Joe Pa RIP

Pete H

I just heard the announcement that Paterno has passed away and lost the battle with cancer. With all that has transpired in the last few months that news really hit hard. I'll pray for his family as I have for the children that have suffered through the abuse. RIP Joe.

I just checked the news during the half-time of the Baltimore-New England game and saw this annoucement.

Wow indeed!

I had a lot of respect for Joe Pa (and having grown up in Western PA, and was even accepted into Penn State, decided to go to Clarion instead), I was a big fan of Penn State football. I still remember to this day that stunning victory over Florida all those years ago.

Shame that his legacy had to end on such a bad note, with that huge scandal and all.

RIP, Joe Paternal.

I still remember to this day that stunning victory over Florida all those years ago.

Very sad to hear of JoePa's passing. Quite possibly the last man of real integrity in D1-A college football.

But I think you mean Miami, not Florida. Penn State is 0-3 against UF.

Lou

That's correct, it was Miami I think the final score was like 9-6 and Miami came in shooting off about how they were going to run all over Penn State and had some huge PPG average and that's not how it all turned out.

I still remember to this day that stunning victory over Florida all those years ago.

Very sad to hear of JoePa's passing. Quite possibly the last man of real integrity in D1-A college football.

Lou

Yes, you were correct, it was the Miami Hurricanes. I guess I should've checked my facts before posting, but did remember it was a Florida-based team. Turns out it was the 1987 Fiesta Bowl game, where (I did not realize at the time) that Penn State was going into this thing undefeated (11-0), but Miami was the #1 seeded team and the big favorites. But, yes, I remember all the hype and the spouting off from Miami. I think I remember much of the sports media at the time hyping it up as the "Testeverde Bowl". My parents were also having a "bowl party" with much of the local Penn State fans in the area in attendence that night to watch that game. I remember going to the ski hill the next day as there was awesome skiing that weekend. Ahh, those memories..... Indeed, RIP Joe Paterno.