Building HT around Forte 2's, rear surround advice needed.

rockhound

Looking for some advice on building a decent 5.1 system around my current forte 2's. This is all about the waf so I can't go forte's all the way around like I would like to. I really only have 2 options and would like to get some rear surround recommendations. First off I have attached a pic below of the rear of my living room. I only have about 55"-60" from the rear walls to the recliners so not sure I could have a floor standing speaker there. I think the best bet would be to mount something up in the corners out of sight again for waf and sound? I just pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR-5005 that will act as a pre/pro. I've decided to try and score an academy for the center channel as I've read besides getting another forte that the academy is the recommended center. Anyone got any recommendations for my room?? Oh I currently have a SVS PB-10 that I will need to unload/trade at some point for another sub that will match the Forte color (Oiled Oak). Any advice on what sub would work?? Appreciate the help!

post-42955-13819685074782_thumb.jpg

I am in the process of doing the same, upgrading to a Home Theatre, from my two channel. I also own original in 1990 Forte II's (Oal Oiled). I asked on the Forum for suggestions for a center speaker. I was told first choice: Klf C 7, and second choice if not willing to wait get the Academy speaker. Ipurchased athe KLF C 7; and it has been a perfect match to my Forte II's. Even my wife loves them.

Secondly, I updated my Forte II's. First updated crossovers and Titanium Tweeters from Bob Crities. Then I contacted Klipsch Parts Dept. and bought Titanium Mids. I did all the work myself, just need a srewdriver and about a half hour of time. Was fairly easy project. The results were stellar, sound as good if better than I recall they did new.

My next set, I ordered Klipsch Heresy III for my rear speakers. Especially as the Heresy III's have Titanium already and they will compliment the Forte's, if you could use Walnut or Cherry finish they our discount on Ebay, will save you about $500/600 for a pair, the sound is great. Forte II's are very flexible, comments on the forum strongly suggested that the forte II's are great flexible speakers. Especially as they rarely need a sub woofer.

Good luck. Feel free to respond if I can be of further help. My Heresy III should be here in a few weeks. BTW do you have a five channel Ampflier, and a processor take a look at www.emotiva.com They have a sale currently, glad to answer any questions on this as well. Regards, Jeff

Thanks for the response. I've read mixed reviews of the C-7 and Forte's I have found both a C-7 and an Academy not sure which one to get at the moment, they are priced the same.

I need to upgrade my forte's as well they are still bone stock. I put new crites networks and titanium diaphragms in my heresy 2's and boy what a difference!

I'm really going to need to mount the rear surrounds up out of the way so maybe the small KG 1.2's might be an option?

Sadly I will have to part ways with my SVS PB10 sub that I have enjoyed for the past couple of years. I will be looking to replace it with a "Compact" model something that will be concealed inside of my entertainment center it will need to fit an opening of 15x16x16 any recommendations?

I'd get the Academy if you can find one, and it's priced similarly to a C7. Both are hard to find without paying huge shipping costs. You could also just get both if they are local and priced OK - try them out for yourself. Both are easy to sell.

With Forte IIas mains, I used KG-4.5 speakers as surrounds to good effect; they're good sounding and not too ugly and wife can put flower pots on top..

If you must mount speakers, maybe Quartets are an option? If they have to be much smaller, i'd go for RS-52, they are brilliant surrounds and it's not big deal they're from different series;

Front is different story, however; as a center i would reccoment Forte, Quartet or Academy; if none of those fit, you could try KV-3.

No, I wouldn't "mount" Quartets. They have a rear passive radiator (like the Forte) and need room to breathe. They are also heavy and quite large for mounting. I agree that a KG series rear floor speaker would work from any of the options. The .5 series are taller and skinnier (deeper, though) than the .2 series (shorter, wider). If you want to mount some speakers, a KG1 would work and you can put it flush on your wall as it is a sealed cabinet. The design is like a mini Forte, and has the same finises, grills, laser logo badges. There was also some inwall speakers a while back that were similar to the KG 2.2/5 that would work well in that room.

I am in the process of doing the same, upgrading to a Home Theatre, from my two channel. I also own original in 1990 Forte II's (Oal Oiled). I asked on the Forum for suggestions for a center speaker. I was told first choice: Klf C 7, and second choice if not willing to wait get the Academy speaker. Ipurchased athe KLF C 7; and it has been a perfect match to my Forte II's. Even my wife loves them.

Secondly, I updated my Forte II's. First updated crossovers and Titanium Tweeters from Bob Crities. Then I contacted Klipsch Parts Dept. and bought Titanium Mids. I did all the work myself, just need a srewdriver and about a half hour of time. Was fairly easy project. The results were stellar, sound as good if better than I recall they did new.

My next set, I ordered Klipsch Heresy III for my rear speakers. Especially as the Heresy III's have Titanium already and they will compliment the Forte's, if you could use Walnut or Cherry finish they our discount on Ebay, will save you about $500/600 for a pair, the sound is great. Forte II's are very flexible, comments on the forum strongly suggested that the forte II's are great flexible speakers. Especially as they rarely need a sub woofer.

Good luck. Feel free to respond if I can be of further help. My Heresy III should be here in a few weeks. BTW do you have a five channel Ampflier, and a processor take a look at www.emotiva.com They have a sale currently, glad to answer any questions on this as well. Regards, Jeff

I've owned both the KLF C7 and a few Academies. The Academy is the correct speaker made by Klipsch to match the Chorus II, Forte II and the Quartets.

The KLF C7 was made to match the Legend series of speakers: the KLF 10, KLF 20 and KLF 30.

For a center speaker between my Forte IIs I've use a few different speaekers before I found an Academy. I've used the KLF C7, a Heresy, a KG 2.2, a KV-2 and in the end I think the Academy was the best match trimbre match and the correct matching center for that family.

• 2 weeks later...