beginer turntable

The Dude

A buddy of mine up in Alaska is looking for a entery level table to start with sounds like something under 100.00 would be on the top of his list. I was looking at the needledoctor and came across this. http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-LP60-Fully-Automatic-Turntable-with-Switchable-Phono-Pre-amp?sc=2&category=46 I like how it has the built in phono pre amp, but don like that it has a proprietary moving-magnet phono cartridge. They list a replacement stylus but who knows how long that will be around. I would think if he doesn't go with one like this he will need to spring for a phono pre amp.

Any other suggestions would be great.

thanks

Nick

I'm with you on the stylus. But a hundred bucks is less than most people spend on the cartridge alone. My only concern would be the damage a heavy stylus would have on LP's. If it is near 2 grams it is great. If it is 10, ouch. How can you know? Is this listed on the manufacturer website, because I didn't see it on neddledoctor.

As far as replacing the cart, I wouldn't really worry too much. It's kind of like buying a motor and transmission to fix your used Yugo.

I don't mean to poo-poo the thing. It's a sure pretty thing. It's just that I have learned over the years that you do get what you pay for. If the needle pressure is low, I wouldn't be afraid of it. If it doesn't work out, you're not out much at all.

Mustang is right, you get what you pay for. If you want the best, or even a good "mid range" table expect to pay around 400-600 dollars.

I own the next step up, the AP 120 (the non USB version, which they don't make anymore). It works, it plays records well, and it isn't very noisy. Though I have read reviews where people said it hummed a lot when nothing was playing. Mine hasn't done that.

I paid around 180.00 for mine. It works well for now, but I am certainly looking at other places. There are a few companies out there that make turn tables still, the name brands like Sony and Panasonic (I think they still make one).

But Mustang is right, you get what you pay for.

It will play lp's well enough but it is strictly a beginner type table. Stylus replacement is the last thing I would worry about, audio technica is perhaps the easiest to find. I still replace my AT stylus often on a 33 year old cartridge. The built in switchable pre amp is just the ticket for a budget receiver with no phono inputs. I bought one for my brother in law maybe ten or so years ago and he's still using it.

The specs such as tracking force should be in the users manual, I suspect it is not overly heavy.

This turntable is being sold at it's MSRP $99.95. Needledoctor says the list is $149. Perhaps it used to be, but the manufacturer site has it as $99.95.

The cartridge has a 0.6 mil conical stylus. That's pretty fine, and I think it would be a fairly light pressure need. The pressure is not listed in the manual for the turntable or the specs for either the cartridge or the stylus. Conical is the lowest grade, and provides the least reproduction with the most damage due to it's focused contact area on the track walls. I don't think I would play any of my expensive and vg-mint records on the thing, but I would probably be happy to play the kind you routinely find at flea markets for a buck a piece.

As the MSRP is $99.95, I would shop around and find one for less.

FWIW, they give away Bang & Olufsen turntables on Ebay with cartriges. As I recall, B&O was at the top of the class back when I was in college in the early 80's.

Good call Mustang, I think B&O tables can be a great value and sound very good. ...when they work. They are a very "delicate" design so usually damaged or not in too good of shape if the owners were less than meticulous. But if you can find a nice one, and there are a lot of them out there I would recommend it.

I think it is the EE20 cartridge that was their best. But if you have to buy a new cartridge it is several hundred an then it really doesn't make financial sense anymore.

This turntable is being sold at it's MSRP $99.95. Needledoctor says the list is $149. Perhaps it used to be, but the manufacturer site has it as $99.95.

The cartridge has a 0.6 mil conical stylus. That's pretty fine, and I think it would be a fairly light pressure need. The pressure is not listed in the manual for the turntable or the specs for either the cartridge or the stylus. Conical is the lowest grade, and provides the least reproduction with the most damage due to it's focused contact area on the track walls. I don't think I would play any of my expensive and vg-mint records on the thing, but I would probably be happy to play the kind you routinely find at flea markets for a buck a piece.

As the MSRP is $99.95, I would shop around and find one for less.

This is going for 75.00 on Amazon, I think he pulled the trigger didn't give me anytime to talk to him. But he will mainly only be playing garage sale vinyl. Now I just need to win a auction on a pair of Klipsch bookshelfs to prevent him from buing the sony speakers on Amazon.

Thanks guys

Nick

Can i get your opinions on this please? Its a Thorens TD166mkII.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-CLASSIC-THORENS-TURNTABLE-W0QQAdIdZ346820260. Looks like the original owner...

Garb it! $350 seems like a fair price and it looks to be in great condition. The detatchable arm tube was something new for Thorens in that era and I don't know how it sounds but the base table is a solid workhorse. try for $275-300 but I wouldn't let it go for $50. Could be a long time before you find something better.

Can i get your opinions on this please? Its a Thorens TD166mkII.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-CLASSIC-THORENS-TURNTABLE-W0QQAdIdZ346820260. Looks like the original owner...

I have this table, did you pick it up. I put a good stylus on I will have to look it up were I got it from but for 30-40$ its a darn good stylus. I don't see anyproblems with the arm I am currently using it now.