Danley DTS 10 question

Coytee

Seems I have a pair of these on their way to me.

My understanding is they have an exit port that can be swapped from one side to the other via moving a cover plate.

I also understand that a single sub in a room can excite the room and create a hot or dead spot with possible cancelling waves bouncing around.

I'm looking at putting each one behind the Jubilee's with the exit/port facing directing into the room. The port would be on the "inside" of the Jubilee's, meaning the right speaker would have the exit port on the left side.

To keep it simple, the room is rectangular, don't know the size... and symmetrical.

Being symmetrical got me thinking about the room interaction and how people sometimes move their subs to move or minimize room interactions.

Here's what I'm wondering...

Since these things approach 280/300 pounds each and I don't want to wrestle them any more than necessary... would there be any benefit to changing where I put the exit ports.

Meaning... I was originally going to have both ports on the inside of the Jubilee's, floor level. I then realized I could rotate the box, flip the port and have them inside the Jubilee's "midway" up the height of the room (or whatever the height is of the port). Both situations would have a mirrored effect and that got me wondering about room interactions. So, what if I put one at floor level and the other at the top of the box so they'd both be firing at different heights into the room? Would (could) that by definition, help minimize interactions since the point of origin would not be symmetrical? (I know I'm over thinking this right now.... I'm daydreaming and it's what I do when I'm daydreaming )

Realize that in this apartment, I'll never squeeze one of them to their limit, so two...well.... let's just stop laughing right now at how absurd it will be having two of them in this place [:P]

This place where I'm staying was built somewhere in the 70's I think. It's single story. It is basically two rows of (what probably started out as condos) units built back to back. So along my back wall is the back wall of someone elses place. (my back wall shares the common back wall with the rental office so I don't have anyone there at night)

Here's the rub... the wall I use is really at the intersection of the four units in this building. It's right at the heart of the " + " and these units are built on a crawl space. You can feel the floor vibrate as any (literally, any) of my neighbors walk across their place.

So... two Danley DTS 10's, two Jubilee's, a couple of Crown K2's....

Ya think I could make them all hate me?

[6]

The port would be on the "inside" of the Jubilee's, meaning the right speaker would have the exit port on the left side.

Is there a reason for doing this that you haven't mentioned yet?

would there be any benefit to changing where I put the exit ports.

Probably.

So, what if I put one at floor level and the other at the top of the box so they'd both be firing at different heights into the room?

Then you would get different response from each sub because they would be loaded differently. That means that they would sound different to you if played separately. Is that what you want?

So along my back wall is the back wall of someone else's place.

This is unfortunate. Have you thought about sitting on top of these subs at your listening position?

Ya think I could make them all hate me?

Most definitely and very quickly. I'd throw a block party as soon as the subs show up, and pass out free booze to your immediate neighbors...[D]

The port would be on the "inside" of the Jubilee's, meaning the right speaker would have the exit port on the left side.

Is there a reason for doing this that you haven't mentioned yet

Nope. The speaker has to be orientated somehow, I figured I'd have them behind the Jubilee's firing forward (I do think on the back wall firing forward would be better than BEHIND the Jubilee's, on the side walls given the unmeasured width of the room. I don't think I'd have room for them on the sides.

So, what if I put one at floor level and the other at the top of the box so they'd both be firing at different heights into the room?

Then you would get different response from each sub because they would be loaded differently. That means that they would sound different to you if played separately. Is that what you want

I won't be playing them seperate. What I currently envision now is, once I get my loaned Dx38 back (this could be the end of making it a loner), I figure I'll use one Dx for each channel. The Danleys would be the 2nd channel in each Dx.

Have you thought about sitting on top of these subs at your listening position

Hahahahahahaha... nope, not ......................

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wait a minute.

I was going to say, not even possible however... now you got me thinking outside the box a little bit.

Ok, so the gut reaction and functional answer is "no", I can't put them at my (typical) listening postion. (layout of room, desk chair, size of room...

But now I'm wondering if I could put them near/under the table that is in front of the Jubilee's. Not really where I want to put them as a gut feeling as they'd be dead center of room (left to right) and almost dead center front to back now that I eyeball it.

hmm...

my sense of organization says to put them behind the speakers, facing into the length of the room or, perhaps in FRONT of the Jubilee's with their back to the left/right walls, facing into the width of the room instead of facing into the length of room.

Yeah... mentally, I see it as this:

Choice 1: Behind Jubilee's, facing into length
Choice 2: In front of Jubilee's, backs to wall, facing into width
Choice 3: Out in room... something I had not contemplated. I'll be contemplating that shortly. I've got two of these things, are you suggesting stacking both of them or making an even larger platform by laying them flat side by side on the floor?

