Some Folks

Deang

1) Mobile Homeless: First this guy shows up and starts on everybody with this tube crap. Cheap tube amps, expensive tube amps, tube amps that don't work, tube amps that should work, and of course -- tube rectalfiers. We all buy tube amps, and then he vanishes. Gone. Invisible. Leaving us alone with these damn devices. Over the last two months I have spent $1400 on NOS, and have enough tubes for 3 complete retube jobs for my amp and preamp. I am broke, and I am completely happy. Thanks Mobile and welcome back (about damn time too)! BTW - I am NEVER, EVER, buying another turntable. However, could you recommend an affordable one?

2) Mdeneen: This guy shows up like Batman. Not your casual poster. Not until half the board is in panic mode does he show up to sort out the messes we've gotten ourselves into. I bought a special dictionary so I can understand some of his posts. I finally learned that Mdeneen stands for Mostly Diodes Ending Near Each Electrical Node. Every couple of days I take my AE-25 out of 'standby' and have to listen to that damn POP. Every couple of days I think to myself, "I should just send this thing to Mdeneen." I for one would like to hear more from you. Thanks Mdeneen.

3)MaxG: What the hell is up with this guy. Posts fabulous reviews of SACD. I think to myself. Well, Max is credible, it must really be good. So I spend a month reading everything I can about SACD. I even go to the dreaded Asylum risking the abuse of Inmates to ask questions. I finally decide to bite the bullet. I sell my $1700 Anthem CD-1 and go buy a freaking Sony DVS9000ES (yes, a Sony of all things), and come back here to find out Max has sold his SACD player and is now using a dinky record player!! I would like to say "see #1" -- but I can't. No, this pollution is the work of the evil entity -- SKALOUMBAKAS. However, I love the 9000ES. What a great machine. Thanks Max! (BTW - you shouldn't have sold your deck. Most SACD releases are reissues and sound mediocre at best. The new releases sound fabulous.)

HDBRbuilder: FNG with an attitude. This guy is destined to win the Klipsch Story Teller Contest. His stories are great. I spend a lot of time trying to come up with an angle for my story. I'm hoping I can pull a monkey out of my butt. Since I have no real Klipsch stories -- I may have to make one up. I have a problem though. My imagination can't conjure up anything better than "Engineer Jim and the Famous Fencepost Incident." Welcome to the forum HDBR!

Forresthump&TheEar(s): Forresthump only shows up when TheEar(s) shows up. I have been watching carefully, and I'm convinced they are in fact the same person.

Colin: He has been watching tubes glowing for so long he has transformed into a Getter, extinguishing all gases, and a creating vacuum wherever he goes. He has become a recluse, and doesn't post as often as he used to. His insight is uncanny, and he always seems to use verbiage which perfectly describes any given situation. We need more of Colin!

Boa12: Boa does not understand two-channel. He just can't figure out how it can even work. In order for a piece of audio to be deemed worthy -- it must have more integrated circuits, switches, and programming options than the space shuttle. Boa explains things to newbies the way engineers explain complex concepts to children. If I ever buy a HT receiver, I will also have to buy Boa a plane ticket to come out and set it up for me. Any piece of gear with more than two switches or buttons is beyond my ability to operate. This largely explains why I am still into two-channel. I enjoy telling people the reason I like two-channel is because it sounds better. There. I have told the truth. Thanks for taking care of the HT board Boa!

Newbies: The board is suddenly populated with all these new people. Where in the hell did they come from? Most of them are quite knowledgeable. Should we expect anything less from new additions to the Klipsch family.

I could go on forever.

