Curmudgeon Alert. PWK Tapes Reissue Sans Tape

thebes

As most of us know by now, the latest Klipsch advert campaign centers around PWK, which is a good thing. However, it seems nostalgia only applies to what Klipsch Corp. deems "modern". Tape heads and vinyl lovers need not apply.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/163264/1741403.aspx#1741403

I'm sure the Facebook Klipsch fanboys Klipsch currently caters to, are too young to realize the difference between tape and a lossless download.

OK, Marty, let's get really serious. What you really want is a good ol Webcor wire recorder. Download the 24/192, playback through the DAC of your choice that has tube output stage, and place the gorgeous art deco Webcor mike in front of your speakers and record.

You'll get a REAL analog experience you will long remember. ANALOG FOREVER! Well, at least until it wears out...

Dave

Or an Edison cylinder...... hehehe

I'm glad they will be available format be dammed. I do my own mix reels but that is a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche.... Although it would be cool if the do a 50 tape limited release.

IF they simply digitized at 24/192 the results will be 1/1 with the original for all of us but a very few. I would appreciate knowing if they did a separate digitizing of the non-even lower res, like 16/44.1, as I have found through experience there can be an audible loss of fidelity from less than perfect algorithms dithering when downsampling to resolutions not evenly divisible. For that reason, used 24/172 for high res location work before going to DSD to ensure I could downsample evenly to CD res.

In any event, the 24/192 is going to be and EVENT. I first heard Klipschorns in the presence of PWK and his big Ampex studio console with those tapes and can't wait to hear it again.

Dave

All these replies are far too rational and nuanced to qualify as curmudgeonly.

Cheez grow some ear hairs, start talking about your sciatica. Grumble a little more. In other words it's time to start acting your age.

All these replies are far too rational and nuanced to qualify as curmudgeonly.

Joseph Cambell talked about "...not getting lost in the metaphor..."

I think that applies to recording formats as well: don't get lost in the metaphor. The music is the thing that we're trying to resurrect, not the format... [8-)]

Chris

Pah and a pox on the house of Campbell. He probably greets the dawn with a smile instead of a groan and a scowl like a proper old coot.

While I get what you are driving at, I'm sorry to say that often the format dictates, reveals, explains, determines, begats, illuminates the quality of the music.

I suppose we could shed those gloomy big boxes we own, take a tuning fork to these bottles of glass we're enamored of, hire a itinerant fiddler and a one legged a organ grinder complete with monkey and call it music. Especially if it's rendered through a transistor pocket radio, circa, 1958.

Mumble, grumble.