Neil Young hates the sound of today's recordings

Islander

First I have to agree about many recordings sucking, but I think it's been an issue for many decades.While I like Neil Young's music and some recordings are OK he was never a guy I use for reference sound.I'm talkin' Down by the River sounds like it was recorded in a snake pit.I do have a DVD from Red Rocks and the quality is really good.I have cd's from the same era that are fantastic recordings.

Check out Neil's later stuff. He redid lots of his earlier recordings as newer technology became available.

'Live at Massey Hall 1971' from just a few years back is one of the best recordings I've ever heard from anyone, especially the DVD.

I grew up listening Led Zepplin on vinyl as a teen.

On a crummy all in one turn table, cassette and radio unit.

It has been about 25 years since I have listened to any vinyl.

About a month ago I finally got around to getting a Led Zepplin box set.

When I first listened to them something sounded off from what I remembered.

I even thought that the cassettes sounded better from what I remembered.

I just figured it was my newer AVR and how it did what ever it did with sound.

That was through my RD-82II's.

So I decided to dig out my 20 year old Pioneer AVR figuring it might has less processing than the newer one.

And I hooked it up to my rears the RF-52 II's.

And still something did not sound right.

So I decided to to hook it up so the speaker A was on the 52's and the speaker B was on the one of my RW-12d's on the high input.

Still it did not really sound like what I remembered as a teen.

So I gave up thinking maybe this was how it really sounded. And that it was in my head.

Then I read a post about loudness. And I wondered about this.

So anyway to make a long story longer.

I remembered someone saying something about a Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD sounded amazing.

I said to myself a cd is a cd? Right?

So a few days ago I found one on Amazon for $23 and I figured I would get it.

Well it just arrived today and all I can say is WOW. This is how music should sound.

I guess I have spent so many years listening to music on crappy systems I never realized the change over the years.

Now I am not sure if I really want to buy any music that is not on a SACD? Now I am ruined.

I grew up listening Led Zepplin on vinyl as a teen. On a crummy all in one turn table, cassette and radio unit. It has been about 25 years since I have listened to any vinyl. About a month ago I finally got around to getting a Led Zepplin box set. When I first listened to them something sounded off from what I remembered. I even thought that the cassettes sounded better from what I remembered. I just figured it was my newer AVR and how it did what ever it did with sound. That was through my RD-82II's. So I decided to dig out my 20 year old Pioneer AVR figuring it might has less processing than the newer one. And I hooked it up to my rears the RF-52 II's. And still something did not sound right. So I decided to to hook it up so the speaker A was on the 52's and the speaker B was on the one of my RW-12d's on the high input. Still it did not really sound like what I remembered as a teen. So I gave up thinking maybe this was how it really sounded. And that it was in my head. Then I read a post about loudness. And I wondered about this. So anyway to make a long story longer. I remembered someone saying something about a Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD sounded amazing. I said to myself a cd is a cd? Right? So a few days ago I found one on Amazon for $23 and I figured I would get it. Well it just arrived today and all I can say is WOW. This is how music should sound. I guess I have spent so many years listening to music on crappy systems I never realized the change over the years. Now I am not sure if I really want to buy any music that is not on a SACD? Now I am ruined.

I think you are right. Some of the remastered vinyl just doesn't punch. I have a few examples of records that I paid a lot for that I can't stand to listen to. There are a couple of SACD's I don't like the sound of also.

The bottom line is this, the person or people who are doing the remastering are responsible for how good or bad a remastered label sounds. IMO, there are some real do-do's being allowed to bastardize songs. A while back labels started re-releasing mono lp's. I think this is a good step. On an LP there can be a HUGE difference in a mono and stereo press of the same song.

IMO, the best seperation listening should be from SACD's and DVD-A's, and the best LP listening from mono pressings.

He has a point. He's very knowledgeable about recordings and takes great care with his own sound, which is easy to notice.

http://www.nme.com/news/neil-young/61583

This isn't exactly new news, Neil's been an eccentric about recorded audio quality since his early days. He's got a gifted ear and not many artist, that I'm aware, have consistently produced the quality recordings he has.

I enjoy very much listening to his music, especially when it's kick-back and relax time.