Preplanning new HT

McMiRA

This is my first post and the reason I joined. I already have a pretty large collection of klipsch products but now it's time to take the next step.

Planning on building a dedicated theatre room when we build the new house floor plans are being tossed around and this is the only room that matters to me. Well this and the garage. She can have the rest of the house. The plan is to go to a larger cinema screen, better projector, marantz separates, and then the missing factor.... The speakers.

I'm weighing my options.

#1. reference (4)rf7 -front rear, (1)rs 64-center,(4)Rs 62 -sides and front effects, (2) sw-115 -subs

#2. Thx ultra 2 (3)Kl 650 thx LCR, (2) kl 525 thx lcr rears, (4) kl525 thx surrounds- side and front effects, (2) Kw 120 Thx sub

#3. Heritage (4) khorns-front and rear, (3) la scal- center sides (2) Front effects (possibly forte) (2) subs (possibly la Scalia lower units)

I'm still in the planning process and won't break ground til next year but i want to get the plan straight first. The room will be shaped, sized , and treated to match whatever will go in it. Am considering building this over a garage unless it would be better to be on slab or off grade with a room above At this point the idea is all heritage, there are so many great deals available on used stuff that needs love and I'm willing to rebuild but Ithe budget will allow the first 2 if there would be any advantages.

Any advice would be great, pros, cons, thoughts, anything. This will be the first time for me to design a system from the speakers out and I want to do it right.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

Planning on building a dedicated theatre room when we build the new house floor plans are being tossed around and this is the only room that matters to me.

Funny, I told my wife the same thing when we were looking at building our home. [:D]

IMO, you can't go wrong with any of those three options. They each would make incredible HT systems.

My next house will have a dedicated theatre room as well (hopefully). I'm not quite a pro like a lot of these guys, but I love my reference setup. If I had the money and the room, I'd probably go for the THX stuff as I've heard good things about that line.

Welcome!

Those are three good by different ways to go for a Klipsch HT. For the Heritage version, consider:

- KHorns as rear and La Scala as side surriunds are way overkill. Heresy will do here and use up less space. I am tempted to replace my Heresy rear with something from the KPT line (either past or current) to space a bit more space. The same goes for the Forte as effects speaker.

- For a sub, you will need something that goes deeper than a La Scala bass bin. Consider a horn-loaded sub to match the rest, or a tapped-horn. Some people use a Danley DTS-10 (or two) but you can also go DIY using, for example, a Cinema F20 or Tuba HT (look those up on the web).

I own a Ref theater and have heard a Heritage theater with khorns. For me I'd love to go all heritage with subs like psg suggested, but compromises always abound. If it was available to me, I'd do it in an instance. Probably 3 Jubscalas up front. I love my Lascallas! Wife doesn't but she likes the ref look. So, there I am.

Well let me ask this question. I Currently have my 3d room running a 5.1 Km setup(same as KG). Km-c center, Km-6 fronts, Km-6 Rears and an rw-12d sub( soon to be 2) . Would there be that much of a difference going to a reference series or is the jump not that impressive for the money spent? Should the next logical step be skip the refs and go either THX or Heritage?

Dude the ref system isn't bad, avg, or just ok. It's outstanding! Don't mistake that.

I am not disappointed or left wanting. Only dreaming... If you go reference, spend the left over cash (from a would-be heritage purchase) on two outstanding subwoofers! That extra dynamic that an outstanding sub can bring at or below 20hz can only be felt.

KM-6 are KG5.5 made for the military.

"The two-way km series km-6 tower loudspeaker was first introduced in 1994 and manufactured until 1997 specifically for U.S. Armed forces worldwide distribution. The km line was the last line Klipsch made specifically for our U.S. Armed Forces stationed overseas."-Klipsch.com