Manifest Destiny is NOT an evil idea...

Mallette

If you don't mind a non-American (me) commenting, I think the problem is that low taxes became a "sacred cow" over the last thirty years or so, to the point where America got deeply in debt by not raising taxes to cover the inevitably rising costs of running the country.

You are welcome to join the fracas, as long as you don't mind me dumping poo on that argument. It's almost as specious as "if it's such a good idea why hasn't it been done" thing. [:D]

Apollo peaked at 4.3 percent of the national budget and that is barely of significance. I am not much at quick math, so feel free to correct this, but I'm thinking we'd need to get to 160 billion or so per year just to equal that.

For that, we could not only return to the moon but build a Hilton Tranquillity and invite a few freinds on a NERVA powered cruise ship to get there. You will be most welcome!

Dave

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So money is not the problem? It looks to me sometimes as if space research is seen by some (politicians included) as a frill program, to be chopped back whenever things get tight, instead of a core program that has a history of providing advances that benefit nearly everyone.

So money is not the problem? It looks to me sometimes as if space research is seen by some (politicians included) as a frill program, to be chopped back whenever things get tight, instead of a core program that has a history of providing advances that benefit nearly everyone.

Fully agree on both points. Hate'em...they're killing us physically and economically. Trillions to bail out badly run industries and crooked banks, but pennys for that which would enrich and improve the lives of all Americans...and other humans, too.

Dave

Well, I am watching these numbnuts, addle-brained, billionaire space cadets announce their plans to realize those things I've talked about:

1. A future for humanity.

2. A green planet, free of mining and heavy industry.

3. Wealth for all (with a big helping for themselves)

etc.

For me, the most important event since 1969 for all of us. This time, it won't be canceled.

The REAL space age was born today and began at 1230 CDT.

Dave

It's not surprising that an assertive billionaire spending his own money can get things done more quickly and decisively than a government committee.

Here's a quote that may relate: "Reasonable men adapt to their surroundings. Unreasonable men make their surroundings adapt to them. Therefore, for progress we must rely on unreasonable men."