Info on a klipsch ht setup

DEATHDEALER

Hi everyone

This will be my first post so forgive my lack of knowledge

I am looking into changing or adding speakers, I really want exciting speaker for HT only and all my wants leads to me to this brand. I know the 64 is a beast of a center but is there anything that can top it?

I ask about the center first because I like to build the rest of the speakers around it much like I have with other systems I have had previously

I don't think you can do any better than an RC-64 center in the reference line. It's an excellent speaker and with it, you will never have to ask whoever is sitting next to you what someone said on the movie. Usually with Klipsch, you want your front 3 speakers to be timbre matched, which means once you get a center, you should get the matching left and rights, and from there, it's not as important, but still want to have surrounds that can keep up, so it all pretty much comes as a set. You may want to look at entire sets before looking at just building your system around the center.

I am way out in the midwest but I would feel awkward going into some one's home and sitting down to hear there center channel lol. The reason I asked if there was anything better than the 64 11 was because I saw another l/c/r klipsch speaker that was priced just as high. The model was the klipsch kl 650's for $1500 and you can have 3 of them and avoid the towers as I plan to have dedicated 2 ch speakers of a diff brand. Is there a book shelf to go with the 64 11 or would you need 3 up front to avoid the towers scenario?

If you are near Michigan, I would be more than happy to let you listen to what I got.. There really isn't any reason to feel awkward and it would give you the best idea of what you want. If you are looking for the RC-64 II, there is a pretty cheap one on Audiogon right now for 499. If you go with the KL-650's, it would be best to have 3 of them and forget about the RC-64 II. I am now a little confused if you are talking about the RC-64 or the RC-64 II now though. If you like the RC-64 II, I think the best you can do for bookshelfs is the RB-75. They can be pretty hard to find though.

• Moderators

I am way out in the midwest but I would feel awkward going into some one's home and sitting down to hear there center channel lol.

Welcome to the forums. Tmassey is correct, nothing "awkward" about it. You are in this forum because you love audio....and so do we. It's not uncommon at all for us to drop by each other's house to get a demo. We all love hearing each other's gear and seeing their setup. It's what makes this community so great.

I have the RC-64 (original version) and absolutely love it. Have no desire to "upgrade" at all. I have cranked it with 200 watts RMS power and it's crystal clear, with tons of detail. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Are there better speakers...sure. Really depends on what you are looking for. You could always do three Khorns or even 3 Jubilees across the front. I'm sure they might have an advantage or two over the RC-64. [:P]

Ok so I will be going for the 64 11 center so what would be the suggestions on the rest of the setup? 2 dipoles in the rear or dipoles on the sides only? What about bookshelfs on the back wall ? What towers should I go for? Lastly, I will buy a receiver for these so ant takes on what sounds good with klipsch

• Moderators

If you are going with the new RC-64ii, here are the speakers that are voice matched to it. RC-7ii and RS-62ii - Link

THX and Dolby suggest if you have a 5.1 to have wide dispersion (Klipsch RS Series) and place them on the side walls just slightly behind your listening position.

If you have a 7.1 system, same setup but add a pair of direct reflecting speakers (ex. RB or RF Series) on the back wall.

What towers should I go for?

RF-7ii is voice matched to the RC-64ii

Lastly, I will buy a receiver for these so ant takes on what sounds good with klipsch

Many of us have enjoyed Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, NAD, Integra, Marantz etc. All make great receivers. Some like myself chose to step up to separates where you have a Pre/Pro and an external amp. LOTS of options and LOTS of opinions.

What percentage will you watch movies vs listen to music? Some receivers are better at one over the other. To my ears, Harman Kardon is much better at 2ch listening than Onkyo and Yamaha. Others say Marantz and NAD are great for music as well. Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha and Denon are great for movies.

I'm not very "Up" on what's current with receivers. Willland and others can chime in and make some recommendations.

Have fun building your system. To me, it was as much fun aquiring and setting up my system over time as it has been enjoying it.

• Moderators

He wrote that this was HT only as he has a different brand system for music.

Wow....that is what his title says huh. LOL

In that case, I could easily recommend both Yamaha and Onkyo. I found them both to be very good for HT use.

There are just too many brands and models of receivers out there, it's impossible to direct you to the one that would be best for you. In my eyes, receivers tend to be packed full of features I don't need, while not offering enough power to allow these speakers to come alive, so as Youthman suggested, I really think going separates is the best route. Obviously it will be different for you, but there is really only one thing that I am concerned with when it comes to buying a processor, is straight sound quality, which usually means adding as little coloration to the sound as possible when it's processed.

For me, Emotiva has always sounded very neutral and stayed true to the source, so in the future, I will usually tend to take a look at their products first.

I haven't heard them yet, but I believe the RF-7 II's can sound a tad harsh, so I would also look into brands that tend to have a warmer sound to help balance it out well. I believe Marantz has some pretty good offerings in that regard, and they have the Audyssey Room Correction as well. I don't think it's the newest version of it, but is still supposed to be excellent. Anthem would also be an excellent choice, but those tend to get on the pricey side.

I may go for a marantz as their gear seams nice and warm but with a pioneer receiver you get plenty of power. I dont think I will need the 7's up front so maybe the rf 82's would go good with the 64 11 center. All I need now is the rears so I think bookshelfs for the sides and some dipoles up back, any idea's on what models would work? Thanks guys for your help

All I need now is the rears so I think bookshelfs for the sides and some dipoles up back, any idea's on what models would work? Thanks guys for your help

Its recommended that its the other way around. RB'sbookshelves in rear back and RS's (WDST's) for side surrounds. If you decide on the RF7II's then RS7's and any of the RB 61 or 81's would be plenty. If your going with RF82II's for fronts , then RB81 II's or Rb 61 II's with RS 62 II's would also be a killer system. Good luck with what you decide.