Best cheap cart? Suggestion below 200$?

BBZink

Schu.

What he is saying is add the weight and then set the balance, of course the additional weight will change the balance you have now.

Worth a shot.

[-------- Sorry for the look of my writing, Apple is not very user friendly with forums------ i don't know what to do, to correct that?-----]

Day,

------ i use to have the 103 and a good step up (sold), i have added weigh on tonearm, but did not rebalanced, sound better but broke the needle.

----- i have recently bought a 2m black, but i am not satisfy with the result.

----- I am tired of overpriced cartridge base on this fact:

**** A friend of mine is fooling around cheap cart for years with impressive result on his thorens (suspension TT)

**** After discussion with him, he told me that expensive clearaudio (supposed to be a thead on vinylengin) are in fact modify cheap audio technica.

**** There are plenty of 103 modify and they are sold back as the "real thing" with a 5$ machined stuff for the double price?

----- My Rega has the spacer for taller cart.

----- Back in the old days, "Rega argument, we're the tt technologies matters, the cart only need to be adjusted properly to have the 80% pareto performance."

----- This is why i decided to investigated on low price cart to dig for gold:

------ Result so far:

*** BenzAce, overpriced, easy to adjust and sound good with spacer

*** Dynavector 20X2 HO, overpriced, sound good and sweet, very easy to adjust - curious to try it again with a spacer and on my P9.

*** Ortofon 2m Black, now overpriced, easy to adjust, sound ok with spacer

*** Ortofon 2m red, cheap, easy to adjust, and sound good with spacer, and it is not worthed to go for the black.

*** Denon 103R, price is fair compare to other cart, not easy to adjust sound good, but doesn't worth the extra money compared to regular 103.

*** Denon 103, price is cheap, not easy to adjust, carefull with extra weight, would not modify my priceless RB1000 to it, make no sense to me.

*** Nagaoka MP11, amazing cart, easy to adjust, cheap replacement needle on market

*** At150MLX, price was fair, not easy to adjust, sound bright and accurate

*** Based on the help i get so far, nest try should be, do you agree?:

*** Shure M97XE & M44G

*** Denon 110, didn't have the P9 when i used it, but good memory of it

*** Rega Elys

*** Stanton 680

*** Sumiko Black pearl or pearl

*** Nagaoka Mp110

*** AT440ML & AT95 (supposed to be the clearaudio)

*** maybe a clearaudio concept...

-

------ Sorry for the look of my writing, Apple is not very user friendly with forums------ i don't know what to do, to correct that?----

Schu,

I don't know. I put my DL160 on my Rega an dit did not sound good at all. Kind of thin. I added the weight that came with it and it sounded much better.

A friend uses a DL103 on a Jelco 750 arm and he loves it, but that is a really heavy arm.

OK, I dug up soem old calcs. Even the Jelco arm (about the same as the Sumiko Premiere) is not heavy enough. You want a resonate frequency of about 8 to 12 hz. This is all general and with errors (like the carts being measured at 100 hz instead of 10 hz).

Assuming that all the Rega arms are about 11.5 grams, it says that at least 20 grams should be added. The Dl103 has a complaince of 5 where most of the others are about 10. Get some two sided tape and put a nickel on the top of the headshell. Weigh it first, I don't know how much a nickel weighs, and rebalance your arm and try it.

Here is a good chart. Put in your arm mass and look up the mass of the cart and screws on the top and compliance on the side, you want to be in the green zone.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=11.5&submit=Submit

I tried looking up the Rega Exact cart, but they do not have the compliance or mass listed. That would have given what Rega considers ideal.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Rega&t=any&mod=&sort=2&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

I am having fun with these chart's very interesting! Thanks

Schu.

What he is saying is add the weight and then set the balance, of course the additional weight will change the balance you have now.

Worth a shot.

[-------- Sorry for the look of my writing, Apple is not very user friendly with forums------ i don't know what to do, to correct that?-----]

Day,

------ i use to have the 103 and a good step up (sold), i have added weigh on tonearm, but did not rebalanced, sound better but broke the needle.

----- i have recently bought a 2m black, but i am not satisfy with the result.

----- I am tired of overpriced cartridge base on this fact:

**** A friend of mine is fooling around cheap cart for years with impressive result on his thorens (suspension TT)

**** After discussion with him, he told me that expensive clearaudio (supposed to be a thead on vinylengin) are in fact modify cheap audio technica.

**** There are plenty of 103 modify and they are sold back as the "real thing" with a 5$ machined stuff for the double price?

----- My Rega has the spacer for taller cart.

----- Back in the old days, "Rega argument, we're the tt technologies matters, the cart only need to be adjusted properly to have the 80% pareto performance."

----- This is why i decided to investigated on low price cart to dig for gold:

------ Result so far:

*** BenzAce, overpriced, easy to adjust and sound good with spacer

*** Dynavector 20X2 HO, overpriced, sound good and sweet, very easy to adjust - curious to try it again with a spacer and on my P9.

*** Ortofon 2m Black, now overpriced, easy to adjust, sound ok with spacer

*** Ortofon 2m red, cheap, easy to adjust, and sound good with spacer, and it is not worthed to go for the black.

*** Denon 103R, price is fair compare to other cart, not easy to adjust sound good, but doesn't worth the extra money compared to regular 103.

*** Denon 103, price is cheap, not easy to adjust, carefull with extra weight, would not modify my priceless RB1000 to it, make no sense to me.

*** Nagaoka MP11, amazing cart, easy to adjust, cheap replacement needle on market

*** At150MLX, price was fair, not easy to adjust, sound bright and accurate

*** Shure M97XE & M44G

*** Rega Elys

*** Stanton 680

*** Nagaoka Mp110

-

------ Sorry for the look of my writing, Apple is not very user friendly with forums------ i don't know what to do, to correct that?----

I'm confused. Did you audition these carts or are you just repeating what you have heard or read? If you have auditioned not sure why you solicited information here.

Josh

This forum doesn't like the Safari browser. I use Firefox with no problems.

this the cartridege i am willing to try so far based on info ireceived!

*** Shure M97XE & M44G

*** Rega Elys

*** Stanton 680

*** Nagaoka Mp110

I'm confused. Did you audition these carts or are you just repeating what you have heard or read? If you have auditioned not sure why you solicited information here.

Josh

yes i listenned the upperside, thinking the sound will be better as the sound goes up, but

lately, after 25 years of hifi, i was amaze from the sound of a 40$ atechnica...

So maybe i was listenning the wrong way, maybe a needle isn't what make the difference and maybe there's to much snakeoil in expensive cart's

so maybe a 100$ cart is all you need!

no offence but i am with cart's at the same conclusion after trying so many cable, it is only snake oil i purchased on 1000$ cartridge.

and maybe other's have arrived at the same result, so i am asking please share you're experience with budget cart's

Does it really make a difference, and if yes what kind? Or bestdeal in town is?

enjoy!

I have tried a few Carts, budget to mid priced.

M97XE - decent great bang for the buck.

Sumiko Blue Point original - Fantastic sound alot of cart for the $$$

Recently upgrade to Bluepoint special EVOIII Very similar to the Original, with better hf, really not worth the extra $$$ but good cart.

Craig 73

Table Project RM5.1

Guest David H

M97XE - decent great bang for the buck.

True, for the money this cart is hard to beat.

Sumiko Blue Point original - Fantastic sound alot of cart for the $$$

Tried this cartridge for 2 weeks, nice sound however is only marginally better than the Shure.

I really like the Benz MC20EL, thought it was a step up from the Bluepoint and equal to or better than the EVO.

A bit out of this price range but an real improvement over budget cartridges is the Grado Statement Sonata, this one really blew my mind for quality as I was seriously dissapointed in the budget Grado's.

My latest is the Lyra Helikon, I only have this overpriced piece because it was a gift from my father after my sister broke the cantilever. I had it retipped by Sound Smith (amazing work100% reccomended). This Cartridge sounds excellent, however I would never pay the price for the Lyra knowing how good the Grado SS is. BTW, Dad replaced the Lyra with the Grado SS and never looked back.

Dave