelity DAC-09. This DAC is a big value for the money IMHO and I prefer it to the DAC in the Oppo. The tube that came with the DAC was not bad but I replaced it with a JW Western Electric 396a and I am quite happy. I think a tube DAC will help with the MP3 files but it might only be barely tolerable. I used to think my lower bitrate MP3 files were fine until I got heritage Klipsch and finally heard the music.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

MP3 is a low fi to mid fi medium; its inferior fidelity is often
masked (to a degree) by the hyper-spatiality of headphones when heard
using them, but drops like a rock when played on a good sound system
with speakers. Even the pro-media 2.1 manual warns the consumer to not
expect really high fidelity from most MP3. Why use an inferior medium? [:)]