Forte stands w) spikes or not?

ChipByrd

I am definitely becoming a Forte fanboy.  But one thing I have noticed is that they sound best when I am at a lower listening position.  Anyway, I am thinking about putting them up on stands.  From what i am hearing, I am thinking 6-8".  I found a couple discussions on Forte stands over at AK, but I was wondering if some of you have done that?  For some reason, it feels odd to put such a big speaker on stands...

For something as girthy as the fortes, you don't want to kid around with flimsy stands. Check out Sound Anchors. They aren't cheap. (You could have something fabricated locally of similar design for less than they charge...apologies to Sound Anchor, but that's the truth.)

I haven't checked recently, but you may want to look at musician oriented retailers like Guitar Center for capable but not audiophool priced stands geared toward larger monitors.

I listed one of my SE84 amps, and noticed a Craig/NOSvalves refurbished Dynaco ST-70 in the classifieds section. Any decisions on the tube front? There are some decent, affordable options out there right now.

• Moderators

What about an angled additional riser instead of a stand, figure how much angle you want to have them aiming where you want.

OR unscrew your original risers and build some new ones, either angled or just the height you want ? You could keep the originals to convert them back anytime you wanted.

The factory risers just unscrew, new taller or angled risers would be much more sturdy than a stand and instead of trying to match the finish just paint them black ?

Just an idea.

What about an angled additional riser instead of a stand, figure how much angle you want to have them aiming where you want.

[Y]

Rationale is found here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/162138/1736308.aspx#1736308

Chris

am definitely becoming a Forte fanboy.

Once you hear them, how can you not?

But one thing I have noticed is that they sound best when I am at a lower listening position. Anyway, I am thinking about putting them up on stands.

Just do what I did with them and my Quartets, get a runner rug and place a 1 inch x 4 inch x 2 ft piece of lumber under it and set the front of the risers on top so the speakers are angled upwards. Huge improvement IMO. Or just build or have built slant risers like on the Heresy II's.

Bill

Remove the factory riser from your Forte and place them on solid four post stands.To determine the correct height measure the distance fron the floor to your ear when seated.Make the height of the stands so thet the centre line of the mid horn is at your seated ear height. You will be blown away by what you hear. Best regards Moray James.

Depending on your room dimensions, you may want to be careful about raising the woofer and passive to a height that is an even division of your ceiling height or wall spacing. For instance, you might get some real standing wave peaks if you raise the woofers up to 2' and your ceiling is 8'. An inexpensive way to experiment is to use various concrete building blocks and/or pavers to raise the speakers to various heights. Actually sounds pretty good, too. I'm currently enjoying using some modded Heresys on 6" x 8" x 16" cinder blocks painted brown, with 1/8" cork mat (from the hardware store) at floor/block and block/speaker interfaces. I stuffed the sideways pointing holes in the blocks with foam (didn't like the idea of having 4 tubes of the same dimensions right under the speakers). Also, I tried 1/2" footers under the front edges of the speakers, which seemed like an improvement. My Fortes sound better in my room (8' ceiling) with only the 1/2" feet in the front (Herbies teflon footers). Or yeah, just try some wood sticks under the front. The 1" half rounds work quite well. If you like 'em you can glue the flat side onto the speaker riser and have the round side on the floor.

If you raise the Fortes much, you may also loose some bass, unless you can move them back closer to the corner.

What advantage/disadvantage would there be to adding some spikes to the bottom of the base?

Unless your floor is suspended (pier & beam wood floors), the sonic effect is nil.

Chris

If you have a carpeted floor then spikes will insure that the stands leave no marks. If you have a hard floor then use threaded glides with nylon pads. had my Quartet's up on 16 inch tall stands. I do suggest that you try yous up enought to get the mid horns at ear level. It costs you nothing but your time to try. Best regards Moray James.