Let's design a center speaker for Heritage

mustang guy

Why would a horn with 7.5 sq in entrance and 140 sq in exit, not have any bass? Also, I am talking about 65 or 70 hz at best. Is there some calculation on minimum mouth size for given frequencies?

I found one formula; don't know how accurate it is:

http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/horndesign.html

Using a Size Factor of 2, I came up with 0.736 square meters needed or 1340 square inches for 80Hz.

Why would a horn with 7.5 sq in entrance and 140 sq in exit, not have any bass? Also, I am talking about 65 or 70 hz at best. Is there some calculation on minimum mouth size for given frequencies?

I found one formula; don't know how accurate it is:

http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/horndesign.html

Using a Size Factor of 2, I came up with 0.736 square meters needed or 1340 square inches for 80Hz.

Good information. Thanks!

• Moderators

Old design

Take a Heresy, LaScala, or Cornwall, turn 90 degrees if you must, and connect. [6]

Not enough room? [:o] Something in the way, move it, can't be that important really that it can't be moved a little. [:o]

WAF a problem, give her some ideas of other hobby's your considering instead of this, that should help. [Y]

Guns, strippers, weekly beer parties, cars, boats, this list can be endless. Just leave out the ones your doing already especialy the second one.

FWIW, if I were tasked with designing a "reasonable sized" Heritage center, given that the horn loaded bass idea is a no-go, a pair of 10" woofers would still do pretty nicely, at least compared to the single 12" of the Heresy. If the system were designed for a -3dB point of 80Hz, you could still get pretty high output and reasonably low distortion.

Edit:Something like this but "klipschier" http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/triple-12ht/

A KLF20 turned on its side will get you into the low 30 hertz and with lots of output from dual ten inch woofers. Members have done this in the past. What more could you ask for? Use the mid horne of your choice if you want to match to your front left and right speakers. Best regards Moray James.

I have seen an Acadamy go for more than some of the KLF 20 pairs out there. That is not the point though. The best performance will be with matching the fronts to the cente speaker. You can build a new cabinet to suit for the centre position for any heritage speaker you like or have. If you have to make some compromise in your set up then do so if you don't want to or can't then use the best cente that you can that works for you.

You can buy the horns to build most any Heritage speaker that you want so that leaves you only to find suitable woofers. I think that it would be cheaper to buy a used pait of what ever you need and sell the unused or keep as spare parts or use as a rear centre. Best regards Moray James.