RF-83 + RC-62 Amping Question

tmassey

Oh for sure. I bought a mini-fridge for my living room in my last house and had to move it just because when the to it kicked on, it got pretty annoying. And it only ever seemed to happen when things were quiet. It's getting to the point where I find it annoying during movies when the furnace or AC kick on as well. Anyway, here is what I got so far. (RF-83s L and R. RC-62 Center) Also shown is the VF-35s I had previously which are currently not hooked up and being put to shame. At first I really liked the black veneer, but the cherry has really grown on me, I hope I can find the RC-64 in cherry as well. It also goes nicely with Samsung's 'Red Touch of Color' on the TV. Please ignore the bright yellow walls, they are yellow, but not THAT yellow :)

It's getting a little off topic, but talking about external noises like the hum from the amps, or hopefully the lack thereof, has anyone had much experience with QuietRock drywall or equivalent, and if so, is it cost-effective? Maybe this deserves it's own thread if it doesn't have one already.

Posted Image

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The XPA-5 came in today and I got it all hooked up. I almost had a disaster as when I was carrying the box, the handles built into the box and ripped, but thanks to some quick reaction time and a good back, I was able to recover. The thing is a lot heavier than it looks.

Anyway, I am impressed! First song I listened to was 'Time' by Pink Floyd. I am not eve sure how to explain it, the soundstage is so much more defined, the lows are deeper , mids are nice and crisp. The volume is now just the volume. All the details come through regardless of how quiet it is, I had no idea it was possible to run the volume this low and still have the entire room full of sound, if that makes sense. These speakers really came alive. Now I just have to wait for the family to leave so I can crank it a little and maybe watch a movie.

So wanted to thank all of you for all your input, it has been extremely informative and helpful.

Thats awesome man!! I have been listening to things quiter at night and just love how much more dynamic range there is at low volume. Now the only, well not only but next thing to do is find you and rc-64 in black!! You should post a new pic so we an see that bad boy in your setup!!

Posted Image

Beechnut, I think you will have an even better experience. Right now, I can't even imagine what it would sound like having an RC-64 and a few surrounds as well. I haven't really had the chance to put it through the paces because I just got it a few hours ago, but so far, the price per performance is incredible on the XPA-5. My one worry was space between the top of it and the glass above it on my entertainment center is only maybe half an inch so there isn't a lot of airflow, but so far, it seems to be running very cool.

I still have no idea what I am going to do with the VF-35s. Maybe put them on surround duty until I can sell them. With any luck, selling those as well as the RC-62 should get me pretty close to an RC-64 without losing too much pocket money. As of right now, the RC-64 on audiogon has 20 hours to go. With any luck, the price will drop for me and ill be able to pick it up for cheap.

You should def throw those on the back, you aren't even getting half your movie experience! it will sound just fine, till you get some back speakers. what are you trying to get for your rc-62? i have a buddy that just bought the rf-82's i used to have. he has an rc-52 right now, and i have read that the rc-62 is good step up. let me know if you can. pic looks good. i am ready to see an xpa-5 in my stand!! can't seem to find a used one anywhere right now. so i am trying to be patient.

congrats! A true power amp is a big step above any receiver. You are going to be very surpirsed at how much your walls will shake when you get it cranking. That amp is big and it gets hot so make sure you give it as much airflow as possible. I try to keep atleast 2 inches above my amps. Heat is an amps worst enemy!

My one worry was space between the top of it and the glass above it on my entertainment center is only maybe half an inch so there isn't a lot of airflow

Only a half an inch, these little guys work great. I have two of them and they also have a speed control setting. It pulls hot air from the open vents on top and expells it through the sides or front and back.

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

buyextras_2201_27352331

By the way, very nice setup. Be patient in finding a good deal on an RC-64. I used an RC-62 for a year and a half before I found a super deal on a new in box RC-64. The RC-62 sounded fantastic up until that point, which means until I heard something better.

Bill

Congrats on the new amp! Your Pioneer avr should have more than enough power for surrounds/surroundback/front height or front wide duty. So you might as well use it until your are ready for a new avr or purchase of a two channel amp. I am thinking that it will provide no less than 95watts/ even with all channels driven. This way you can get your center channel.[:)]

Yeah hopefully. 95 isnt ideal but should still be absolutely fine for now. I did find an rc-64 another user on this forum is selling that i could pick up locally. I would really like to get an umc-1 but that would force me to get another 2 channel amp if i wanted to go for a 7.1 setup. Along with the actual cost of the speakers, im looking at probably 1500 for something that there isnt a lot of content for. So for now my priority is the rc64 and then probaby a pair of rs62s and a better bluray player. Right now ive got probably the lowest end possible. What do you guys think of Dolby ProLogic ii z i think its called. I dont see many setups accounting for 9 channels.

Just met up with sanjiyan69 and got a new toy.

Posted Image

I haven't seen Return of the King in a while so I decided to watch it to test it out. It, as expected, is a huge improvement over the RC-62 I had previously. It really anchors down the soundstage and it has no problems keeping up with the RF-83s. The only problem is it is almost too much of an improvement, and the center now comes through a little too much and I lost my MCACC mic that came with my receiver. I suppose it might even be the movie, it just seems that the Dialog in the Return of the King comes through just a tad loud compared to all the music and sound effects. I have made so many changes as of late though, this really comes as no surprise that this did happen.

If anyone knows of a place where I can get a new mic or which mics will work even, please let me know. I've looked in the usual places, but am having no luck. I hate asking anyone at Best Buy. I think most of the time, they try to seem more knowledgeable than they really are to make a sale. No offense if anyone is reading this that works at Best Buy, I have just had a few bad experiences. The model number of the receiver is VSX-1018-AH

WOOOOHOOOOOO! man i was hoping when i had seen you pm'ed sanji that you were going to get this center channel. i wish i could amp mine just to hear the difference!! i would think you could call pioneer and get a new mic for your avr. anyways let us know after you get one and hopefully hear the difference. might be able to buy a radio shack spl meter and tune from there for levels. and then just adjust cutoffs manually. shouldn't be hard. good luck. setups looking good!!

No, the cords on top of the VF-35 is a cord I use to connect my headset to my xbox 360 remote so I can talk on xbox live. Let me look around a little bit more after work today for the mic and I'll get back to you on that. There are a few more places that I think it could be. That is the correct one as far as I can tell. It looks exactly like the one I lost. Thanks a ton for the offer!

Hey Scrappydue, did you ever find the RS-62s you were looking for? If not and you still have the RS-42s, how do you like them paired with the rest of your setup? I have been looking everywhere for a pair of 62s and they seem hard to come by, so I might have to go with the 52s or 42s depending on what kind of deals come up. Wanted to get your input as we have very similar setups before I go in on something.

I put a few ads up on craigslist for the pair of VF-35s I have, 4 VS-14s, and an RC-62 so that should get me the 42s or 52s and close to the 62s if they sell. I could probably put an ad up in the Garage Sale section, but not sure if it's worth the shipping and handling. Most around here aren't too interested in the Best Buy Icon stuff. I usually try to sell for around half the retail, but no bites yet.