I was just feeling grateful for this forum and thought I would post a 'thank you' to all the forum members -- especially to those who have helped make my system the best I have ever had.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 05-30-2002 at 09:58 PM

choice thread dean! Biggrin.gif thanks for the feedback. maybe i need to spend more time in my 2-channel listening lounge. at least i put the 2-channel forum back on my favs.

but you nailed me right on. after years of just my corns & the big ole ken 9600 stereo receiver, i went digital when the ken finally blew a capicitor (though it was repaired). but when a kid, i was the one who went ballistic at things like the Museum of Science & Industry in Chi & such. there were never enough buttons & switches for me to play with. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Well said, Dean. It's interesting that I read every post of all the names you mentioned. Every one of them. I also read all of Ray Garrison's, HornEd's and Doug Drake's posts as well. I'm sure there are a few others (can't help wanting to know what Jim Cornell is gonna say next :-) but these are the main culprits. Thanks again for the fun read...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

As a newbie, I must add a big THANKSs> to all you folks for being so kind and quick to share your wealth of knowledge. There are so many people in this world that are snub nosed if you're not waving a fist full of dollars, or over 30. You won't find that here, you guys have been very kind and accepting. That's the way things should be, all in the good spirit of music lovers everywhere.

Of all the boards I visit, this is my favorite. It may not be the most active, but definitely the most enjoyable. There is a terrific group of folks here. Some funny, some rash, some hard headed, some learning, and some legends with their immense knowledge of the tried and true. The discussions that go on around here are very often terrific, open minded, and thought provoking. Everything a good forum should represent.

Since I got my first Klipsch, littler over a few months ago, I've bought and built a tube amp, moved my living room around at least 10 times, changed speaker wires at least 5 times, played vinyl more than CDs, bought more vinyl than CDs, and read more speaker and audio circuit design books than my brain can stand without exploding.

This place has the passion, comradery, and excitement that make you want to spend hours staring into that black abyss of those confounded horns. It's nice having a group of people to discuss the minute things that 99% of the population could care less about. I don't know about you guys, but almost everyone I know "In the real world" thinks I'm nuts. The looks on the faces of people when I tell them I have a tube amp, and listen to vinyl is just priceless. LOL, it's as if I was from outer space. It's nice to meet people who share the same passion (err, addiction?) for high end audio. For that I am truly honored to spend my time amongst the likes of you guys.

Barista T. Bill

---------------

Vintage Sony PS-T3 TT w/ Shure M97xE (Rega P2 & Grado Gold in wishbook)

Sony 333ES For PreAmp (Building custom PreAmp W/ +-.2db RAII Phono Stage)

Sound Valves VTA-70i w/ Electo Harmonix EL-34 Tubes

Klipch RF-5

This message has been edited by Barista on 05-31-2002 at 10:10 AM

FNG with an attitude here...LOL! Guess what I write doesn't show that I am laughing my arse off most of the time while I write it!!...even when "crossing swords"...LOL! Touche! Smile.gif

Like I have stated before, I have my preferences, as we all do...I kinda like a big hulking cabinet that takes just one watt and rattles the windows in a house...what can I say? Smile.gif

I have to admit the old enlisted paratrooper side of me tends to take over at times, but...just to set the record straight....paratroopers don't take kindly to being "FNG's"....the correct term for an old paratrooper new to someplace is a "Cherry"....LOL! FNG is a term for "legs"!!!...just ask any old paratrooper!! LOL!

I guess I have made my "cherry blast" on this forum by now, though...LOL!

Dean...sorry bout you not being able to come up with something better than "Engineer Jim and the Famous Fencepost Incident"...but...truth is...true stories like that one always seem to be the funniest...at least to me.

I am pretty sure Jim doesn't see it as funny with the arthritis he probably has to deal with on a daily basis from that incident, but that's the price we all pay for doing things we shouldn't when we were younger...there are a few motocross spills I feel now-a-days on a regular basis...not to mention knee problems from all those parachute landings on the tarmac at Vicenza Army Airfield in Italy...but I wouldn't give up those experiences, both the good and the bad, for all the world!!

Just like I wouldn't give up the experiences I have had on this forum so far...some really good folks here...both the younger crowd who are full of questions, and the "old hornies" like me who have watched the world go from "flea-powered tube" amps to solid state amps that strived to produce signals comparable to a tube amp, to solid state amps that just tried to produce enough power to light New York City(not caring whether the signals produced were clean or not because most speakers weren't efficient and accurate enough to show up the amps' dirty signals), and finally back to tubes...for those who have efficient enough speakers to run with them!! And all through this, the speakers listened to were good ole hulking cabinets that could rattle the windows with just a watt or two being pumped into them...my kinda listening!!

