Pomp & Pipes 2-channel hits deep

HornEd

A few months ago, there was a thread on CD's that would exercise the deep diving capabilities of a sub. Off the recommendations of Forum members, I ordered Pomp & Pipes which goes below 20Hz and promised to review it.

Well, V-stores charged my credit card... but, somehow, there records said they sent it but no a month or so later, I got them to take the charge of my credit card by calling their corporate offices in Arizona. They apologized and said they would send one free... and they did.

This CD is one of the best I have heard for music written for pipe organ and wind bands... include brass and percussion to boot. Since there are far fewer really good pipe organs and too few really good organists... you don't hear this kind of music very often. This one features the Dallas Wind Symphony and the awesome Fisk Op. 100 pipe organ. My review, with apologies to cluless, is on the General forum as "Pomp & Pipes in the house".

I know some of you guys in Two-Channel don't slum the rest of the Forums... and since this CD is particularly suited for two-channel systems (plus sub to max it out), I thought you might like to know.

Sure would like to hear from someone who has tried Pomp & Pipes on in a really good tube based environment.

Enjoy! -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-24-2002 at 04:51 PM

I have that Bach too... and it definitely puts my SVS Ultras through their paces! IMHO, Pomp & Pipes pushes them even further... in fact, I turned down the bass a bit due to the amount of floor shaking response I was getting!

This CD is remarkable also in the range of the music that is not so fugue oriented as the Bach offering INHO. The winds, brass and percussion have leading roles that balance nicely with the majestic power of the Lay Family Organ.

Do check it out. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-26-2002 at 07:52 AM

Can't wait to check it out. No sub, but I think the Khorns are up to it.

I've heard the Lay organ from its dedication through several seasons. As an organ freak, I've finally come to the conclusion it is not as spectacular as the reviews would indicate, at least in my opinion. Not sure whether it is the depth of the housing or what, but it never seems to achieve true "in your face" power.

Don't get me wrong...its like a second-rate Michaelangelo.

Looking forward to the CD.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: 21rst Century

And what did I tell you HornEd? See now that is why I was raving so much about Pomp & Pipes.All tracks are of very high quality(both recording and performance) and a few contain true sub bass not many CD's will ever touch.Its real sub bass,not fake BS 30Hz and up bass,but true 16Hz and below sub human sub bass.

Smile.gif

My Aerial really works like a sicko with Pomp & Pipes,the big Velo eats a bit of dust but holds strong.The only Sunfire to do justice is the Signature,does it work,oh damn.

To hear Pomp & Pipes in its full glory with a real subwoofer(s) is some experience.

Enjoy your CD

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey, this CD shakes my booty to the bottom... but I'll defer the technical aspects of that shaking to wine-country friend mdeneen and that Canadian Bassophile with Brass, TheEar(s)!

And, yes, Mallet,searching around Europe and North America has provided me with first-hand experience with better pipe organs and pipe organ environments than reflected in "Pomp & Pipes"... but this CD remains an outstanding recording of music composed for the a pipe organ AND wind symphony genre.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-26-2002 at 08:42 AM

As a DFW citizen, I am very proud of the Meyerson and the Lay organ...but still objective, I hope.

There are great performances, great instruments, and great recordings. Even two out of three is pretty rare.

As I said, I am looking forward to this CD with great anticipation. Knowing you listen with skepticism as well makes me look forward to it even more.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Mdeneen

You are correct that a 32' pipe will not produce a 16 HZ sound all by itself.

Most Infrasonic sound produced by pipe organs are harmonics produced by multiple pipes being played at once. For example two pipes will have a different harmonic result if they are 22' a part than say 26' or 28' a part.

This is one of many reasons why no two pipe organs ever sound exactly the same.

Also a good organist can control the harmonics rolling effect by delaying the chords initiation for a fraction of a second after the chords lead pipe. The results can be extremely dramatic if done properly.

JM

However, a 64' pipe will produce sub-20hz material in abundance. The famous John Wanamaker organ of Philadelphia is such a beast, and stood alone in this regard for many years.

Dan Garland will be building an organ with 64' pipes in Wichita Falls, TX. There are not many with such pipes.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Sorry that I didn't see your request earlier, GaryA, but here is the info you asked about.

I ordered "Pomp & Pipes" at SearchCD.net (which is fulfilled by Vstore out of Arizona). Their prices are low ($15.18) but with shipping and CA state tax, the bill was nearly $20. They charged my credit card but somehow the order slipped through the cracks. I had to call the corporate HQ for Vstore... and they refunded my money... and sent me "Pomp & Pipes" free of charge... so maybe they deserve another chance. Here's their link: http://www.vstore.com/cgi-bin/ pagegen/vstoremusic/searchcd/page.html?mode=itempage&file=/page/itempagev4/itempage.spl&prodID=1677366&catID=23379

I found another "lower volume" vendor in Florida that specializes in band music. Their link is: http://www.westcoastmusicservice.com/default.htm

You will find "Pomp & Pipes" by clicking on Main Band Category... Dallas Wind Symphony... scroll down to "Pomp & Pipes" DWS-708 and it is priced at $15.95/CD.

Most music stores in this (S.F.) area would order it on request. Enjoy! -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-05-2002 at 11:43 AM

I just received mine through amazon.com today, and

OH MY GOD.

I had to leave leave the kitchen to stand in the living\listening room to make sure I was hearing notes that low.

The music itself, while not quite being my cup of tea (I prefer chamber music in the classical genre), does tend to grow on you.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 surrounds

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

A big-*** HDTV

I have "POMP & PIPES" (Reference Recordings RR-58) in a double LP since May 1995 and I agree it is one of a few.

In fact I was using it a lot when I was playing and modifying my arm since this is really quite a test for an arm/cartridge combination (as it is for tracking, Tchaikovsky's "1812 overture" with the Cincinnati Orchestra conducted by Kunzel, recorded in Music Hall-Cincinnati September 6-8 1978 by Telarc, I can tell you it has nothing to do with the CD version which lacks in dynamics etc...).

Another record I would suggest (unfortunately I do not have it in vinyl) is the Wilson Audiophile WCD-806/8419 CD "Discovery & Christmas Music", James Welch organist (especially track 11 if I recall) where it goes down deep... really down!!!.

And a third, which to me is the best, as far as recording goes as well, is "CANTATE DOMINO" (Proprius PROP 7762). THIS I have it in vinyl and I am looking desperately for another copy since I use it A LOT!!!

All these recordings above, are used frequently in our Club's meetings and reviews.

Last but not least, as far as "low frequencies in relation to room dimensions" are concerned, I have written a paper in the Club's web-site and I give you the direct link ( http://aca.gr/paper23.htm ). Please read this, it will take you some time but it is worth it (to my humble opinion...)

Regards

Christos Skaloumbakas

President of the

Audiophile Club of Athens

web address: http://aca.gr/

e-mail: http://aca.gr/email.htm

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm

This message has been edited by skaloumbakas on 06-06-2002 at 10:37 AM

That Cantata is just about the best anything I ever heard but you are right Christos - between us we need to find a new copy.

As for the Pomp and Pipes I trust that you will bring it with you to the ACA meet at my house whenever that happens...really want to test out my Rel Strata 3 sub on some serious bass - if only to rattle the rafters a little.

8-)

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

I have been trying to find a cd of Inva Mulla Tchako's music. If anyone finds something tha twould be great. I found her on a Placo Dominia Voice Contest... (haha, that is a total mispell, but I am just going by a memory, a Sounds Like type of memory haha. But She has an amazing voice, you may have heard her from the 5th Element song Diva Dance.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>