Please help decide on AVR for my KLF-20

Sekal

Dear Klipsch gurus! I have a pair of KLF-20 and LOVE them! My setup is simple;FLAC --> Laptop --> HDMI-->TV-->Yamaha 5.1 AVR --> KLF20. Yamaha 5.1 AVR belongs to another system and needs to go back. KLF-20 specks are here http://www.klipsch.com/klf-20 (POWER HANDLING: 200 watts maximum continuous (800 watts peak)). I can't decide which receiver to get, or should it be receiver plus AMP? Should it be NEW (like this Sony STR-DN1010 7.1-Channel for 215$ http://onecall.store.buy.com/p/sony-str-dn1010-7-1-channel-3d-ready-home-theater-receiver/215476520.html or OLD, may be something from Chicago Craigs list? I'm willing to spent 200-300$. Would be nice if I can set it up so I can listen music without having to turn ON the TV. Thank you all for the help with this uneasy decision.

Its funny, Dennie is reffering you to the exact receiver that I am listening to right now with my KLF20's! It isn't a true avr however. It is a two channel stereo with a zone 2 feature which I am using to signal another receiver for my kitchen and bathroom speakers. In addition to that it still has the traditional A/B speaker capability. It also does have an optical but no HDMI.

I would comment on the sound quality of the Onkyo, but my KLFs are new (to me) and I've never powered them with anything else plus I've only owned a small handful of receivers in my life. No complaints though. These KLFs do rock the house!

I'm not clear if you're wanting a true avr or a stereo receiver. If it is a stereo reciever you want then I will second Denie's notion to buy the Onkyo. It was $199 for a refurbished one at accessoriesforless.com last time I looked. That is where I got mine and no worries with the refurbished part.

Thank you for the replies.

I think I need a true AV receiver rather than stereo receiver, because it is in my living room and used for TV, also i would prefer one with HDMI input.

The Marantz SR5005 is to expensive, however Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver is 260$ and in the price range. Why is it better than other receivers out there, for example Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver (239$)? Can 5.1 or 7.1 be used for just 2 speakers? What exactly to look for in specks?

Hey Sekal, in your price range, don't worry about "specks" too much, get the one that has the features you want. Yes, you can use a 5.1 or7.1 AVR for 2 channel listening, without any problems. A lot of us do that.

One thing I would look for is that it has "Pre-Outs", so you can add a separate amp for the mains, if you so desire.

Stereo or 2 channel receivers in the same price range will often (but not always) be better than a 5 or 7 channel AVR. Typically they will have a better power supply and amp section, since your only powering 2 channels, instead of 5 or 7, for the same price.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask and keep us posted,

Dennie

Onkyo has something called WRAT. Wide Range Amp Technology which begins with the tx 609 AVR. The 509 does not have this. Whether its marketing BS or not, well it probably is. The point is however, it is a step up in the "guts" of the receiver. The 8050 also has this.

I highly recomend looking at accessoriesforless.com because I think they have the tx 609 for about $300 or less. It is refurbished but it still comes with the full warranty.

I have both the 609 and the 8050 and really like them both.

I'm using a Pioneer ELITE VSX-49TXi and this little puppy can THUMP. 160wpc @ 6-ohm with 7.1 + Zone B. It even has a bi-amp (not bi-wire) capability using the Zone-B speaker terminals!

Shoot, a replacement remote for this thing is anywhere from $380 to $500!! Tongue Tied

Good Stuff! [Y]

I have the Elite VSX-41 and use it as a Pre/processor with a Adcom GFA 555 (200wpc) and I can barely turn it up. I love it. [<:o)] IIRC it was $800/$1000 new. Source components are an Elite DV 79avi ($1000 new) universal player and a Pioneer (not Elite [:$]) PL -55x Turntable. It has that "synergy" and really works well together.

But, Sekal is just starting out and has a smaller budget. The AVR's of today are amazing for the price. With a $300 budget, get the features you need.

Dennie

So far I only have 1 recommendation for Onkyo TX-8050 260$. All others are out of my price range. The problem with Onkyo TX-8050 is that it does not have HDMI which is very handy in my setup it looks like I could use network capabilities of the receiver to stream music from my laptop, based on reviews it is not very straightforward method. What other good receivers you could recommend? I'm overwhelmed with number of choices on market. Thanks!

Hi Dennie!!

I forgot to say before that I found my 49 on Craigslist for only $400 when MSRP was $4,500 and it's in great condition. It's just one more avenue to look on.

Once the 49 came home the rest of system #2 started coming together covering 2 rooms and 6 speakers. :) :)

The only bad thing is that their's no HDMI I/O on it. :(