Advice on Budget Bookshelf Speakers for Office

Youthman

• Moderators

I want to setup a small bookshelf 2ch system in my work office. I bought a Harman Kardon AVR70. Probably will use it to mostly listen to Pandora from computer so it's definitely not a "dedicated 2ch listening area" type setup. Just looking for good sound maybe $150 or less.

What would you recommend? Local guy has a pair of KG1.5's for $100. Definitely in the budget but want to see if there are better options I should look for.

• Moderators

I use the Promedia 2.1 plugged directly into the computer.

Thanks. I bought the promedia 2.1 used a year ago for my home office but it only lasted 2 weeks. [:(] due to amp failure (known issue with the promedia series).

Looking to go with receiver + bookshelf speaker for my work office.

• Moderators

Thx Jeff and Sub but 4" drivers are a bit small for my taste. I'd prefer either a 5.25" or 6.5" drivers.

Bill, the RB-61 and RB-51 are much more than I want to spend. I have emailed the RB-5 guy to see how much he wants for them. Thx.

Thx Jeff and Sub but 4" drivers are a bit small for my taste. I'd prefer either a 5.25" or 6.5" drivers.

Bill, the RB-61 and RB-51 are much more than I want to spend. I have emailed the RB-5 guy to see how much he wants for them. Thx.

I can't blame you. 4" is a bit small and under most circumstances i wouldnt consider them either. Surprisingly though, their imaging is quite large. The 5b-5's would be an excellent treat for sure.

Michael,

I know you are an ex Polk Audio guy and a Klipsch guy now for life but I am urging you to go check these out. I told you about my "little" Polk Audio RT25i's and just how good they sound. These RT-55i's are their big brother with (2) 6.5 inch drivers. Make the seller an offer.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ele/2741155877.html

RT55i

Our best bookshelf speaker.
Real wood. Real high performance.

spacer.gif

21-1/8" H x 9-1/2" W x 14-3/8" D
( 53.66cm H x 24.13cm W x 36.51cm D )

spacer.gif
MSRP:
359.95 each (US)¹

spacer.gif
Overview Specifications Customer Reviews
spacer.gif
Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 2 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Dynamic Balance® drivers, shielded
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
Dynamic Balance® Tri-laminate, shielded

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 35Hz - 26kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 47Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 25kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 200 w/channel
Efficiency 91 dB
Crossover Drivers 2nd order Low Pass Filter @ 2kHz. Tweeter 2nd order High Pass @2kHz
Inputs Dual (bi-amp/bi-wire) gold-plated 5-way binding posts

Dimensions
Cabinet Size 21-1/8" H x 9-1/2" W x 14-3/8" D
(53.66cm H x 24.13cm W x 36.51cm D)

Shipping/Other
Shipping unit: pair
Total Shipping Weight 76.00 lbs. (34.47kgs)
Speaker Warranty info.gif

Limited, 5 years parts and labor

Bill

• Moderators

Thx Bill. I sent the seller an email to see if he would be interested in trading for design or print services. Not sure I want to spend $200 on an office setup. I won't be able to crank them up at work so the dual 6.5" might be overkill.

When I worked at Circuit City 10 years ago, the RT55's were by far the best bookshelf pair we sold. The RT55i were the second version of them. I had the tower version of them, the RT-800's. They sounded good but to be honest, they do not come close to the detail of the CF-2's that replaced them. Not even close.

Front%20%283%29.JPG

Front%20%281%29.JPG

• Moderators

Jeff,

Michael is heading to Lutz to check out two pairs of KG1.5's.

Just returned with them. The drivers all look fantastic. Cabinets have multiple scratches, mostly on the top of the speakers but no major dings, dents etc. Grills are in great shape as well. Serial numbers of both pair are sequential. They should work out fine for my application.

I still will probably keep an eye out for a pair of older RB-35's, RB-5's or RB-61's. I still prefer the look of the cerametalic cones and darker wood color (cherry, mahogany etc). If the right deal comes along, I'll upgrade.

Klipsch-KG1.5-1.jpgklipsch-kg-1.5-1.jpg

The drivers all look fantastic.

Your are right, those drivers look brand new. What are your impressions on the sound with say acoustic guitar? I bet they sound good with strings.

That camera does take some kick butt pictures. And the photographer is pretty good too.[Y]

Bill

• Moderators

What are your impressions on the sound with say acoustic guitar? I bet they sound good with strings.

I've been taking down Christmas decorations, outside lights etc. so I haven't had a chance to hook it up to the Harman Kardon AVR70 yet. I'll post my impressions later tonight. I also want to hear how it sounds with the UMC-1 and Parasound amp.