Which Klipsch Reference Towers to get?!?

APPLEBITE

Well, I finally decided it's time to upgrade my front speakers which are Nuance with an 8" mid and a Silk Dome tweeter.

I have Klipsch Reference everywhere else, a RC-3 II for the center and RB-3's for the rears.

I was in the dealer today and got prices on the RF-3 II's, RF-5's, and the RF-7's. I was only able to listen to the RF-7's and RF-5's as they had no RF-3's in stock. Obviously the RF-7 sound incredible, and the RF-5 wasn't far behind, and they both sounded WAY better than what I was expecting, my god they are lovely.

Any ways, I am good friends with the owner of the shop so I'll be getting what I think to be a smoking deal, but it makes the decision between the 3 WAY harder.

Here are the price breakdown, in Canadian funds:

RF-3 II = (Retail $1400) my cost $680

RF-5 = (Retail $2500) my cost $1440

RF-7 = (Retail $3800) my cost $2088

So, as you can see these are some dam good prices. My original plan was to go for the RF-3's, but I would like to get the Cherry Veneer and the RF-3's don't offer that. The price of the RF-7's is almost 2 grand off retail so I am seriously considering these now, and god would I love them.

My questions are these:

1. What one is the best deal for the money.

2. What one would integrate with my RC-3 and RB-3's the best.

3. Would I really be better off spending 2 grand on the monster RF-7's??

Help me make my decision guys, I want a pair BADLY!

Thanks for any help guys

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player

personally, I would consider either the RF-3II or the RF-7. the RF-5 is a good speaker, however it has too much in common with the RF-3 and its sound is too similar imo to warrant the extra cash.

the RF-3 would match up better with your existing center and rear channels, so that may be a good point for it, and I believe the price/performance ratio is best with the RF-3. the 7 is a damn great speaker though.

BTW, you ARE getting AMAZING deals. Take it from a salesperson at a Klipsch authorized dealer.

If ya got the cash, I would upgrade my whole system with 7 series. worth it at these prices, and you won't need to upgrade again any time soon!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Rf-7's. There is NO question about it. Sell that RC-3 and pick up the RC-7 as well.

------------------

Home Theater

KSP 400's

KSP C6

KSP S6's

Yamaha RXV995 (Current)

Bryston 9BST (On the horizon)

Bryston SP1.7 (A little further on the horizon)

Music Room

Heresy's

KG4's

KSW200

Ella PP EL-34 (Coming soon)

I vote with the majority milords!

If you are that taken with the 7's and buy the lesser models you will feel vaguely dissatisfied with your choice day 2 or 3 from the Get-Go. Somewhere down the road,(probably sooner than later), you will be buying them anyway and the deal you're being offered may not be available to you.

In other words it will cost you less if you buy the 7's now.

If your dealer has any KLF 30's left over you should give them a listen too. I have heard both and while the 7's are beautiful I preferred,(and bought),the 30's.

FWIW I have seen precisely the opposite opinion expressed here as well. If the KLF's are not available for comparison the answer remains - buy the 7's.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Well, the thing I have heard about getting the RF-7's is that they will drown out the RC-3, much like how the RC-3 is drowning out my Nuances. The RF-7's are 2 grand however, and it would take me a few months to get the cash. My dad paid for the RC-3 and RB-3's so I can't sell them or trade them, but I will be taking whichever speakers I buy when I move out, so I could always get a matching center when that happens. I think I've narrowed it down to the RF-7 or the RF-3, and that's a huge difference in price, so the decision is huge and I hope whatever one I make won't kill me with regret.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Shiva/AVA250 DIY sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Save up for the Klipsch RF-7s, you'll be happier in the long run. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

RF-7's all the way. You're getting a smokin deal. I just paid $2600 Canadian for mine, and that was after shopping them to death. Upgrade the RC-3 as well, I paid $975 Canadian for my RC-7, so I'm sure your friend can get it for you in the mid $700 range.

You will be soooo happy you did.

Sean

Upgrading the RC-3 and the RB-3's won't be possible, as they are bought and paid for by my dad, so they arn't mine to sell or replace not to be used. I am thinking I may get the RF-7's, and once I move out, start my new system around those, and that would be a serious start to a KICK *** system.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Shiva/AVA250 DIY sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Hey guys, I noticed on Klipsch's product pages that the RB-3, RF-3, RF-5 all use different 8" drivers. Why are they different, and what are the differences??

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Shiva/AVA250 DIY sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Those three speakers all use the same 1 inch titanium compression driver. What is different is the size of the horn they are coupled to.

Now listen very carefully. I will say it in a whisper.

R F 7f>s>c>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-02-2002 at 05:53 PM

I was just told ON HTF that the difference between the 8" drivers used in the RB-5, RF-3, and RF-5 is the crossover poit, but why the different serial number for the drivers?

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Shiva/AVA250 DIY sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts