so i finally heard my "dream" theater.

Scrappydue

so i am on vacation here in oregon and drove by a little dump called good vibrations. figure i would check it out since it said home theater on the window. walk in see lots of klipsch in-walls. eh, talk to the owner for a bit and then discover the back room! walk in to see the thx ultra setup. MAN WAS I EXCITED!! 5.1 setup running off of a pioneer elite avr. played a scene from pearl harbor. sounded amazing, and it was like deafening loud. much louder than i ever have turned my setup and i watch things pretty damn loud. anyways, i have never watched pearl harbor on my stereo so i have nothing to compare it to, but i was wondering if any of you guys have heard it compared to what i have. it was in a somewhat large room, prolly 15X19 room with 8 ft ceilings. sat about 12 feet back with the subs 5ft behind the theater seats. so my stuff is in a 11x11 bedroom and i am only about 8 feet from everything and not even close to properly setup, at least it seems that way as i dont think my avr can adjust levels with the amps hooked up. think i might need to get some attenuators or something like that. but who knows just kind of rolling with it right now as i plan on a theater when i move home and buy me a house. anyways yeah, wondering if you think what i have would even compare in the theater department to those.

• Moderators

Looking at your list of speakers and equipment, I would guess the bigger room and a few adjustment's is some of it.

There is a difference in speakers also but your set up should do really well.

I don't see why your AVR can't adjust the levels, that has got to be done or it will never sound right. Even a simple volume leveling with a DB meter at the listening position has got to be done or you do not have a chance of it sounding good.

EDIT......After looking up the Onkyo 805, it has room correction, is it not working or did it have a problem with the amps connected ? Something does not sound right, the Onkyo should adjust everything with the amps connected, I would think. Unless the room is to small ?

• Moderators

Sorry [:$] after looking at your list again..........Those XPA's, 805, and speakers with dual SVS should peel the paint off an 11 x 11 room ! [:o] Just the dual SVS in a room that size should make the pressure change in that room. [:|]

Onkyo TX-SR 805
Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-5
RF-63 (cherry) Fronts
RC-64 (cherry) Center
RS-62 (black) Rear
RB-61 (black) Surround Rears
DUAL SVS PB13 Ultras (real american cherry)

Dtel, I just think with the power of the emo and the sensitivity of the klipsch and the small space my receiver just turns everything all the way down. Like it can't compensate for anymore. Subs sound great as I can adjust the gain on them but not anything else can be adjusted. I read somewhere about some attenuators for the RCA lines or maybe on something else to get the levels back down to a realistic level where they can be compensated for.

• Moderators

You may be right, maby try it without the extra amps just to see ? In that room you really need very few WPC, it may be to much for that size room for it to adjust properly ?

It says the 805 is 130 WPC, even if it's really half of that your still talking about a 11 x 11 room you probably don't use 25 real watts.........just a complete guess really, but that could be why the receiver is having a problem with the settings ? THIS IS ALL JUST A GUESS, JUST TRYING TO HELP because something is wrong. imo

I don't know about the attenuator thing, it sounds like that would cause more problems that it would fix, I would be a little afraid to try that.

Something don't sound right ? You have a real nice setup it should sound very good.

so my stuff is in a 11x11 bedroom and i am only about 8 feet from everything and not even close to properly setup, at least it seems that way as i dont think my avr can adjust levels with the amps hooked up. think i might need to get some attenuators or something like that. but who knows just kind of rolling with it right now as i plan on a theater when i move home and buy me a house. anyways yeah, wondering if you think what i have would even compare in the theater department to those.

Can't you just run the Audyssey setup and adjust the volumes manually?

My RF-63/RC-64/RS-35/RSW-10d/B15 setup has no problem filling my 16 x 31 x 12(ceilings) space with gobs of quality sound for HT and music.

Bill

Sound like the system is running hot if the avr sets them to the lowest possible number. No way to adjust the gain on the Emo. amp? Maybe just run things off the avr until you move to a larger space.You have a great setup for HT or music, The Klipsch designer of the RF 63's said that those speakers can last a lifetime, because he had the best drivers and other part to put in them. To bad there are not many on the forum with the THX Ultra. I would love to hear more on it. The one thing about the THX series, it was design to work in perfect harmony if the room is setup correctly.

I wish i was in that room with you, When i got my XPA-3, my levels before were, Right -4 Center-6 Left-5, now it Right-8 Center-10, and Left-9, even though the rears are being driven by the, AVR, they still have the same gain at -6, but they do sound a little better, i sit about the same distance as Scrappydue.

• Moderators

I wish than Emotiva, wouldnt set the gain as high in there speakers, i beleive the UPA series had a lower gain.

I think your right, I read that also. With real sensitive speakers like Heritage and Pro they were recommending the UPA over the X models because there was a good bit of hiss for a speaker with high sensitivity matched with high gain.

Yeah you are correct the upa is lower gain but also no gain on power as my 805 is actually rated at 130X7 all channels driven hence the 51 lbs of it. So the xpa was the only answer for more juice. I could run it without the amps but when I upgraaded my front three from the 82/52 all the gains when to negative 12. When I had the 82/52 they were at like -8 for mains then -4 for center. But I know the 63/64 are way more efficient. I am buying all this stuff because I am a future thinker. All this should be going in a large home theater when I move home. That is why I have dual ultras in a 11x11 bedroom. They say overkill is headroom well I say overkill in my situation is definitely overkill lol but like I said future planning while I have the money to spend. I think I am gonna find a movie I know that sounds good on mine and take it back up there to see what it sounds like. Then see how I feel. I just think that it "sounded" better because it was in a good size room and I sat in super comfy home theater seats. There was no acoustic treatment, garbage tv compared to mine, and all those speakers are so small compared to mine I just think mine should blow it out of the water. However they did have like a 20,000 runco projector but the guy didn't want to start it up for me which normally I would be irritated about but at 20K I was good.

when they closed out the rf83 series I picked my rs62s up from a dealer, they had a 5.2 thx system setup with the dual klipsch thx subs....I took a listen and was even comparing the thx rears and the rs62s....to me there wasnt much difference

I think your biggest difference will be tweaking your setup to your room, since you've invested so much already why not try a umc or another preamp as well? selling your avr and getting a umc probably wouldnt have much out of pocket

Ok so I called the dealer there and asked if they had avatar cause I know how that sounds on my system. They said no, but if I went and bought it they would reimburse me for it and keep it for a demo. Awesome! So I took it in and watched a couple scenes that I show mine off with. Noticeably more bass. But I think the subs were running a but hot for my taste. Then I watch the thx outro at the end after the credits and told him to crank it. I think the pb-13 digs a bit deeper than those thx subs. And also seemed like they started getting a clipped signal. Maybe that could be changed with an amp, maybe not. But I think for now I will stick with mine and wait till I can let it breathe in a room that it needs. And who knows if I dislike it maybe by then some new thx line will come out and I can get these for dirt cheap.

• Moderators

But I think for now I will stick with mine and wait till I can let it breathe in a room that it needs.

I think that's a smart move, your biggest problem may be the room. Another amp with less gain wouldn't change much I would think, in that size room you couldn't get the receiver working hard before it ran you out of the room.

You have a very nice setup, I wouldn't change anything except the room one day, and go from there.

I only say this because i use a receiver with well under 100 wpc, in a room 24' wide and 18' deep (open to another room even bigger, and it's plenty enough. Would it sound better with the Emotive helping, I have no doubt it would but in a small room I don't see the need. imo I need a newer receiver more than additional amps at this point.