Help with Onkyo 809- Emotiva

Mborso1029

Current setup is

Onkyo 809, - RF62ll's - RC52 - and RS42ll x4

I just ordered a RC 64ll To upgrade from a 52.I cannot wait to hear the difference Between the two, BUT next week i will be ordering a set of the cherry RF 7ll, so i want to make sure i have good clean power to push them and the 64ll. Im looking at ordering the XPA-3 tonight for my front channels. im just wondering if i should bite the bullet and order it or kind of wait and see what they sound like running off of the onkyo. If anybodys had a set up like this id like to get some real time feedback from moving up from the onkyo internal to the separate XPA3. Or even any other 3 channel amp suggestions. ive been racking my brain trying to figure out which amp to go with but the emotiva seems like it suits me best.

I like Emotiva fine but don't rush it.Try the Onkyo and give it a few sessions then decide if it's enough.If it's not you can always add an amp, and Emotiva is a great bargain in gear.Oh...and Congrats on the speaker upgrade, should be sweet.

Check out the outlaw 7125 7x125 watt amp. I have it pushing my 7's and its a great smoothe sounding amp. If you have a normal listening environment, this amp should be enough. If you are running just a 5 channel you could biamp the 7's. Just a suggestion. I like this amp better than the XPA-5. I think its smoother sounding and i dont have my hum issue anymore for whatever reason it was there it isnt anymore! As for the power part of it all, i dont notice a difference and i have had them all cranked. I know that the 7125 is 300 more than the xpa-3 but you also get 4 more channels and you wouldnt have to erely on the onkyo for power.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7125.html

I went from the 709 to the 3008 + XPA-5 because I didn't trust the 709's power rating while pushing 7 speakers. It sounded good as it was but I really wanted the head room that the XPA-5 provided, especially when paired with the larger amp in the 3008 which now only powers two of the speakers. It may just come down to how loud you want your music, I wanted the capability of getting really loud :)

Ya right now I'm running 7.1. I'll check the outlaw stuff out. As of now I do have the little bit of background noise went the audio goes quiet it hums drives me crazy, another reason I was looking to amp

I don't see how an amp will help with noise floor of prepro section or hum from unknown source.If it did help with either one you have a faulty unit to start with.

Ya right now I'm running 7.1. I'll check the outlaw stuff out. As of now I do have the little bit of background noise went the audio goes quiet it hums drives me crazy, another reason I was looking to amp

my hum noise has to have been coming from the amp itself or from a groundloop within the interconnect wires between my umc-1 and the amp. Since you are just using a receiver, it sounds to me like you have a ground loop from another piece of equipment that is connected to the receiver. I would troubleshoot that first before you jump into the world of separates.

also, when you compare any of the emotiva amps to the outlaw amps, keep in mind that emotiva rates their amps at 1khz and outlaw rates theirs full range. If you pit emotiva agaisnt outlaw, both at full range, youd notice that the emotiva amp produces less power. The xpa amps will still produce more than the outlaw but it will be less than the 200 per channel.

also, when you compare any of the emotiva amps to the outlaw amps, keep in mind that emotiva rates their amps at 1khz and outlaw rates theirs full range. If you pit emotiva agaisnt outlaw, both at full range, youd notice that the emotiva amp produces less power. The xpa amps will still produce more than the outlaw but it will be less than the 200 per channel.

Please tell me where you received or read this information? Are you saying that it would be better to pay 300 more dollars for less power because outlaw supposedly tests their amps at full range(which is have never read) and emotiva only to 1khz?

Total Harmonic Distortion: < 0.05% at rated output, all frequencies, 0.01% at 1 kHz. OUTLAW?

Outlaw 7125:
Power Output: 7 x 125 watts RMS at 8 ohms, all channels driven from 20 Hz to 20kHz with less than 0.05% THD 7 x 190 watts RMS at 4 ohms, all channels driven from 20 Hz to 20kHz with less than 0.05% THD

i wasnt discussing the THD but the power ratings themselves.

I was not insinuating anything rather you are make inferences. I am surafcing information that allows a person to realize that the power ratings are apples to oranges and not apples to apples. Because of the difference in testing, there should be a power derivation. Aside from the information listed, this was something discussed when i called outlaw prior to ordering my amp. I hadnt realized how emotiva rated their amps until they told me and i looked at emos test spec sheets and noticed it. After buying my outlaw and having it work as an amp should IMO while my xpa-5 didnt and my syste, is the same down to the wires, can i justify $300 more for an amp with less power per channel and a smoother sound...Yes. You and others may not agree with this but if we all couldntjustify it, rotel, b&k, mark levinson, classe, mcintosh would all be out of business.

XPA-5 test data via their test spec sheets (please reference for the 1kz test data spec)
http://emotiva.com/specs/XPA-5%208ohm.pdf

It would be nice if outlaw also delivered spec sheets like emotiva does but they dont.

Did you notice any clearer sound after upgrading to the xpa5 from the onkyo

I wouldn't say that it got any clearer as the AVR alone was already doing a good job in that respect. Where I saw the biggest gain was at high volume. The speakers seemed to be doing more work with less effort. In other words there wasn't any semblance of the system feeling strained or over worked. It should be noted that I'm referring to having all seven speakers running off of the AVR versus now having five on the XPA and only two being powered by the AVR.

