Save Money-Buy Your LPS From a Record Store

thebes

Monday I'm in Sound Garden in Syracuse, New York, the city's only real record store. I pick up 3 lps:

Tom Waits, "Bad As Me", $19.99

Cat Power, "What Would the Community Think", $14.99

Kool & the Gang, "Spirit of the Boogie", $11.99

Total: $46.00 or $50.73 with tax

All new, all sealed, none on sale.

I compare at Acoustic Sounds and Amazon:

$54.73 plus shipping!

Four bucks savings, plus you get to hang out at the store, pick up vibes, maybe listen to some cuts and impress the ladies with your knowledge of exotic and esoteric music triviality. ("yes, young thing, I first heard ShaNaNa at Woodstock" "you were at Woodstock, oh golly!", she gushes")

Lesson learned. It's not always cheaper on the web.

Thebes, I am also a believer in supporting your local record store(s). I order most of my CD/SACD/Blu-Ray discs from Amazon, but the majority of the vinyl I purchase is from "Angry Mom Records" in Ithaca, NY.

I had to go to Syracuse yesterday myself, and stopped by Angry Moms on the way home. I picked up 3 sealed records there:

Carly Simon: Boys In The Trees - $5.00

Tracy Chapman: Self titled - $3.50

Christine Lavin: Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind - $3.50

I try to go there on a monthly basis, and usually come home with 10-15 LPs each time I do. It is such a fun and rewarding experience for me. From looking through the bins, to the conversation with other music lovers, to going home and cleaning the records, and playing them (sometimes with an adult beverage). It makes me feel like a younger man all over again, and I think I'll fix a drink and spin some records right now since you mentioned it.... [8-|][D]

Awesome. Good work. If we don't support "real" brick and mortor retailers, soon our shopping experiance will be limited to the virtual experiance. And then limited to only a few of the biggest players. Not good! Record shopping is always fun and a viseral experiance.

Pricing is always kind of relative anyway and when all aspects of the purchase are considered if you find what you want at a competetive price, buy it. Why spend the emotional capitol trying to save nickels? What's the saying ...."Penny wise and pound foolish".

There is only a small number of us that purchase vinyl to start with. We all need to do our part to keep someone in business. OK off my retail soap box and back to the music.

Awesome. Good work. If we don't support "real" brick and mortor retailers, soon our shopping experiance will be limited to the virtual experiance. And then limited to only a few of the biggest players. Not good! Record shopping is always fun and a viseral experiance.

Pricing is always kind of relative anyway and when all aspects of the purchase are considered if you find what you want at a competetive price, buy it. Why spend the emotional capitol trying to save nickels? What's the saying ...."Penny wise and pound foolish".

There is only a small number of us that purchase vinyl to start with. We all need to do our part to keep someone in business. OK off my retail soap box and back to the music.

Well said... I agree...

Thanks guys for chiming in on this one. I know I've been a poor member lately but with these, and other threads, maybe I can get back into the stream of things.

In a perfect world, recordings, like live music, should be purchased locally. Got to like it when you can get local for cheaper than online. Seems to me the online guys are turning into gougers, milking the perceived convenience and mythos that it's all easier online. No overhead and still these bastards are greedy as hell. Welcome to the new old old.

Good for you Marty!...but you know there's a Sound Garden just up the road here in Baltimore - think of the gas you could've saved. Also, I've been listening to 'Bad as Me' quite a bit lately and its a great album - right up there with 'Mule Variations' in my opinion. I would love to get the LP but unfortunately, I've heard there were serious quality control issues and I thought they had pulled it from the shelves. I know Amazon did because they had so many returns. Maybe they fixed the problems and reissued it already...please keep me informed of your experience. Happy New Year!

Well now you tell me! Sounds like another good reason to head on up Baltimore for a visit.

Haven't had a chance to play the Wait's lp yet, but defects appear to be common with newly minted vinyl The wax is most likely being stamped on 70 year old presses so it's probably not surprising.