Anybody else got the Galaxy S III phone? How do you like it?

JL Sargent

Looking into getting one for the wife, however I'm interested to see what Apple unveils tomorrow. Everything is pretty much known about the next iPhone through all the leaks but there might be something that hasn't been spoiled yet, I doubt it though. This will be our first Android based phone so it'll be interesting to see the difference from iPhone if we do end up getting one.

Both of my boys have Galaxy 3S phones. They are super nice. They'll do just about anything. I've seen some wild apps they put on there. But they both say they have to charge the battery all the time. But they do use the heck out them.

My daughter and wife both went with iPhones.

I have a Blackberry and have been happy enough with it. I do plan to upgrade to either the ladies or boys platform. Probably around Xmas time. Can't make up my mind about which to get.

Funny I just saw this, I was on the phone with AT&T last night for over three hours. They're sending me a Galaxy III S and a voucher for the new iPhone5, since I have two lines. I supposed I'll have the best of both worlds. I've never operated an Android based phone, so it'll be an interesting experience.

You just asked what can be a complicated question. My situation:

2 smart phones sharing 1gb of data, unlimited talk, unlimited text

$140.00 a month.

Now, Im a service contractor and pay for that plan using the phone to make money. Often times I need to send a photo of damage to get the "OK" to repair. The phone will send a text with pictures to a customer for approval. Also tax deductable which helps very little.

Ouch... which provider?

I pay $216/month for 3 smartphones (original Droids) with Verizon for unlimited data, unlimited texting, and 700 minutes shared talk. But calls to other cellphones don't count against plan minutes, so we never come close to using the minutes we share. We go way over 1gb of data though.. even on my wife's phone with her facebook stuff (at 3G speeds). I imagine your phone must do 4G (10 times faster?) and you probably could hit 1gb pretty quickly?

yeah, these are 4G LTE phones. We keep WIFI on all the time at home and wife has WIFI at work so we hit that mostly. So nearly all data though the wifi networks. The pictures I send are usually around 250K so 1GB would be good for approx. 4000 pictures. As long as we don't stream movies or do a bunch of surfing on the road I think we'll be ok on the 1G. We talk more and have had 1600 minutes in one billing cycle so your plan wouldn't work for us.

Our provider is ATT. Your at $72 per smart phone with Verizon and we are at $70 per smart phone with ATT, they collaborate on this crap.

I was able to get the Galaxy III s on my other line for free, and was sent a voucher for a new iPhone5. We did some rearranging on my plan, and with both phones, i'm paying $94/month. I guess it also helps when you tell them you're thinking about switching to another provider. They also waived my phone bill until next year, so that helps as well.

have unlimited everything. It also helps that I was grandfathered in with a lot of my services, but it seems like I'll be a life time customer if it stays this way.

Just curious...

With an older plan where you're grandfathered in (as I am with my Verizon plan with unlimited data), if you buy a new 4G phone and have it activated does it work at 4G speeds? Or do they somehow limit you to the 3G speeds of your old grandfathered plan?

have unlimited everything. It also helps that I was grandfathered in with a lot of my services, but it seems like I'll be a life time customer if it stays this way.

Just curious...

With an older plan where you're grandfathered in (as I am with my Verizon plan with unlimited data), if you buy a new 4G phone and have it activated does it work at 4G speeds? Or do they somehow limit you to the 3G speeds of your old grandfathered plan?

It depends on what phone you're capable of. If it can do 4G, yes, you will have 4G speeds. On top of that, depending on what carrier, it might run off LTE. The trick is to never let them talk you into another data plan to lose your grandfathered unlimited data. On top of that, though, if they see you're using an abnormal amount of data, they might start "throttling" your data, to where its slower. Its somewhat rare that happens, but if you continuously watch Netflix on your phone or the like, and use over 5 GB a month, they'll start doing that.

Another little got ya. I've noticed on this smart phone they force you to use data to send a picture with text. On my wifes older Pantech "impact" phone you could send a picture as part of a text. She had no data plan. Example: I send my wife a picture of soccer practice with my "data" turned off it never completes the call. Turn data back on and it instantly goes through. I check my data usage and sure enough there is the photo size approx.