Woofn' with Carl

Mallette

I would love to hear Carl's rig one day. If I can talk him into building me a couple of subs that wish might come true. :)

I still haven't said no yet[;)].

This weekend I plan on starting my table tuba. I have drivers and 2 sheets of 1/2" Baltic Birch but haven't made the first hint of sawdust yet. Don't think I have any projects after that except honey-do's. By the time this one is finished it should be cooler and the grass won't need as much attention as it does now so I should have more quality time in the garage.

Thanks for the kind words, Carl.

I would love to hear Carl's rig one day.

Don't get too excited, Mike. You won't hear a thing from Carl's rig but music. While by no means as improbable in appearance as Marshall's "Wall of Voodoo," those big woofers up on the wall will convince even the most diehard skeptic that low bass is inherently non-directional as the complete image comes from the system in a rock-solid, seamless manner.

Now I am wondering if an IB or horn loaded sub could be successfully mounted down firing in a cieling. My previous house could have been treated just as Carl's but not this one. OTOH, I have plenty of attic over my listening room. Other than getting the design right, I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work.

Anyone ever done this?

Dave

Down firing from the ceiling or up firing from the floor, both work well in an IB configuration. I haven't seen a horn loaded setup like that, but there very well could be one out there.

If and when you come next time Dave, we'll try some movies with infrasonics in them. They're always fun too and it's every bit as seamless as it it is when listening to music. Some subs do better with music, some with the low stuff that's in movies. I like the IB's for both.

Carl we are sketching plans now and should be meeting with the designer in the next few days for our new home, assuming that the lot owner will sell for his listed price as that's what we offered (why screw around). What is this IB thing?

3 Belles across the front (I can use either Heresy or RF-83 or RS-7 for rear / surround stuff. The room will be 17 x 23 x 9 (10 if I can get the foundation dropped in the room). I gather the front should be across the narrow wall. I would like to leave room for future option of KHorns and Belle front then use the other 2 Belles for surround.

Is there something I could do to better the SVS PB-12plus 2 in this room. I know a lot of "better" subs but what could I ask the builder to do to make a IB "wall"?

Is there something I could do to better the SVS PB-12plus 2 in this room. I know a lot of "better" subs but what could I ask the builder to do to make a IB "wall"?

I had an SVS PB12+2 and an SVS PCU running simultaneously before I built my IB. I havent had one regret.

An IB mounts the drivers in a wall normally in the same plane as your mains. The rear wave is wasted to an unused area. The back wave area needs to be 10 times the Vas of your combined drivers. Normally multiple 15" or 18" drivers are used to keep cone movement to a minimum. Doing an IB during construction would be so much easier than retrofitting like I did.

Carl

Okies, Carl, I am intrigued with IB. Is yours a manifold? Obviously, job one is to finish the F-20, but I am thinking that when I do my new music room I'd like to at least consider IB for it. The F-20 will be excellent in the HT area if I should do that.

The space that will be my new listening room is conveniently located right next to attic access, and while I've not really paid attention to the interior details there I am thinking there are places for a cieling mount IB.

Perhaps when you come over to hear the F-20 you can take a look there and see what you think. I've browsed the link a bit and gained some new understanding...but still pretty confused as to how to determine what would work best for me.

Dave

Mine is not a manifold, it's considered an array. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. A manifold is basically a box that the drivers mount to, then fire into, and then into the room. An advantage to a manifold is that the drivers self cancel vibrations as they are opposed to each other. Another is that you only need one hole in your room. A disadvantage would be that the manifold is heavier and more complex to build. You also choke down the drivers slightly as they're all firing through the same outlet which is normally as wide as your wall studs. Most say it's not an issue. The Array set up that I have will get negative press for wall vibration. I've found it to be a non issue in my setup and have never cracked paint or sheetrock even at levels that turn ceiling fans in adjacent rooms and flex windows in the back of the house. I did a lot of triangulated bracing to joists and rafters with 2x4's and lag bolts when I built it. The plates the drivers mount to was very easy to build.

Bottom line is they both work well and you'd be pleased with the sound of either style.

I'd be happy to lister to your F-20, and look at your room to consider the possibility of an IB. When does F-20 box construction start? Is Ron more mobile now?

Carl

When does F-20 box construction start? Is Ron more mobile now?

Probably late September or October. I am anxious to get it done, but Ron won't be fully unrestricted until the 29th and even then it will take a while to get anywhere near "normal." Between that and waiting for a bit of a cool down that is my thinking at the moment.

Of course I may just get fired up some Saturday and dive in...

Dave

• Moderators

I am anxious to get it done, but Ron won't be fully unrestricted until the 29th and even then it will take a while to get anywhere near "normal."

Normal [:o] might as well start anytime, Ron probably does not even want to be normal, wouldn't blame him really. [:P][;)]

Always wanted a IB sub but it would not fit right my space.

You can always drill the driver mounting holes and install the t-nuts. It needs to be done anyways and it's not too difficult of a chore. I should have given you some gasket tape when you were here. You'll need some for the driver and the access door. I've got plenty but didn't think of it at the time.

• Moderators

Of course I may just get fired up some Saturday and dive in...

I could not be as patient as you, I just couldn't, it would drive me nuts knowing it's cut out and waiting.

I can't hardly stand to look at a whole sheet of plywood, makes me want to build something. [:$]