Another one of Motown's finest is gone: RIP bassist, Bob Babbitt

picky

• Moderators

RIP

Not many of the Funk brothers left.

A very good story along with some good music on this DVD of the Funk Brothers and Motown, it was really the first time the band got any credit for their work.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008J2HC/ref=asc_df_B00008J2HC2100724?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1582-86-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B00008J2HC

post-11804-13819739259944_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819769925686_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819797032562_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OH S***

Another post I missed. Man, I just love the sound of Babbitt's bass. Quite frankly, I like him much better than Jamerson. Jamerson always seemed to be clipping the amplifier. Babbitt, wow, what a nice full, deep and lucious sound. And his playing. What great feel and groove! In fact, when I acquired the first SHM SACD sampler a while back, one of the tracks is Marvin Gaye's "Mercy, Mercy Me" with Babbitt on bass. I clearly remember my reaction. I got my better half into the listening room and said "Listen to this!"

"That's the way I used to try and make my bass sound! That's the sound. That's the way the bass is supposed to sound. That's the way it should be played!".

It's one of those things I've always strived for, but only the great ones have it.

Absolutely wonderful stuff. I will miss him.