Floor Standing vs. Bookshelf speakers for an apartment

dawiyo

I'm planning my new system and I'm trying to make a decision between floor standing (RF-42 ii) and bookshelf (RB-42 ii) speakers for my L & R. The center and surrounds will be the same either way. I already have a cheapo Denon 5.1 system and I plan on keeping the sub either way. Because I live in an apartment, I don't really like to run at high volumes (I'm usually around 55-65db, IIRC). Would I see an advantage on going with a floor standing speaker set-up compared to a bookshelf set-up in terms of sound quality? Is it really worth the extra expense, when it'll never get pushed to it's full potential?

Thanks for the advice,

Dave

There is always a benefit to floorstanders when comparing like models IMO. You have a subwoofer which leads me believe you have problems with your neighbors? I have done apartment living and subwoofers were never a go for me because they just bother the people around me.

I owned the rf-10 setup which is the older version of the rf-42 II set and the sound was great and i saw a benefit over the bookshelfs with floorstanders. I always found the drivers to be too small for me in the towers, the smallest i would go is 6-6.5" for my main theater setup if i had to. Ancillary HT system are a different story for me.

Have you looked for anything used? This is how i have bough 95% of the gear ive owned and you can get way more for your money that way.

In regards to pushing things to their full potential, you always wantt o have overhead. I never ever want to hear my speakers distort so i always buy bigger so i dont overdrive the speakers. The majority of audio users that have larger systems will never push their systems to the limits under normal operation. Klipsch i say especially because of their high sensitivity. Even past that, for those that run theirs full range, reducing the low end cutoff generally means cleaner bass and higher volumes without distortion.

just the .02 from me.

Thanks for the response. I have not had problems with my neighbors in the past, in fact they always say they can never hear anything coming from my apartment, however I try really hard not to be "that noisy guy". Honestly, I haven't looked at used set-ups mostly because I've always thought buying used speakers is a no-no. Maybe I'm mistaken. You say there is a benefit. Would you say the sound quality advantage of tower versus bookshelf plus subwoofer is enough to justify the price?

Thanks for the response. I have not had problems with my neighbors in the past, in fact they always say they can never hear anything coming from my apartment, however I try really hard not to be "that noisy guy". Honestly, I haven't looked at used set-ups mostly because I've always thought buying used speakers is a no-no. Maybe I'm mistaken. You say there is a benefit. Would you say the sound quality advantage of tower versus bookshelf plus subwoofer is enough to justify the price?

First, floor standing speakers take up no more floor space than smaller speakers on stands, plus the larger cabinet size (even if the drivers are the same) allows for deeper bass or higher sensitivity, and sometimes a bit of both.

Second, if your subwoofer is off the floor, less sound will travel out of your apartment, while it sounds pretty well the same inside the room. My living room sub is on a small table, plus it has inch-thick neoprene pads under each foot. I've never had a noise complaint, although I play the system kind of loud sometimes. Some movie scenes feel like an earthquake is happening.

It's also a good idea to run weatherstrip around your entrance door and add a sweeper to the bottom. The door sweeper with three rows of fuzz is the best. This will help to keep sound escaping into the hallway, and will keep out drafts.

Third, many members here have bought used Klipsch speakers and been very happy with them, especially Heritage Series speakers, which have pro audio type woofers with doped pleated paper surrounds, which last decades longer than the more common foam surrounds, which rot away in 10-15 years.

20- to 30-year-old Klipschorns, La Scalas, Cornwalls, and Heresys can sound just fine, although they may need the capacitors in the crossovers replaced after 20 years, which is not very expensive.

buying used is something alot of us do. I have owned over 22 different models of klipsch speakers and have had a problem with one pair. They were 20 years old and the passive radiator separated from the spyder. I gorilla glued it back together and it was right as rain. I always tap each woofer to make sure they are still rigid and strong, i always test the speakers out, i inspect the cabinets and grills. Rarely do the crossovers go and if there is a blown woofer, you should hear it or see it. I also dont buy anything that has dents of any kind in the woofer (the reference series has aluminum woofers).

Honestly, I haven't looked at used set-ups mostly because I've always thought buying used speakers is a no-no.

buying used speakers from a guy in a white van is a no-no. all other methods, when properly researched against the internet and your gut feelings, are perfectly acceptable.

will you always be living in apartments?

will you always be living in apartments?

Can't say that I'll always live in apartments, however, being in the Northern VA / DC Metro area, it's a good possibility I'll be in an apartment/condo for a while. I checked on Craigslist, Audiogon, and of course here before I made my purchase. In hindsight, I have no regrets about buying new. Plus, Acoustic Sound Design was running a sale :)

I don't think so. I couldn't find anything locally that wasn't a high-end tower (more than I wanted to spend) or a more heritage type speaker which I don't have room for. The amp gets here today and the speakers come Monday. Can't wait!

Consarn S4's and Promedia 2.1 system making me love Klipsch and giving me the itch to upgrade [H]