It's always something, Voice coil rub?

Brac

So, watching a movie tonight, I had some crack/pop noises from one of my surrounds. KSP-S6 I pulled the speaker down and pushing on the woofer, one of them has a bit of a rub. In the past I have cut dust caps off to take out trash, but this K-1057-KV has a non-paper cone, with a plastic dust cap. Any thoughts?

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that, maby try to remove the driver and move it around and shake loose something in there ? It's a long shot.

If nothing else try to cut out the dust cap, if it can't be fixed it's probably shot anyway ?

Good luck

In years past, I have had two woofer "failures". Both were K-33's, and in both instances, the chrome plating in the sleeve began to peel. Good news? Well they were from Klipschorns that I had dragged all over the world since 1979.... Bad news? Not worth repairing. When any part of the coil, the sleeve, etc. separates, they are pretty much shot. Now as to why that would happen, particularly on a driver less than 30+ years old, knowing that there is little, if any chance that something actually figured out a way to get in there..... It sounds like the voice coil wire "let go". That would be a manufacture defect of some sort. Other than simply replacing it, I have no idea how to get that fixed, at least economically.

• 3 weeks later...

I may have been wrong about my problem, in that I may not have one. I was only getting a rub when pushing on one side of the driver, so I came to my senses and thought the driver always moves centered. So I checked the source material from movie night, and SOB there it was. So I reassembled and rehung. So far so good. Thanks for the input, I just I jumped too quick, but noises like that from a single channel freak me out quick like.

I'm never surprised at what I can hear on a recording on a good set of speakers. Things like iffy edits on a master tape (can cause a "skip" type sound )or a bumpy edit can cause a tape lurch and flutter. Noise in the studio, bumps and thumps by the musicians. I have one recording where I can hear the rumbling of the a/c system, another where I can clearly hear some street traffic outside, and even one where the conductor leading a Mahler symphony grunts and sings his way through it (all off key, of course). When I can identify positions of oppsies, I listen on my other system and confirm the noise is recorded.

• Moderators

Well that's good, very good, your speakers is not shot it was just doing it's job well enough to make you think it was broken. [Y]

I'm never surprised at what I can hear on a recording on a good set of speakers

Your right, in the spring or fall and we watch a movie with the windows open I "think I hear things all the time. Cars pulling up, dogs barking, all kinds of things. I have even got up to check the radar once because i thought i heard distant thunder, you feel so dumb when you realize it in the movie.