HELP! new surrounds are not recognized by my Denon AVR 3311

GoFastr

I have been running a 3.1 configuration with my Denon AVR 3311CI. I have Klipsch RF-7 fronts and a RC-64II center with a BIC PL200 sub.

I just got the wires run in my ceiling to connect my new Klipsch KS7502-THX surround speakers.

When I go into the AVR menu to try and re-run the Audyssey I do not hear any tones for them. The front left, front right, front center and subwoofer all have the test tones like normal but none for the newly connected surrounds.

I also went into the AVR menu and tried the manual setup of the speaker configuration and I could not get any test tones for the surrounds either. The fronts, center and sub were all ok.

I made sure the wiring was good by touching a 9v battery to the banana plugs that I plug into the back of the AVR surround ports. I heard the little popping noice for the correct left and right side speaker.

Is there anything else that I might be missing or any other setup options that I may need to do on the AVR to get my surrounds working?

Maybe I should try to plug them into the surround back ports instead to determine if the surround ports may be bad on my AVR?

Yeah, it's possible when you ran Audysee the first time that it recognized there were no surrounds and just turned them off completely. However it seems when you run it again, it should recheck. When it is checking the surrounds, is it skipping them completely or does it seem like its trying to play something and waiting for a response?

On the manual speaker config screen I changed them from None to Small and they highlight in orange on the screen when selected.

So I would think that the AVR knows they should be there.

In automatic mode when running Audyssey they appear on the screen but no sound is heard when it tries to do the test tone for them.

post-51846-13819693033076_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I wonder if for 5.1 the Denon wants you to use the rears instead of surrounds connection, just wondering ?

It has to be in there in one of the settings, i would doubt it's broken just a setting, I hope.

I'm positive that they are not connected to the Surround Back ports on the AVR. (unles the AVR is labeled wrong) [:(]

In fact none of the other surround speaker settings even appear on the screen until after I changed the Surrounds from None to Small.

After I did that the Surround Back and Front Wide and Front Height actually displayed.

It looks like you have to at least have 5.1 before you can go to 7.1 ,9.1 or even 11.1.

It's too much of a coincidence for both of your two surround channels to not be working and everything else is just fine, but that got me thinking. Whatever you are trying to play may not be taking advantage of your surrounds. On my Pioneer, there is a sound preset called 'Extended Stereo' that pushes sound through all channels regardless of the type of source.

If you are trying to play a CD, try to change your presets to use something like 'Concert Hall' or anything that would push out sound to the surrounds. If you are playing a DVD or Blu-Ray, before the movie starts, go into settings and make sure you choose Dolby 5.1 or anything that would use surrounds. Hopefully this is your problem is it's a very easy fix!

Good luck and I hope this helped.

Thanks, I've tried Dolby 5.1 and Multi-Channel Stereo and no luck.

I was hoping to just have it make sound in the setup mode first so I could verify and adjust the levels but I've also listened for it on my HD cable channels too and I don't hear anything yet.

I had a similar problem with my Pioneer one day after moving the equipment. After I hooked up everything, the front speakers connected to my external amp did not work. The amp was connected via the front pre-outs. Reset the avr back to it's defalt state and it worked. I had to re-run MCACC again which is a little pain in the rear.