The speaker has to be orientated somehow, I figured I'd have them behind the Jubilee's firing forward (I do think on the back wall firing forward would be better than BEHIND the Jubilee's

That is precisely how I have my SPUDs oriented. The exit for the subs is formed by the back of the Jub, the side wall, and the sub itself, forming a triangular "waveguide" aimed at the ceiling. Why? I pick up another 1-2 Hz of lf response due to the added path length to exit at the top of the Jub bass bin, and more importantly, it attenuates some of the multiple impulse response peaks inherent in the TH design. It's good to not be looking directly at the mouth of the unit installed in your room.

HOWEVER, since you are trying to decouple your subs from the walls, floor and ceiling of the room, then I'd recommend putting the mouth of the sub basically in your face, and space it away from the floor slightly. This is definitely the "second best option", but one that is based on your constraint of not bothering your neighbors.

I won't be playing them separately.

My point here is that the subs won't behave the same since they will be loaded differently, and that isn't desirable from my point of view.

But now I'm wondering if I could put them near/under the table that is in front of the Jubilee's. Not really where I want to put them as a gut feeling as they'd be dead center of room (left to right) and almost dead center front to back now that I eyeball it.

My suggestion to put your subs at your listening position is to be able to decouple them from the room itself to the maximum extent possible. You don't want to spend the night in the local pokey for disturbing the peace, do you?

Chris

HOWEVER, since you are trying to decouple your subs from the walls, floor and ceiling of the room

There is no conscious thought there on my part. I simply figure behind the Jubilee's (which I thought was a good idea on your part) simply gets them out of the way. By pulling them inward a bit, firing into the length of the room, then they are not obstructed by the Jubilee's in front of the mouth.

Beyond that, you are giving me more credit than I deserve as to what I'm doing

[<:o)] <--me, not you.

[:D]

It doesn't matter where you put them. The sub bass from 12-20 hz. from TWO of those things will go through concrete walls.

I use a single LAB 12 in my "coffee table" TH sub. It's got a smaller voice coil than the TWO drivers in each of your DTS-10 cabs (you have 4 beefed up drivers total). You also have a 24 foot horn path, or thereabouts. I thinks the DTS-10 is the best sub you can get for home, period.

I agree with Chris about decoupling the sub from the room as much as possible by moving the mouths closer to you, which is what I have done in my small, attached condo apartment.

My suggestion to put your subs at your listening position is to be able to decouple them from the room itself to the maximum extent possible. You don't want to spend the night in the local pokey for disturbing the peace, do you?

Chris

I really think you will need option 3 here. You have way more power than you will ever be able to use. Those subs will scare strangers with the right movie. For music, I would cross them at 50-60 Hz. since the Jubes roll of there a bit. Get ready to discover the super low bass that's been missing from your setup, but you will be hard pressed to find music that takes full advantange of true sub bass.

Get ready to discover the super low bass that's been missing from your setup, but you will be hard pressed to find music that takes full advantange of true sub bass

For kicks & grins, I've got a dbx subharmonic synthesizer... what if I slap that into the tape monitor?

[:D]

For kicks & grins, I've got a dbx subharmonic synthesizer... what if I slap that into the tape monitor?

Now THAT sounds like a very cool toy to play with, now that you have speakers that start to come alive below 60 Hz. (the disco thump frequency).

Get ready to discover the super low bass that's
been missing from your setup, but you will be hard pressed to find music
that takes full advantange of true sub bass

+1 [Y]

what if I slap that into the tape monitor?

It could make you disorientated or possibly even nauseous. "Music" and infra-bass don't mix in my experience. Sub-bass, yes. Infra-bass, definitely not.

.... but you don't have to take my word for it. [H]

"Music" and infra-bass don't mix in my experience. Sub-bass, yes. Infra-bass, definitely not.

I don't know: I've got some pipe organ recordings that certainly blur that line...and are definitely in the realm of "religious experiences".

It's a cultural thing perhaps, but one that goes back to the Reformation to bring in the general public into the then-new show place cathedrals .

Chris

Coytee, this is AWESOME! I just got my 2nd Danley DTS-10 integrated with my Jubes as well, although I'm still fighting with room. In temporary house for couple of months until next assignment drops. Room way too small now but it's all I've got. I digress, you're gonna love this combo!

pipe organ recordings

I must say... I am very ignorant of organ music with respect to names/artists and the like.

Pipe organs have however, been something that I have always loved. I remember going to church as a tyke. One of the older churches in my hometown. Big pipe organ. I was always mesmorized by the sound and the feeeeeeeeel of it as it just rumbled everything.

I think that is something that kept me on the track of the visceral experience as I got older. Trying to capture that size & scale.

I think that is something that kept me on the track of the visceral experience as I got older. Trying to capture that size & scale.

I think you'll be able to feel it once you get the DTS-10s hooked up - right up until the police come to take you away of course. [:D]