Outlaw 7125:
Power Output: 7 x 125 watts RMS at 8 ohms, all channels driven from 20 Hz to 20kHz with less than 0.05% THD 7 x 190 watts RMS at 4 ohms, all channels driven from 20 Hz to 20kHz with less than 0.05% THD

i wasnt discussing the THD but the power ratings themselves.

I was not insinuating anything rather you are make inferences. I am surafcing information that allows a person to realize that the power ratings are apples to oranges and not apples to apples. Because of the difference in testing, there should be a power derivation. Aside from the information listed, this was something discussed when i called outlaw prior to ordering my amp. I hadnt realized how emotiva rated their amps until they told me and i looked at emos test spec sheets and noticed it. After buying my outlaw and having it work as an amp should IMO while my xpa-5 didnt and my syste, is the same down to the wires, can i justify $300 more for an amp with less power per channel and a smoother sound...Yes. You and others may not agree with this but if we all couldntjustify it, rotel, b&k, mark levinson, classe, mcintosh would all be out of business.

XPA-5 test data via their test spec sheets (please reference for the 1kz test data spec)
http://emotiva.com/specs/XPA-5%208ohm.pdf

It would be nice if outlaw also delivered spec sheets like emotiva does but they dont.

O, ok, so Outlaw told you. I believe it then. [;)]

Bottom line is that in most in-home listening environments, one rarely, if ever, NEEDS more than 125 watts with Klipsch speakers. In fact, I'd bet that few of us ever push an amp beyond 60 watts for any in room listening of more than one song. It's really about the quality of the product and the "fit" of the amp, pre-amp and source to the speakers.

You hit that one on the head , I was using a Onkyo PR-SC5508 and a XPA-5 to drive my setup then last week I picked up a TX-SR806 used for my garage , well I wanted to test it out to make it worked so I pulled the 5508 and XPA-5 .Guess what I was in shock I could not tell any diffrence in sound

or power using the 130w Onkyo 806 So to make this story short I bought a TX-NR809 Last night for 700.00 shipped and Im going to sell my 5508 and

XPA-5 for my size room its just right . I also watched a movie last night and never even thought twice about keeping the 5508 and XPA-5 2400.00 VS 700.00

Klipsch RF-7II 101db
Klipsch RC-64II 97db
RS-62II 99db

Required Power: The RMS watts per channel required to produce music at
the desired SPL at the listening position.

speaker sens. (1w/1M) listener distance desired SPL amp. headroom required power
104db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 27 watts
101db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 53 watts
98db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 106 watts
95db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 212 watts
92db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 422 watts
89db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 842 watts
86db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 1681 watts
83db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 3354 watts
80db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 6691 watts
77db 15' (4.6M) 90db 15db 13,351 watts
104db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 1 watt
101db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 2 watts
98db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 3 watts
95db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 6 watts
92db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 12 watts
89db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 24 watts
86db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 48 watts
83db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 96 watts
80db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 191 watts
77db 8' (2.46M) 80db 15db 382 watts

A1UC, I love the spreadsheet. Is that a spreadsheet, or did you copy paste it? On another thread I saw where a guy was telling people how Klipsch fans WOW his 90 db Infinity speakers. As it would take near 800 watts to reproduce what the La Scala can do with 27 watts, I am less than wow-ing. In fact, the speakers had a rating of 275 watts, which means they cannot be as loud at any level than the laScala at a nominal 25 watts.

Thanks for the post!

Craig

Gotta love the efficiency of Klipsch speakers.

I did a little calc a while back for how much power I'd need with my listening requirements (-20dB from reference, ie peaks on each satellite channel of up to 85dB, average levels of 65dB) with my completed system (RF-5s: 99dB w/ 2.83V, 8.5 feet from MLP, RC-3II: 97dB w/ 2.83V, 8 feet from MLP, RF-15: 96dB w/ 2.83V, 7 feet from MLP; assuming all are 4 ohm nominal). Even if all 5 channels peaked at once at -20dB from reference (the limit of "comfortably loud" to me at least), I'd need 3.3 watts into 4 ohms, and 2 amperes worth of current for all 5 channels combined. For -10dB (ie considerably louder than I personally desire to listen), that figure goes up to 33 watts and 6.4 amperes. You don't exactly need kilowatt monoblocks to produce those levels, although I certainly wouldn't turn them down if someone gave them to me [:P].

I say go with the Emotiva. I got the XPA-5 and it woke my RF-83s up. They sounded much cleaner and better at all volumes. I was usng my Denon 4308 before that and it sounded pretty good but not nearly as good. I too am getting the RF-7iis/RC-64ii and am glad I have the Emotiva to power them. Also, Emotiva has great customer service. I broke a RCA plug the day I got my amp (I tripped on a cable and nearly ripped it out). I told them what happened and they said, "Accidents happen, we'll fix that for you at no cost." I had to pay shipping there and that's all. They paid to ship it back to me. I was very impressed.