Muted receivers? Low Volume issue? I'm Bat Sh** Crazy?

Tremors

This is going to sound like a weird question. For years I owned several different Sony receivers and all of them would achieve a really loud sound at about 50% volume as judged by the volume knob. For the last few years Ive owned Onkyo, the first I don't remember and then the TX-NR609 and now the TX-NR3008. Both of the last receivers don't even start to get loud until around 70 and achieve THX Reference at 82. Ive taken the 3008 up to 92 with no noticeable distortion. But, it seems as if there is a built in mute that prevents these from getting to these ripping volumes sooner. I kinda appreciate the fact that it takes turning the volume to 92 before it gets crazy as it can prevent over doing it. Most of the time though Im just puzzled as to why I now have to essentially max it out to make the system scream. And of course from new listeners I always get the "You shouldn't have to go to 90 for it to be this loud". So, in conclusion I have two questions. 1) Is it dangerous to any part of the system to be running at 80-90% for hours at a time (we throw parties where the system will be cranking for hours and hours at high volume)? 2) What can be done if anything to get back to the 50-60% output with the same LOUD sound level? The system Im referring to is the Media Room reference system thats first in my signature. Ive got plenty of power but my system seems muted ;(

Did your older Sony's have an analog dial that actually gad a min and max stopping point? If so I can tell you that I have owned a few older Sonys and a few old technics stereo receivers when I first got into audio and those older analog models are waaaaay different in a volume sense. I think they were just more sensitive. I bet if you cranked them to 75-80% speakers would just start destroying themselves. I have the onkyo 805 and it's a beast! I keep my volume on relative in stead of absolute, and mine doesn't start getting loud till about -10db or so. Which I think if you switch to absolute is around the 75 area. So you have nothing to worry about.

I don't have this problem with my 3008. TV listening is usually -20 to -30 db on the dial. You can change the menu to read in db. Movies is around -16.

Some of the EQ settings will achieve a muting effect. Say listening to Stereo vs Direct. Also, hope youve run Audyssey. It will set the levels at your primary listening position.

I think scrappy may have nailed it. The previous Sonys did have an analog dial with a defined start and stop point. Come to think of it those receivers would become distorted as I got close to the 70% mark. I have run a calibration mic as my receiver is equipped with Mult Eq XT-32 and the levels seemed appropriate with only a slight 1-2 Db gain being needed on the rear channels. Thanks for the input. I guess I was just more accustomed to the analog dial than I had known.

Beechnut, you're right in that I have noticed muted levels when using some of the Dolby and thx effect settings. I use direct 90% of the time for music listening and so I'm using this for reference purposes here. Some of the older sonys mentioned were 15+ years old and I think scrappy maybe right when mentioning higher sensitivity in today's receivers. Particularly with respect to the volume knob and how it functions.

Yes it does. Mines turned off.

I used direct for awhile, now I'm back to stereo for most of my listening.

Now this might seem counter-intuitive...but turn it on... see what a difference it makes. I was experiencing much of what you have been, and while messin' around with the settings I turned on the Dolby Volume to "low" and I got a dramatic leap in volume. Darned if I understand it, maybe someone else can explain.

I have a lot of Onkyo and Integra gear, and can give you a couple suggestions. First, try different listening modes. Some of the fancier modes like THX Music, and PLII Music sound great at low levels, but don't really do well when you are cranking it up. Believe it or not, I use Full Mono most of the time in my big system when listening to music, because I can be anywhere in the room and get the same experience. When you are working or entertaining, and moving around, stereo and all the multitude of music listening modes actually make the sound worse unless you just happen to be sitting in the sweet spot.

For general pumping up the volume in the Source Setup, disable Aydyssey, turn off dynamic EQ, no dynamic Volume, and MOST IMPORTANTLY raise the Intellivolume up higher.

If you do these things, you will rattle the windows.

These new digital volume controls are definitely different from the old analogue ones. The old ones would go from 0 to Max in about 3/4 of a turn, while the digital volume on my Yamaha AVR has no stops, but takes over 3 turns from Mute to Max.

As well, Max varies, depending on the relative levels of the main and surround speakers. In some cases Max will be +17dB, in other cases +7dB, or something in between. Mute is always just under -80dB.

With the old receivers, it was best to never go past the 3 o'clock position, and some conservative types recommended never setting the volume past 1 o'clock, but the salesman who sold me my current AVR said to turn it as high as I liked because the protection circuits would prevent any damage.

With my current setup, the limiting factor is how much my ears can handle. Distortion and amplifier strain is never apparent. I'm sure most Heritage and KPT or Jubilee owners would say the same thing.