Yield Open-Baffle project.

Guest David H

Really nice work! Some who haven't heard of OB designs aren't quite sure what to make of them, but they seem to be becoming increasingly popular. Some of Hawthorne Audio's stuff looks very interesting, and Lowther America has been going more and more in that direction. This sounds crazy, I know, but i had the idea of mounting my Lowther full range drivers on a...ahem...toilet seat cover, with that mounted on top of La Scalas crossed over at around 500 cycles or so. Obviously I need more surface area for the full range driver, but that was a starting point a bunch of years ago -- about 2002. Wow.

Anyway, I imagine what you have come up with is pretty nice sounding. Serious listening, I hope, is more about quality than quantity ( subjective, of course). i'd love to hear them. Is the top driver from Audi Nirvana? Maybe you mentioned that detail but I didn't see it. I recently upgraded my Lowthers to the alnico PM5A drivers. Gosh, they are amazing....very well suited to open baffles.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Thanks Erik.

Here is a Pic of the Yield Demo Speakers. I am sending these to several local members for in-home demo's.

New to this pair is the Audio Nirvana Super 10 cast frame driver.

Dave

post-24405-13819736495814_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819767166746_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819794138816_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest David H

looks like the holes are getting bigger....are these 3 driver non ported version?

No, this is just a shot of the backs.

Here are the fronts.

post-24405-13819799879536_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well the Yields have arrived and unexpectedly I had time to fool with them today. I purchased a pair from Justin Weber complete with crossovers. I have drooled over these since this thread began. I had heard from the builder of my Jubilee clone cabs that full range drivers were the bomb. He thought so much so he abandoned a pair of Jub clone's in mid project and swore he would never finish them. Then this thread showed up.

I didn't think I would own a pair this soon but when Justin offered to sell I jumped on it. Got them crated and shipped to Nashville and today I discovered I will not be disappointed. Bass galore, imaging, sparkle and that Audio Nirvana midrange. Looking forward to positioning and active crossover tweaking.

post-45802-0-70860000-1393461005_thumb.j

Guest David H

Nice, I was hoping you would like them ok.

The Yields are my daily drivers.

I just recently got mine back from the finisher at Amps and Sound. They did a great job on them.

I will try and remember to post pics.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Back doing some after dinner listening and I am struck with the thought of how cohesive many instruments sound. So many of the harmonics seem to all emanate from the AN driver.

Dave did you notice the side distance from the photo? I really don't have anywhere to stash the jub cabs so the placement was the best I could do. I tried them closer together but settled on a distance that seemed to give me a better image.

Do you remember what the impedance of the AN driver and of the 2 15s?

It took me 3 songs to write this, I am mesmerized.

Guest David H
Dave did you notice the side distance from the photo? I really don't have anywhere to stash the jub cabs so the placement was the best I could do. I tried them closer together but settled on a distance that seemed to give me a better image. Do you remember what the impedance of the AN driver and of the 2 15s?

I did notice, but I suspected you would have to place them where sounds best and a where space permits.

The Nirvana is 8 ohm, the paralleled Alpha 15's are 4 ohm.

Dave

Guest David H

Hold the phone.

How did I miss this thread?

Going to AK fest?

Excuse my dumba$$ but could you tell me the drivers and tell a little more of the XO's? 2nd order, 4th order?

My in at AK Fest flew the coup, too bad I was looking forward to it.

The Full range driver is an Audio Nirvana Super 10, the woofers are Eminence Alpha 15A's

The crossover on the Full ranger is a 1st order, the bass section is 3rd order.

Dave

Hold the phone.

How did I miss this thread?

Going to AK fest?

Excuse my dumba$$ but could you tell me the drivers and tell a little more of the XO's? 2nd order, 4th order?

My in at AK Fest flew the coup, too bad I was looking forward to it.

The Full range driver is an Audio Nirvana Super 10, the woofers are Eminence Alpha 15A's

The crossover on the Full ranger is a 1st order, the bass section is 3rd order.

Dave

Dave has asked me to make a change to the crossovers that he made for Justin and try them again. I will do that, but for now I am using the active crossover controls in Pure Music to make some observations. First the bass section will apparently go higher than 200 hz therefore the 3rd order filter makes sense to this amateur. The Audio Nirvana sounds almost the same with a 1st order as it does with a 4th order filter. I need to find out where it naturally rolls off. I listened to the AN straight for several songs and was impressed. But when you add the two 15s the low end is very detailed even where the harmonics extend to the AN. Tonight I listened to Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I knew that album was recorded with a wide array of instruments, everything from kettle drums to bassoons. Never before had I so easily picked put the sounds of these classical instruments that Brian used to create the tapestry which was laid down before the band returned from the road to add the vocals. These speakers are amazing and I haven't optimized their placement yet.