Has anybody shipped Chorus I's or II's before?

Mike, glad you found a MBE that was willing to work with you. I have 2 near me and neither of them were willing to custom make boxes. If you have a place near you called "The Packaging Store" you might give them a call too, they were willing to make up boxes for me to ship Forte's in.

Also, as a long shot you might look in the phone book for box manufacturers in your area. When I shipped my last pair of Forte's I found a local box company that had some real heavy duty boxes that were just the right size for the Forte's. The boxes were also very inexpensive as they were over-runs (like logo over runs), they were made to ship garden tillers.

Good luck on the boxes and the 'Scalas!

This message has been edited by edster00 on 06-03-2002 at 04:38 PM

Mike-

It was certainly a pleasure to meet Mr Paul and Miss Valerie, so the books were almost an afterthought. But it was great to have some signed copies. Will stand by for word from MBE or FedEx. Gosh, I am getting excited!

Jim-

I agree, Mike is quite a nice guy. I would love to hear Cornwalls in a HT system. I got to listen to Tony Reed's pair while I was in Hope, but we were mainly listening to his K-horns/Belles. I don't know how the Cornwalls could be better than the Chorus IIs...maybe I shouldn't listen in case I get the upgrade bug again. Smile.gif

You have quite a nice system as well, and Idaho Springs is just up the road from my parent's in Denver. I got them recently upgraded to a pair of walnut Chorus IIs for their 2-ch system and they moved their Forte IIs to the HT and moved the Fortes to surrounds. Now they are set with one of those walnut Academys from Audioreview. Can you tell, our family adores Klipsch?

Edster,

I'm not sure if he is gonna do it or not, as I haven't spoken to him yet. From what I understand, he will make custom boxes, but I don't know how large he is willing to go. Will know more tomorrow. I will keep the other places in mind however...

Mike

Mike,

My Chorus I's came in factory boxes with a cardboard-backed foam "tray" for the top & bottom like the ones mentioned, these were only about 4 inches deep and about 3/4 inch thick. The strength of the box came from 4 V-shaped extremely dense cardboard "corners" that stood inside the box. By V-shaped I mean that they were a piece only about 5 or 6 inches wide (maybe 1/8" thick), bent 90 degrees... hard to explain, but really just a reinforcement of the boxes corners (or edges, running vertically.) I tried to keep my original boxes, but after 12 years & almost as many moves they didn't make it... but I never saw the need for 2" of foam all the way around! Of coarse if you tried to reproduce what I just described someone would surely skewer the box & prove me wrong! I'm only an hour or so away from you, I'd give you my old boxes if they were still any good!

Just as a suggestion Mike you might check www.lowes.com and type 'moving supplies' in the search bar. They have a wardrobe box,complete with hanging bar,that measures 48 X 23.75 X 20.5 item # 167410 priced at $6.62 each. It might work. You'll have to do the math though! Good picture of the box at their site. The UPS man could use the bar to beat the hell out of the speaker before delivery! Good luck!

Keith

Thank you jhawk, well have basically the same systems!

Exotic and sweet!

This really is a sweet system i love it!

Well them, i have 2 set up again, i wanted to hear the Chorus on the 26 year old pioneer SX 950, i hooked it up, and it sorta stayed that way!

This one rocks, great bass and all, excellent!

This is without my 18inch sub mod, with the outlaw and the sub, i had to also put the RS-3 2s on top of the set of chorus,with a separate amp, to get more high end, theres that much bass, tooo much!

Chorus 1s rock! low, or up to 2 on the volume, 2 will blow you out of the house, thats one set of chorus, not all 4!

The outlaw on the other hand is my HT of coarse with the other set of Chorus 1s, the 18inch sub, RS-3 2s rear, academy center, KLF-C7 rear center!

Not bad!

Independence day, will lift you off your chair!

This sub mod i have here, is unreal!

Regards Jim

I spoke with the guy at MBE today and he will make the custom boxes. They evidently make it from straight continuous cardboard. This is the heavy-duty cardboard that is made for 100 lb loads. In order to fit the UPS guidelines, he will use 1" styrafoam on the sides and 2" all the way around on the front, back, top and bottom of each speaker. Unfortunately, the labor and materials (all packing materials and they do the packing) come to $37.99/ea, if anyone is interested in doing the same. Tack on another $65.08/ea for UPS Ground shipping (Orlando to Connecticut) and it comes to $206 to ship a pair of Chorus speakers half way across the country.

The good thing about it is Rob will have some pretty good boxes next time he moves, or decides to sell them. Hey Rob, you can pass along the price of the boxes to the next buyer if you decide to sell 10 years from now. Smile.gif

Mike

Yahoo. Can't wait to track them on their journey north! Hope they can stand being in a "Yankee" house, though my wife says I am a closet "redneck." I'll see if I can get a family photo when they arrive, Chorus IIs, Forte IIs, Academy, and KG 1.2s! This will be an incredible addition to the HT. Thanks Mike!!