Virtually FREE Tweak 101: CD Mat

Well John, you obviously dont want it to get off center. The key to the use of this mat is also in your capability to trim it perfectly and to also set it in the dead center. On the Planet, it is pretty easy to do. When the clamp comes down, it locks it onto the CD. IF you are careless and set it off center, it makes a noise on my player. I cut my disk just ever so slightly smaller than the circumference of the CD.

Regardless, give it a go...or not. No big deal.

Also, John is right; the CD starts from the inside out.

kh

Here is an interesting link that goes into more detail on the Sony protected cd's, if anyone is interested.

http://news.dmusic.com/article/4833

Traditional cds, indeed, begin at the innermost portion of the cd itself, but this is brand-spanking new technology...I won't even start a discussion on the RIAA and "normal-use" policies cwm23.gif

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

One more aside here...Computer hard drives will read DATA first, then anything else that happens to be hanging around. I would imagine that Sony will eventually hide the data track so that there can be no scribbling without compromising the entire disk.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Here you go -- we were just discussing the deal with the marker the other day at the Asylum.

Here is the article as posted.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/75153.html

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 05-30-2002 at 11:24 PM

Good to see you back on the forum mobile, we all missed your descriptions and great images.

btw, speaking of missed spirits, whatever happened to that fini guy, he was funny , I miss his jokes.

-Clipped 'n Shorn

{a bit behind schedule on the mystery p/p triode dynakit mod..... so you didn't miss anything.....}

(on my iMac "bit behind" lights up in red for some reason....)

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Mobile.....talking about the Staedtler marker, the 357 number just designates the broadness of the marker. The same marker comes in a few different thicknesses. I'm assumming you've had the best luck with the broadest(357) marker. I don't want to make this quick, easy tweak difficult by leaving doodle marks or having to go over the edges three times to make it perfect. Do you have a steady hand? Also, are there any national chains that carry this? Thanks

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

This message has been edited by rowooo on 06-02-2002 at 07:18 AM

Yes, the 357 is the "extra Broad" tip. I have seen it at various art stores. You can also get them online as well. One such link is here:

http://www.artistsupplies.com/Stationery/Markers/Markers_AudioVisual/Markers_AV_Perm.htm

As for chains carrying them, I have not seen them anywhere but that doesnt mean that someone doesnt have them.

cd_marker.jpg

Regarding the application, it is actually fairly easy and only take 30 seconds or less. The easiest method is to put down a piece of paper folded over. Get your CD and put it up on end resting on the paper with your index finger in the center hole and your thumb on the edge. Take the Green Marker and put it with light pressure so the CD edge rests on the center of the tip (pen straight up over CD). Then start to rotate the CD with the bottom on the paper using your index as the balance and your thumb as the device that rotates the CD. Do the outside first. I usually do two rotations - you'll see it covering. I let it dry for a second than hit the inside, resting it on edge again and putting the marker in straight down and rotating the CD evenly.

IT sounds harder than it is. A small groove quickly wears in the marker which you continue to use. Dont press down TOO HARD as the groove will go too deep causing you to mark on the actual surface of the CD.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Mobile.....thanks for the great instructions. I will let ya know how it works out. Thanks again...

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Gee, I was joking about the Felt Pen tweek!

Though I have done it with Black markers.

Never could come across a Permanent Green marker.

I didn't look that hard either.

I try it on old beat-up CD's to see if it improves anything.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It's hard to tell to me, I guess.

Let's see, there are mats, pens, irridescent stickers

that place in specific areas, using furniture polish for the silcone content, painting the surface black, and using blue LED's to bathe the inside of the unit with blue light.

(The latter is kind of non-related to direct CD treatments, but I thought I would bring it up, some folks seem to believe in it.)

You ever tried the 'Auric Illuminator' Mobile?

I was going to try the 5' Floppy idea years ago, but never could understand how to keep thing thing centered when you are loading it in a tray type CD player.

I can see this being easy to keep it centered when it is a top load unit with a clamp such as a Rega.

But I never went as far as pulling the cover off the unit to make sure the Floppy is centered, I just pretty much forgot about it.

I'll have to try it if I come across a Floppy.

The best thing is a well recorded CD, if there is such a thing, Ha!

Those Staedler pens can be found at Michael's hobby shops...back in the art department or there abouts...be sure to get the ones with the BLACK CAPS...those are permanent alcohol ones...the ones with the grey caps are water soluble ones!!! Most Army base PX's have them too...they are the first choice for grunts with laminated maps!!!...LOL!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I was just going through some old stuff yesterday (moving in a couple of weeks) and found about 5-6 5 1/4" floppies. I have no use for them. Anyone interested in them?

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655