Question about Emotiva UPA-5

joshjp

If I am reading the spec sheet . HERE correctly, you would not be able to take advantage of an amp because it only has 0.1 preouts (only preout is for sub). I am a little confused now though, because it does say its a 7.2 receiver but only one preout for a sub. If it did have preouts, I think you would hear improvement, but not a whole lot.

if you were able to utilize the UPA-5 i would say it owuld definitly be an upgrade. I dont have time to check right now but if that receiver you have has class D amps in it then the improvement may not be noticable. If its a regular class AB though the emotiva would be a good upgrade. I am rocking 125 x 7 from outlaw and it cranks my 7's without hesitation. Receivers lack in the power umpf department of performing at high volumes.

That seems pretty odd the official spec sheets on pioneer's website are wrong. Sorry for the confusion, I'll have to start actually looking at pictures for now on. For 50$ more, I am thinking you would be much happier with the UPA-5.

I think the benefit of owning the upa-5 would be if you ever got rid of your pioneer and went straight processor you could run all your speakers. But I think you should hold off for the xpa-3 that you really want in case you ever upgrade the front three.

The XPA-5 is on sale right now, so it isn't a whole lot more than the XPA-3. According to my calculator, it's about 110$ more. I would say that is well worth the extra 2 channels if he does decide to go that route. If he can get the UPA-5 for 400$ though, that would be a great deal, and he could always upgrade to an xpa-2 for his fronts if he felt the need as well.

The XPA-5 is on sale, so at the moment, it is only about 120$ more than the XPA-3. The UPA-5 at 400$ is a pretty darn good deal, and if he really wanted, he could get an XPA-2 down the road for his fronts.

Now you guys have me wondering if I will hear a difference getting a XPA-2 for my RF-83s.

thanks for all of the comments so far, do you guys think the processor is better on the umc-1, then my Poineer VSX-1121?.

In a nutshell....YES

I just replaced my Pioneer vsx9130 with the UMC-1 and it is far better in processing both audio and video.

Josh, I do not think you will get a night and day dfference with the Emotiva. It depends on if you will eventually move to all separtes. I personally like the avr/amp combo. You get more power and having the avr as a pre-amp works very well. Separate pre-amps last about as long as an avr before you want new features. I am vey happy with the pre-amp in my Pioneer.

I am vey happy with the pre-amp in my Pioneer.

I'd be happy too with a Pioneer Elite SC 35 pre amp. the 1121vsx is not in the same class and my 9130 is in the middle of the 2. The flexability and increased soundstage of the UMC-1 over my 9130vsx (rebadged sc-01 or 03 cant remember off top of head) made me a happy camper running it off an old Carver a705 amp. JMO