La Scala Problem, Advice?

fakesports

So I picked up a pair of '78 La Scalas yesterday and noticed that one speaker sounds more muffled and quiet compared to the other which is rich and musical. The woofer is especially bad, sounds loose and messy compared to the tight bass in the other. Any advice on how to troubleshoot? Could this just be an old crossover? Thanks

Well, the crossovers are definitely due for a rework, but they should still be in working order. Start by tightening the screws on the barrier strip of the crossover on the problem speaker. Check your wiring and make sure all of your drivers are working. Report back.

Okay. Anything I should know about doing this? After the screws are off and I remove the base to inspect the woofer, is there a glue or sealant or anything involved in closing it back up? Sorry, am a relative novice working on speakers.

It means resistance on a multi-meter if you dont have access to one go ahead and take bottom off see what you can see. May have to take woofer out to see in front of it. Be carefull taking woofer out un- hook wires lay face down makes it easier to extract. Rick

Well sounds like woofer is just loose to me. If you can get a multimetter and test OHMs thats resitance of the voice coil. Lay speaker face down to remove woofer if you have to, makes it easeir .The bottom will be hard to get off do to age.

The foam tape gasket on the loading door will have turned to goo and will make it necessary to pry the door loose.

I thought I would never get them off the $100 cabs I got last summer.

Bruce