Please define "slam"

Kain

I hear a lot of people saying that the Klipsch KLF-30s have a lot of "slam". But isn't the subwoofer meant to give you this "slam"? What exactly do you mean when you say "slam"?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

"SLAM!" is the sound made by a door as your wife leaves the room after you've informed her that you're about to buy a new piece of audio equipment.

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 06-01-2002 at 09:08 AM

"SLAM" is what some people use to denote the force with which you hear and feel a sound, KAiN64. A kick drum, for example, comes across as a sharp sound on some speakers, but the KLF-30's move so much air that you can feel the SPL's in your chest... that's "SLAM". Consequently, the KLF-30 with its dual 12" woofers became a favorite speaker of the Rock and Roll crowd. -HornED

HornEd, but isn't the subwoofer meant to make that "THUMP" of a kick drum?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

HornED said:

Consequently, the KLF-30 with its dual 12" woofers became a favorite speaker of the Rock and Roll crowd. -HornED

Those RF-7s (with the dual 10" woofers) along with my REL Storm III sub seem to do quite good with Rock music! I know, I listen to some pretty hard-core stuff myself and this setup more than delivered cwm32.gif!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

kain, the 30s will handle the 2nd octave (40-80hz) slam along w/ a great sub like the svs ultra or velo hgs-18.

the sub in my book handles the 1st octave (20-40hz) pretty much by itself. but the sub & speaks like the klf-30 or rf-7 can work together for the ultimate combo of bass quantity & quality in the 2nd octave range.

that's why i keep harping on the value of a flexible processor or receiver that let's one drop the crossover

down from 80hz to something closer to the speakers true capabilities, like 50 or 40hz. allows for much better

quality bass while retaining the same output levels, at least here it does.

cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

I totally agree. I have a massive DYI 15" sub that is tight and deep but music sounds much better when I listen to my Cornwalls then my Heresys with the sub. I'm not talking about mids and highs. The Cornies make lots of bass that intergrate better with my sub. Perhaps if I had a variable crossover for the sub things would be different. Unfortunately, my crossover is static at 80hz. Too bad because I would love the ability for variable crossover settings.

trader, right on forgot to mention the cornwalls in the sys also benefit the sound greatly when cut down at 50hz w/ the same global crossover.

since they're in the rear corners due to space, they bring up the rear for some real even room bass response. similar to having a rear sub or 2. i think it's a good idea to have bigger speaks &/or sub(s) in the rear for HT also (for 5-7 channel stereo music it's a given). mixers these days are puttin a lot of lower bass in the rear channels.

the downside to the global adjustable crossover is that

the centers are also there at 50hz. could overdrive my

C7 going lower than their capability, but i've found the c7 go much lower than they're speced & seems most mixes these days are shying away from a lot of real low bass in the center channel. still wish i had the room for bigger center & rear center speaks.

the adjustable cross is a nice tweak feature. hopefully my lobby influences more makers to include it in the future. Smile.gif denon's doing it now, though i don't understand why they only put sub-80hz selections on the 4802 & higher. just trying to keep the big speaks in ht revolution going. we need to be heard. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

KAiN64, "SLAM" applies to any kind of speaker that delivers a feeling of being hit or "slammed" in the chest... so if your sub(s) can deliver the "SLAM" fine and dandy!

skonopa the KLF-30's earned their reputation long before your upscale system was born. The KLF-30 reference was purely historical. For example, when I bought six KLF-30's for my HT, the authorized Klipsch dealer marked me for a Rock 'n Roll fan... rather than an HT enthusiast.

I still like my music best on the Heritages. -HornED

" "SLAM!" is the sound made by a door as your wife leaves the room after you've informed her that you're about to buy a new piece of audio equipment. "

cwm27.gif

Now this is a grand slam

To me speakers with slam are speakers that can really make you grasp for air when at high volumes you can feel the drums.And its not sub bass,sub bass is not slamm.

Often reviewers say sub A or B has slam,this is the sub capability of extending from 40-80Hz.Slam is in the 40-100Hz region.

Below 40Hz there is no such thing as slam,if I hear someone talk about 20Hz slam I slowly turn around and walk away.They are misguided and lost to the point of no return.

For example the KLF30 and RF-7's have BIG NASTY slam,you will feel your internal organs being assaulted. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I agree that "slam" is a visceral effect.

Symphonic Star Trek, Telarc, has some orchestral "slam" in the recording.

The K-Horns do a good job on reproducting it. And some direct radiator bass units do a good job too, according to reports above.

My guess is that reproduction requires good bass response through out the bass spectrum. And further, that a well damped bass system is necessary.

On the last point, you hear poorly damped bass boxes which have a boomy sound which accentuates one note. I doubt they will do the job.

Gil

HornEd is right. I replaced my La Scalas with RF-7's, and with music the 7's don't even compare (sigh), but they are more accurate with HT. Luckily, I didn't sell my LAS, I' going to incorporate them into my new HT room. Heritage ROCKS.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

NOZ

that seems totally backwards to me

I would think the Scalas would be awesome for HT and the RF7's better for music

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

It may sound strange, but the La scalas are throatier, you know that deep down grunt. I'm going to hook them up again and compare them,(I hate dragging 123lbs around), but better to do it now, than to screw around with it after I hardwire the HT.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

Once again, TheEar(s), I agree with you on the sub 40Hz being below the "SLAM" range and into the "grind you into jelly omnipresence." But many folks do have their crossovers set to where their subwoofers are extending up into the "SLAM" range. -HornED

ed, having the global adjustable down crossovers in the processor really makes me want the klf-hec for center(s). just wish i had more room Frown.gif

oh well, before i move b&k will probably come out w/ an upgrade that allows high pass settings for each speaker

or each speaker group at least. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

HornEd,

In fact,you are correct as most users subs are cut at 80Hz and a bit above.So they will have sub slam. Wink.gif

A great slammin subwoofer is the RSW series,oh do these pack a punch.They dont compete with Sunfire,Velodyne,SVS,HSU or Revel for ultra low bass but the RSW's sure can punch like the best of them.

This is why I will add the RSW15 to my RSW10! Smile.gif Its good to be the bass king.

HornEd did you hear PMC speakers? I did this week and good lord these are accurate and AWESOME.Some of the best sound at ANY price!! I am now considering saving for a few good months and buying the large PMC MB12 monitors! I am in musical heaven,I need I need these speakers. Not cheap,12000/pair! cwm6.gif

WIth the large PMC MB12's the subwoofer is an option,almost true full range sound.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-04-2002 at 06:54 PM