Here I sit, listening to the same stuff that I bought when tubes and bell-bottom jeans were popular the FIRST TIME AROUND!!! LOL! What goes around, comes around, doesn't it?

I think I will go to the library and dig out some dusty old books or maybe run some copies out of microfilmed Popular Electronics mags with tube amp and preamp designs in them soon...and build some...since I can't afford to mortgage my house to pay for new ones!! Geez!! Ain't it strange how ten years ago a pawn shop would almost give away an old quality tube set-up that had been gathering dust for a decade in the back room on a shelf...and now that same rig is going for a grand or more on eBay? Makes ya wonder, don't it?

I sure wish I was as valuable now to someone as I was deemed 25 years ago!!! Smile.gif

Us old farts who "remember when" just "don't get no respect"...except...maybe...on a forum like this! Smile.gif

I guess now it is time for me to start tellin stories about how I carried my kid brother on my shoulders while I walked ten miles barefoot cross-country through the snow to get to school...traditions need to be carried on, dontcha think? Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-31-2002 at 12:21 PM

quote:

....No, this pollution is the work of the evil entity -- SKALOUMBAKAS....

Dean,

After your remark, I feel like "Osama Bin Laden" !!!

system02_tops.jpg

(click for system's details...)s>

... no hard feelings though ....

This forum is great. I also read every post of all the names you mentioned (and some others too...)

Christos Skaloumbakas

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm

This message has been edited by skaloumbakas on 06-01-2002 at 07:49 AM

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

better post a pic of the stereo rack (it's flanked by rf-3 in front corners of the "lounge"). note vac-o-rec near top.
Wink.gif

boa,

I have a vac-o-rec as well. I've had it about 25 years now. Smile.gif BTW, nice sticks. You get out much?

Mike

mike, yea about that long here too. though i think it's motor is starting to go. Frown.gif

thanks. no don't get out as much as i should anymore. but just got new ram fx2 oversized irons to replace those ping zing copies showing. sent those to my bro in seattle. hope to get out soon!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-31-2002 at 02:41 PM

Christos -- I was completely making a joke! As a matter of fact I visit your quite often, as the reference systems are simply gorgeous to look at. I actually would have stayed with vinyl if I had not sold every single record I used to own. It would simply be impossible to replace them now. I have neither the time, nor the resources to start over.

Boa -- all you need now is 8-track!

builder -- A vet. I repent in dust in ashes. You deserve the highest respect. I mean that.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

md, thanks. that's where i keep them anyway in my space-deprived villa. Smile.gifFrown.gif

dean, yea LOL. though actually 8-track was before my time. went straight to cassetee when i got old enough (& also ruled out the teac reel-to-reel Wink.gif). in fact the 1st real sound sys of my own was a montgomery ward cassette recorder. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

deang,

i wish i wrote that. there are some really good people on this bb. the first thing i do when i power my pc up is come to this site. i learn something everyday.

i am so glad the wayward audiohead's are back.

i just bought a house the end of april. tomorrow morning an electrician shows up to redo my breaker box.

i have been running wire all day for dedicated plugs for my 2 channel and ht. i should have been sleeping. i am hoping to get off work by 2am. i am just so pumped about finally getting both systems up. it's been over 18 month's since i've seen or heard my ht.

i will have so many questions in the next couple weeks.

hope everyone has a great weekend.

danny

Dean,

I was joiking too...

Mike,

Thanks for your invitation and your encouragement.

You see, making or updating HTML files for the Club's web-site leaves me very little free time to catch-up with you and you guys write a lot! (as we Greeks talk a lot...)

The most I can do is read you and learn, but I will try to make some 'contributing efforts' in the future.

I use to say that this is a 'family type FORUM' and I really enjoy it... THANKS.

Christos Skaloumbakas

President of the

Audiophile Club of Athens

web address: http://aca.gr/

e-mail: http://aca.gr/email.htm

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm