RF-7ll Distance

A1UC

I am wondering what distance RF-7ll owners are sitting from there RF-7ll's Im about 8ft and wondering if this is my problem with the horns feeling ear piercing ? Im ready to replace them over this but want hear what others experience

DSC_0114.jpg

Guest davidness

I have RF-7's, and my distance is about 11.5'. Looking at your picture, your position appears to be a lot more than 8ft to the listening position, as it appears further away than my setup. I do have my speakers separated more than yours. You might try swapping positions with those (outrageously large) subs. Make sure you run whatever EQ your receiver has. It appears to be a carpeted floor, which would be good, but I don't see much on the walls to absorb/deflect HF sound. You might try putting a few objects into the room to try to alter the room accoustics.

I have never though my RF-7's were in any way ear-piercing. To me they sound awesome!

I am wondering what distance RF-7ll owners are sitting from their RF-7ll's I'm about 8 ft [back] and wondering if this is my problem with the horns feeling ear piercing?

DSC_0114.jpg

I'm not an RF-7II owner, but I've got some suggestions just looking at your pictures (and thanks for posting your pictures-it saves a lot of time).

In order of ease of implementation:

1) Put some soft fuzzy material such as a lap quilt, comforter, or blanket over your leather chairs on each side of your listening position(s). Leather chairs reflect a lot of hf energy.

2) Push your fronts and center speakers against the front wall--to within an inch of touching the front wall, and move your equipment rack against the wall, if possible. This will increase their mid-bass and low-bass response measurably. Toe them in to aim directly at your center listening position - this will significantly improve imaging.

3) Try putting something on top of your fronts that is fuzzy but rigid enough to stick out in front of the speaker about 1-2 inches. Auralex tiles work very well for this. What you are trying to achieve by doing this is to absorb some ceiling bounce energy from the top horns and the woofers that are spilling excess energy in the ~400 to ~2000 Hz band. This will sound "shrill" and hard.

4) Try to find a nice large bookcase or false wall on the right side that can act as a corner reflector backstop for your right front RF-77II. The corner reflector needs to be at least as high as your fronts and extend to the front wall and out into the room about 2-3 feet (at least). You could even use your subs if stacked one on top of the other, high and narrow to form a false wall. If you try this, turn the subs around so that the driver face is facing the wall with about 6" of clearance. Spread your fronts out so that they're symmetric with your TV and the right front RF-77II is touching your subs.

5) Add diffusers or absorption tiles to your ceiling. I'd tack them up with thumb tacks first, and arrange them halfway back to your listening chair, and extending across the front from side-to-side in line with your fronts.

6) EQ the fronts down a bit on the hf using a shelf filter with negative gain.

7) Try out a class "A" amplifier to drive your fronts to soften the sound. I'd be careful about using tube electronics, especially SETs since they are usually low power and introduce a fair amount of harmonic distortion.

Chris

[Can you recommend a class A amplifier?]

First Watt (another Nelson Pass company that is not part of Pass Labs) makes an excellent one - the F3. If you can find an F5 used, that would be even better, but they're rare.

If you are thinking about bi-amping, then this will clean up the sound of the RF-7IIs immensely. The other Pass Labs amps are excellent but extremely pricey. There are many other SS class "A" amps out there. Some are very expensive. Good tube electronics are even more expensive and have reliability issues. I'm sure that others on the forum will chime in on this count.

Chris

XPA-5 Class A/B

Remember that I put the amplifier last on the list of things to do. I'd say you have room acoustics issues, not really an amplifier issue - I'd try the other suggestions first.

There are a lot of class A/B amplifiers out there, some are very good, some are less good. Price is a good indicator, unfortunately. I'd also look at McIntosh SS - these are fairly good, but be careful about the THD and SNR of older units.

Chris

I don't like direct-radiating speakers (...any of them...), so my opinion on your question will not be valid.

I'd be happy to explain why I hold that opinion, but you didn't ask that question... [:)]

Chris

1ft from the wall

I'd make that 1 inch, not one foot, and try stacking the second sub on top of the other on the right with the business ends pointed at the wall. I'd like to know if that increases your overall bass envelopment.

Chris