Plate amp question

dtel

• Moderators

Ok I have a strange question about connecting to a plate amp. I will put a pic so you can see what it looks like.

The question is i wanted to run this sub with 2 different setups, for HT it is connected with the normal sub cable with a Y at the end. see pic

If I were to connect to the connections marked "high level input" at the same time with a different setup will it cause a problem like a short or something. Only one setup will be played at a time.

Crazy I know, but think it would work ?

post-11804-13819690634784_thumb.jpg

It might work a bit, the likely outcome is the system that's turned off will be a drain on the signal. Like having a hole in your water tank.

I have found that my pre-amp with 2 pairs of out puts intended to drive a pair of power amps does not work well when one of the amps is turned off. It's like there is a leak, putting it into highly technical terms, lol.

• Moderators

Thanks I had a feeling that would be the problem, if I end up separating the two setups I might try it and see it gets hot ? or maby try some kind of speaker selector to disconnect either set like a A-B switch ?

It was a Adair audio plate amp and they went out of business, it didn't come with a book and I can't find any info for the amp, the good thing is it works fine.

• Moderators

dondavis has two different setups utilizing his massive SVS .. when he was demo'ing everything for me, he just spent a couple of small moments unplugging one set of RCA's and connecting another.

That may be what I have to do.

I am using the Ht receiver for a pre-amp for a second 2 CH setup. I am trying to make it easy for my wife and daughter to turn it on. So i thought about separating the two setups so you can just turn them on without other buttons needing to be pressed.

I will probably just leave the sub for Ht and if I want it for 2 CH I can plug in different cables, don't really need it for 2 CH unless it a recording with weak bass.

I can't speak to that specific amp but I did exactly what you are describing with my Dayton plate amp amp and it worked fine.

I had the LFE output from my AVR going to the RCA inputs and the speaker outputs of my 2-channel rig running through the "High Level" connections.

The subwoofer was the only thing the 2 systems shared. It took a bit of futzing with the sub level on the AVR but once I got it dialed in it sounded great for both systems.

The other option you might consider is building a little switch box. All it would take is a small box, 3 RCA jacks and a DPDT switch. If you wanted to REALLY get fancy building an automated version keyed on the 12V trigger out wouldn't be hard to do either. I'd be happy to do it for you for the cost of parts and a 12-pack of decent beer.

The fellow who owned Adire Audio is Dan Wiggins. I haven't seen him there in a while but he used to hang out at the Home Theater Lounge Forum a lot. Maybe someone there can hook you up with him. He might be able to give you a good answer.

I still have a pair of Adire speakers that I built from kits many years ago. Adire was a great company to deal with. I'm sorry that they closed up shop.

• Moderators

I still have a pair of Adire speakers that I built from kits many years ago. Adire was a great company to deal with. I'm sorry that they closed up shop.

It was, the first sub I built was there design ideas, a Shiva driver in a 5 cf ported box with that amp. It did well until I tried it with the MWM's one day, I fried the driver trying to keep up. It was a good company to deal with, the first driver I got from them had a glue problem, i sent it back and they replaced it free.

• Moderators

The other option you might consider is building a little switch box. All it would take is a small box, 3 RCA jacks and a DPDT switch. If you wanted to REALLY get fancy building an automated version keyed on the 12V trigger out wouldn't be hard to do either. I'd be happy to do it for you for the cost of parts and a 12-pack of decent beer.

Well thanks, I may have to do something like that ? I am still looking at what I need to separate both systems and everything still have all the connections i need to share the blu-ray player and satellite box.

I have enough good bass in 2 Ch without the sub but with some music I do like the sub also, still thinking about how I will get a signal to even send to the sub, I guess it will have to come from the DAC or Pre-amp. I am looking at the DAC from Emotiva mostly because it's the cheapest way for me. Even at $249 it won't happen quickly, which is a good thing considering they are out of stock anyway.

I never had a DAC or Pre-amp before and know nothing about them, and most are way to expensive for me anyway.

If you would, look at this and tell me if you think it looks OK, It looks like I could use it as a pre-amp for 2 ch.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda1

I don't have to "look" at it. Up until a couple of weeks ago I owned one of them.

It would be a VERY good 2 channel preamp with a few caveats. So long as what you're feeding it with is 100% digital it's great. It does not have any analog inputs for things like tuners or turntables. Nor does it have anything like a "dedicated" subwoofer output or bass management.

The general "buzz" in the Emotiva world is that there's a new XDA-? coming out soon that addresses all of the "shortcomings" of the XDA-1. To date there has been no official announcement from Emotiva about feature set, timeline, or price.

At it's price point it is a spectular DAC and will function well as a 2-channel preamp so long as you're comfortable with ONLY digital sources.

Oh... Almost forgot... The USB port on the XDA-1 is limited to 44.1K/48K (I.E. CD quality) input streams. It's USB V1 and will NOT take any of the newer 24/96 or 24/96 FLAC files.

Now... All of that said you simply will NOT find a DAC with the functionality or sonics of the XDA-1 at anywhere near $250 if you can live with some minor limitations.

• Moderators

Even better

I would only connect a blu-ray/cd player. probably with optical cable, so all digital connections is no problem.

I use a EV-DX 38 for a crossover, it has XLR for the L & R input, so I could use the XLR from the DAC to the DX. This would free up the RCA output jacks which could go to the sub. I use a low pass on the subs amp and it's crossover instead of bass management...............I think I have it right, or did I figure something wrong ?

All of this is with the hope they ever sell that model again, the newer model will probably cost more I would think.

Looking around there is NOTHING in this price range that even comes close to what I need except that model. And pre-amps are much higher.

Thanks, I just hope I can do something with this at some point and time, I think it would even sound better.

Based on what you've stated the XDA-1 would be a VERY good fit for you.

Let's face it. All anyone wants from a preamp is input switching and volume control. Preferably by remote control in both cases. The XDA-1 would do both for you quite well considering your requirements.

If you're not yet a member at the Emotiva forum I suggest that you join. XDA-1s routinely show up there used at $175 to $200.

Since there's no "hard" information about what the next generation of the XDA-1 is going to be there's not a lot of good reason to wait around for it. Will it be better? There's no doubt of that based on Emotiva's history. Will it cost more? Who knows.

• Moderators

Based on what you've stated the XDA-1 would be a VERY good fit for you.

Let's face it. All anyone wants from a preamp is input switching and volume control. Preferably by remote control in both cases. The XDA-1 would do both for you quite well considering your requirements.

I think so, and a big requirement is the price.

If you're not yet a member at the Emotiva forum I suggest that you join. XDA-1s routinely show up there used at $175 to $200.

I think I will, that would be great to find one at those prices.

Since there's no "hard" information about what the next generation of the XDA-1 is going to be there's not a lot of good reason to wait around for it. Will it be better? There's no doubt of that based on Emotiva's history. Will it cost more? Who knows.

Exactly,

Thank You for helping I really can't afford to make mistake's buying any of this. [Y]