just put my Klipschorns up for sale and looking for small speaker recommendations

I was wondering the other day how someone could move from Klipsch's and horns to something small. I've heard amazing sounding small speakers with a subwoofer, but its a very different experience.

I was looking on the local (Orange county Cal) and a guy was selling "repackaged" in a smaller different shaped box essentially a Heresy, and was thinking those with a good sub might be very interesting.

L. Tourist: you are right, Lowthers are not cheap. I have the PM5A alnico drivers in rear loaded horn cabinets, and I also have Klipschorns. They both do some different things extremely well, and not necessarily a compromise in terms of the single driver, which can be quite astonishing at times. I also recently finished building a kit from Madisound, which is a rear loaded horn very much like what I have for the Lowthers, though much, much smaller. The Madisound kit uses a great single Fostex driver, and, honestly, this kit comes within 75-80% of the Lowther system costing much more -- for some kinds of music. On different material, the scale provided by Lowthers is hard to beat, except by the Klipschorns. Madisound sells other larger kits using other full range drivers, that you can check out too. For now, I'm enclosing the following link to the kit I made, which is astoundingly good for its size and price. If you like khorns, perhaps consider a pair of Heresies (?). Some like single driver systems, others don't. Purely subjective and a personal choice. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folded-horn-kit-pair/

"I've heard amazing sounding small speakers with a subwoofer, but its a very different experience."

Yes. You lose the large expansive soundfield, but if the room is small, a smaller set of good loudspeakers can pull the disappearing act, and they can make you forget you ever liked Klipschorns. I built some monitors using Radian 8' coaxial drivers and run them with a good sub. One of my daughters, who believes that anything I've ever owned in the past was completely overrated -- claims that the sound I have now is the best thing she's ever heard in the room. It does sound very good.

I tried the single driver speakers. Sounded great with vocals and accoustic. But full range music was another story. One driver just could not do it.

Oddly enough I stumbled across a pair of these locally before they became real popular. The white driver is coaxial and handles from 400 hz and up:

post-10861-13819738357796_thumb.jpg

post-10861-13819769012598_thumb.jpg

post-10861-13819796069698_thumb.jpg

"Yes. You lose the large expansive soundfield, but if the room is small, a smaller set of good loudspeakers can pull the disappearing act, and they can make you forget you ever liked Klipschorns. I built some monitors using Radian 8' coaxial drivers and run them with a good sub. One of my daughters, who believes that anything I've ever owned in the past was completely overrated -- claims that the sound I have now is the best thing she's ever heard in the room. It does sound very good. "

- -

DeanG, can you post more about this system you have put together? while my experiences with 8" single drivers has not been totally satisfactory. I continue to think about a small speaker solution that can compete with my k-horns.

regards,

Tony

Another model you might consider is (the clue) loudspeaker from Sjöfn Hifi. It's a small 2-way design that I thought had much of the character of a single-driver design (the woofer covers a very wide frequency range). Their low frequency extension is amazing considering their size.

The catch is room placement. It's designed to go close to the wall, toed in 22.5 degrees, 20" from the floor.

(the clue)

- Bill

• Like 1

Another model you might consider is (the clue) loudspeaker from Sjöfn Hifi. It's a small 2-way design that I thought had much of the character of a single-driver design (the woofer covers a very wide frequency range). Their low frequency extension is amazing considering their size.

The catch is room placement. It's designed to go close to the wall, toed in 22.5 degrees, 20" from the floor.

(the clue)

- Bill

I looked at their website and they do not list any specs on this speaker at all. I was looking for efficiency and size.

The web site's a little clunky. If you select Products from the top, then (the clue) loudspeakers from the left-side menu, it links to a PDF of the specs:

(the clue) specifications

On a related subject --

What about some of the Klipsch "bookshelf"-sized speakers like the RB-51 / 61 / 81? How do these behave when placed relatively close to the wall? With or without a sub?

- Bill

• Like 1

The web site's a little clunky. If you select Products from the top, then (the clue) loudspeakers from the left-side menu, it links to a PDF of the specs:

(the clue) specifications

On a related subject --

What about some of the Klipsch "bookshelf"-sized speakers like the RB-51 / 61 / 81? How do these behave when placed relatively close to the wall? With or without a sub?

- Bill

OUCH !!..............These speakers are 87db........Need lots of Power!....Won't work with a low power tube amp........Someone that currently has horns is not going to want to switch to low efficiency speakers.