CNET pn HDMI Cables

WMcD

I actually posted this article in another thread. Good idea to make a new thread about it because unfortunately people still fall into the best buy monster cable trap. I would feel like I was selling my soul if I had to sling those things on unassuming customers every day.

I actually posted this article in another thread. Good idea to make a new thread about it because unfortunately people still fall into the best buy monster cable trap. I would feel like I was selling my soul if I had to sling those things on unassuming customers every day.

Some people deliberately CHOOSE high dollar cables because of some notion called "perceived value". If it costs more it just has to be better.

Case in point... A few months ago my BIL bought a new 42" LCD TV for his family room. He needed a 6' HDMI cable to hook it to his DirecTV receiver. He called me and asked if I had a spare. I dug through my big box-o-cables and I had a 6' Monoprice. Called him back and told him I had one. "How much" he asks and I tell him 7 bucks. His reply was "I think I'll just go to Best Buy" and pick one up".

Huh? What? OK... It's your money if you choose to waste it. He just could not believe that a $7 HDMI cable could work as well as the one he dropped $40 (or more) on.

In the sage words of Ron White "you can't fix stupid"