Velodyne DD18+

shake777

Happy New Year and happy me. I got a great deal on it and I should have it in a week or so. Truth be told I've lusted after the Velodne DD-18 for nearly two years and when Audioholics picked the plus the Subwoofer Product of the Century...I mean the year, I could not resist. All things considered it was the only decision I could make. Thanks again for your help and guidance. This was a tough one and hopefully I won't be disappointed as I would make this decision a hundred times over. Since most of what I have is black or dark I took the piano gloss black. I love the way everything dissapears into the darkness. Nic

Hi Henry, Love it but I'm thinking about getting the Sony 7000ES Bluray 500 disc player and selling the Oppo. I imagine its not as good of a player but good enough and I can spend more time in my chair without the danger damage and grime to the discs. I'm not sure yet; One consideration is a better juke box in the works? The Sony is discontinued so I should look into if they are going to have something new and better. I also have a modded Sony DVD/SACD jukebox for those kinds of media but I would prefer if Icould put all my discs in one good player. The Oppo is a great player. It just doesn't fit my needs.

H, You should love it. Glad to hear of your satisfaction with the SVS; I bet its some potent unit and I'm glad to hear it meets your needs after trying so many; I've been though that myself. Mine won't be here until something like next Tuesday (1/16/12) which happens to be MLK...I have a dream where every person can get blown out of their shorts by a good sub! I think you are really going to enjoy the 95. I had a string of bad luck with BD players including the first 95 (it was probably due to my impatience but I didn't want' to take any chances since both my Pani BD35 and a Pioneer were rejecting discs even after firmware fixes). I was so happy to have a player that, at the very minimum, played discs; it also loads faster than anything I'd had previously. It has so many features that I will never use because all I want to do is listen and watch...in that order. I was also instructed by Corey at Audio Advisor (a very sharp guy) to hook up the stereo rca besides the HDMI so that I would get more DACs working...does that sound right? That's how I remember it anyway. Its just as well that I have to wait since I'm using the time to get a few things in order befroe it gets here and my brother is going to come over and help me with the set-up and with mounting my projector above in the ceiling as it presently sits on a table where it is partially blocked by my center; The Palladium sits up high on little adjustible legs and sits on a tall enterainment unit to begin with. I guess you know what its like to wait for a piece of your system that you've been wanting for years. That's how it is for me now. I was told that there was a price increase by Velodyne Jan 1 and they had to get special permission from the President himself to get me the old price; He was at CES and that put my delivery off by a week. I do believe I got a great deal. Thanks for you time and interest. N

Ceca, It sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. It is very mellow similar to a tuba. It is real tight. Of course it has house collapsing power. The driver feels like iron to the touch and it is so taught or tightly fastened which is why I think it is so quick for an 18. The delivery men had never heard one and they stood there with their jaws dropped open. One of them was a tech and he said he wants one now. They said its a seamless blend between it and the rest of my system which includes five subs in a surround configuration, They said the system was worthy of a spotlight in a magazine; Including the marginal appearance due to the unfinished nature of room. John said it was an "honor" fo hear such a fine system and Gary, also from Safe and Sound was in agreement. It sounds wonderful and exceeds my expections by far which is a lot to say for a few hours of set-up and trial. I know its going to get better as I learn the controls. Its a real asset to have the remote for it that adjusts everything from my seat. The appeaance is imposing and beautiful; It looks like the classic Chris Craft speed boats with lighter and dark boards next to one another and buffed to a piano high gloss finish; It is long enough (deep enough) to give the analagous appearance of a large metro bus comming down the road ecxept it has a slight tail more like the classic Chris Craft; I'm told that helps to nullify standing waves and there has been some minor debate around this. That's my preliminary report after about seven hours. I forgot to kiss it goodbye before I left for work. My wife, who helped me to obtain it never gets ignored that way. Cheers all and thank you once more for encouraging me to go for it all. Nici (pronounced Nicky...that's the name I like the best for me. It sounds better! The reason why I'm spelling it that way is that it saves me one letter which over the course of my life will save me about three minutes,,,Ha!). I believe Stereophile, whom I respect the most, called this a top three world class sub with the new B&W and a pair of JL 113s. That's my epilogue.