Anyone interested in a high WAF Klipsch system?

cornfedksboy

Reading this thread, it got me to thinking. Why not take a vinatage console, which already has some history and character. Give it a complete overhaul, refinish it. new guts, modern receiver, and internal ipad, and find a set of Heresy II's for $400 with beat up cabinets...breed new life in the cabinet. Man, i think my wife would love that. Set it up so you could use it as a 2 Channel Stereo, or use it as a centre channel.

That just sounds good to me for some reason. Cane colored Grill cloth....hmmmm.

I just found about 10 console stereo's locally for less than $100. Some really cool old school stuff.

There are some folks doing this, but due to the cost/labor of completing such a system, it's fairly limited. The addition of the modern receiver w/ airplay (maybe a Denon AVR) will run you $1000.00 with interconnects. That's already $1500.00 in parts plus labor, but they are pretty cool!

Yeah I know. RF 7ii tweets and cones.... Not Heresies as he wrote.

Since a pair of RF-7ii is $3200, does that really change the overall equation significantly in favor of saying that the console is a horrible value? I only said Heresies as its the closest thing Klipsch has to a premium bookshelf at the moment without going to the Palladium line.

Well I got my RF7ii's for $1700 brand new. So yes the equation does change IMO. Also your not getting a full RF7 set, it's more like a bookshelf version of yhe RF 7ii's. Heresies have nothing to do with it. So as I said before, the speaker you described is imaginary. As for value..... I can see that some people would put more value on a quality piece of furniture than others. Since we know alot about the speakers we can put a cash value on that part based on experience. What we don't know is the quality of the cabinet. I guess that could change the value tremendously. So I could agree that depending upon the cabinet quality then the value could be there.

Not trying to sway your opinion or anything, but to be fair, The estimated MSRP on the Console of $5500-7000.00 should be compared against the MSRP of whatever speaker you want to compare it to (i.e. RF-7 II, Heresy III, RB-81 II) and not the price you paid. Who's to say that they wouldn't have a B-Stock one of these for $3000.00 as an internet direct special?

To do a more conventional set-up that would do the same thing, say 2 RB-81 IIs, an SW-311, and a Denon AVR with AirPlay, that comes in at $3300.00. Some wife approved speaker stands and interconnects with cost another $500.00. At that point you are at $3800.00 and you haven't even bought a TV stand, much less a vibration free hardwood model.

Second option would be 2 RF-7 IIs and no sub or speaker stands. Using the same Denon and $200.00 for wires...that's $4700.00 sans the TV stand.

Value is really about what the consumer sees. The MSRP is in the ballpark. The value is very subjective.

Rather than a center speaker/sub, it is a nice TV stand that does center and sub. The question is, where do you put the receiver, blu ray and cable box? I cane see the need for a matchng component rack, and some heritage style matching mains. That would give the Palladium a run for it's money.

Rather than a center speaker/sub, it is a nice TV stand that does center and sub.

It's a R/L 2-channel system with 2 subwoofers, not a center channel/sub.

The question is, where do you put the receiver, blu ray and cable box? I cane see the need for a matchng component rack, and some heritage style matching mains.

It's integrated to run off of the Apple Wireless platform. No receiver or amplifiers needed. On the other hand, I'm not sure where the blu-ray and cable box would go.

Well I got my RF7ii's for $1700 brand new. So yes the equation does change IMO.

What you paid is ultimately irrelevant. We can only compare MSRP to MSRP.

Also your not getting a full RF7 set, it's more like a bookshelf version of yhe RF 7ii's.

OK, the RB-75 back in 2003 retailed for $1200, and that only came with an 8" woofer, not a 10". For such a contraption today, accounting for inflation and the larger woofer, $1500 wouldn't be particularly unreasonable, and not that far off from the $1700 price I gave for the Heresies in my original reckoning.

What we don't know is the quality of the cabinet. I guess that could change the value tremendously.

That and the amplification and front end. ICEpower would make a lot of sense for this system, and it doesn't come cheap. A stereo pre/pro+active crossover with Audyssey XT32 and Airplay wouldn't be an inexpensive proposition either. Conversely, the system could be run by something more akin to the Denon receiver in Cornfed's example. As I said before, time will tell. We could have something akin to the BeoLab5 ($16000, a rather advanced active speaker with 15" subs and 2500 watts of ICEpower on tap) or an RF-7 being driven by a Denon receiver.

It's a R/L 2-channel system with 2 subwoofers, not a center channel/sub.

It does say it can be used as a center and sub. I am all for this product and TBO I wouldnt mind having it in my living room with a 70" flat screen on top. I'd prefer it in a high gloss cherry wood or red sedona though! The black is nice it just shows dust very easily.

Reading this thread, it got me to thinking. Why not take a vinatage console, which already has some history and character. Give it a complete overhaul, refinish it. new guts, modern receiver, and internal ipad, and find a set of Heresy II's for $400 with beat up cabinets...breed new life in the cabinet. Man, i think my wife would love that. Set it up so you could use it as a 2 Channel Stereo, or use it as a centre channel.

That just sounds good to me for some reason. Cane colored Grill cloth....hmmmm.

I just found about 10 console stereo's locally for less than $100. Some really cool old school stuff.

They are all probably in fini's garage... [;)] Seems like he was always picking them up and brining them home.