Onkyo or denon????

Scrappydue

Do you think the 5508 will be a ladder move or better sound and video?

If you are referring to the 5508 vs your 805, both sound and video will be better. As you know, the Onkyo TX-SR805 is/was an overbuilt receiver that was priced way lower than it should have been vs the same build quality/features of the other brands. It was essentially a flagship receiver at a midlevel price.[Y]

On the other hand, the Onkyo SC5508 is "last years" flagship pre/pro with top tier video processing, DAC's, EQ(XT32), balanced connections, all modern features, and all this for less than $1500.00. How can you go wrong?

Bill

So when I first started looking at this thing it was 1549.00 plus shipping. Then it was 1449.00 with free shipping. Now it's down to 1399.00. Should I snag it up or keep waiting. Finally see the 5010 model on onkyo USA. So newer stuff coming. Think the price will keep going down? Also anyone know if hdmi passes through this thing without it being on? I hate that my 805 has to be on to watch stuff.

Now it's down to 1399.00.

A great price.

Finally see the 5010 model on onkyo USA.

Onkyo wants you to buy the $2000.00 ++++ 5010 receiver but me personally, the still current Onkyo Pro preamp/processor is the way to go at $1399.00.

Think the price will keep going down?

I doubt by much, used yes, but probably not new.

Also anyone know if hdmi passes through this thing without it being on?

Not sure about that.

Bill

Scrappy,

I UPgraded from a Sony STR 5300ES to the PR 5508. You will not be disapointed. The sound quality is superior to the Sony (which was NO boat anchor) and the Video is superb. It has MORE features than you will ever use and remember it is the same unit internally as the much more expensive (by many thousands) Integra. I can't give it a high enough reccomendation and I am very pleased. Sometimes that is a very tough task for a piece of equipment in this place....!

Please, sshhsshh . . . No one tell Scrappy that the Denon 4311 is the most incredible sounding AVR with Klipsch speakers and can still be gotten for around $1300 NIB and is versatile with AirPlay feature too . . . It,will just,confuse him more. :-). Scrappy, you are In a good bad place with several great choices. Let us know where you land.

Does the 4311 pass video through it over hdmi when in standby? I have ruled out the 5508. Can fathom getting stuck with ones that has all the failures. I would rather wait till the 5510 or look into this 4311. But wanting one that will pass video in standby

Does the 4311 pass video through it over hdmi when in standby? I have ruled out the 5508. Can fathom getting stuck with ones that has all the failures. I would rather wait till the 5510 or look into this 4311. But wanting one that will pass video in standby

Scrappy I believe it does have audio pass through so it does not have to be on and you can use the tv and the tv speakers.

You just have to call for prices, just like Klipsch speakers, places can only show MSRP online. Electronics expo and audioholics seem to have the best prices on them tho. There is also a deals thread on AVS for the 4311 that gives shopping codes at electronics expo. Let me know if you are interested and I'll track down the link. As far as I know the codes still work, but give EE a call and see what kind of price they'll give you.

I really haven't and here is why:

I really like to listen to things as they were *meant* to be heard. When it comes to heights and wides, it has to do with processing which I personally don't like to mess with for the most part. I haven't ruled it out as I actually recently thought about it again. I have an extra set of speakers that really aren't getting used in the bedroom since I just have an XBox in there (no 7.1), so trying them out in different scenarios wouldn't be a big deal other then the eyesore of the wires and the fact that they are totally different brands/sizes then the rest of the stuff I have. Either way tho, I have no regrets in buying a 9.2/11.2 capable AVR because once I get into a bigger house/room I can really try to experiment. I really can't see myself 'growing out' of this AVR within the next 5 years. When I first started looking for a new AVR, I was sold on the onkyo 818, but on AVS forum people talked me into considering the 4311 (in a not so nice manner, ha ha), and I had arguments with them about how it is 2 years old and blah blah blah. In the end, they made extremely good arguments about how nothing new is coming out this year that is worth spending the extra money on and that the 4311 has everything that you could need in an AVR for some time. I reluctantly agreed in the end, and then changed my mind to agreeing whole-heartedly. I can and will recommend this AVR for anybody looking for a new AVR. I love it's features and it's sound. My experience in the AVR world is onkyo and now denon. I can't hate on onkyo because my 706 is still running strong in my bedroom. I can't comment on other brands, but from my research and experience, the 4311 is a superb (if not top) choice in the bang for buck category. If you are thinking of buying one, do it, you will not regret your choice for 1 second. I bet my Air Force career on it ;^)