Fascinating article about revenue collected by recording artists!

tube fanatic

Now if starving artists were only as good at math as they are at entertaining...they wouldn't be starving.

The chart proves once again it's not about "making" the money per say, but that significant profits are obtainable by intercepting the cash flow of a given market. Why earn a buck when you can simply make bank on someone elses?

I believe that we will see the CD's for at least another 4-5 years. They have no choice but to cater to the bazillions in the market that simply will not ever use "downloads" or online services.

I hope you're right as I actually enjoy handling the physical CD (my son in law thinks I'm nuts, but that's a whole other story.) Guess it's my age!!!

hope you're right as I actually enjoy handling the physical CD

that is an important fact that gets lost in all of this. i've spent many an hour, listening to an LP while holding the album cover and reading practically every word on it. I heard an interview with Alice Cooper, and he was talking about this very thing. He said that when people were holding the albums, it was like they bought a piece of the band, and that enjoyment is lost in this age of downloading music. I agree.

I have no interest in downloads & will always prefer the physical recording. I picked up 8 or 9 cds on the auction site in the last week for less than $4 a piece. Why would I pay .99cents for a single song? I have always been a liner note junkie, checking out all the session players from various tracks. Although I will admit I need glasses to read the notes from cd's these days.