Supersize Heresy build

longdrive03

I've had some various parts laying around a while so I decided to build a larger Heresy. I have two KP-22-E woofers, two H812 (12.5" x 8" exponential horn from PE), and two K-79 (or K-762) tweeters and two NOS Tangent xovers. Used 1.25" birch plywood on sides and tops and 3/4"mdf plus 3/8" baltic birch ply for the front with 3/4"mdf on back. Using cherry veneer on all but back and bottom with solid 1" cherry on front and bottom trim corners. Will use 2 3" diameter ports. The KP-22-E woofers spec out at 96db 1w/1m on WT2. Here's some pics of current status. I'll build a top cap out of some wood (haven't decided yet) and probably a short base. 42.5"tall x 16 x 16. Heavy!!!

Posted ImageIMG_2902.jpgPosted Image

nice build and thanks for your pictures. Looks like these are sealed cabinets? Have you decided upon damping yet? I have had excellent results with high densiry fiberlass but if these are sealed then you can use good old reliable and excellent working pink home fiberglass and experiment with the stuffing density.My guess would be a fairly heavy stuffing and you should get good control with decent extension. You might also want to add some front to back braces to stiffen up the back panel. Please keep us posted as to how they sound. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks guys. I am porting these but had not cut the port hole til last night. I will also do some front rear braces now that I know exactly where th holes are located. I added a riser last night as well. Tonight I hope to get the caps built for top and get ready for final sanding and wipe on poly satin. I'll line cabinets with some foam to reduce reflection. Can't wait to hear them hooked up. Here's another pic with base attached and port hole cut.

Posted Image

Beautiful speakers! I'd be happy to add those to my collection any day!

Looking at these, it looks as though there might be room for a second woofer in each motorboard. I wonder what kind of sound you would get if you couple that with two ports, the larger squaker horn you have, and something like a Crites CT-125 tweeters. There are probably 100 reasons why this wouldn't work, but aesthetically it would look awesome.

Shoe horn thinking will get you into trouble faster than you can get out. Think about a Klipsch Heresy which is just a little bit smaller than 2 cu ft in size and uses a single 12 inch woofer has a fs of around 55 Hz. so putting two 12" drivers in a four cubic foot box will only buy you more output not more bass extension. Two 10 inch woofers or a single 12 inch woofer in a four cubic foot box is about as large as most folks really want to go in the living room. You are going to have to add a sub or two and if you do you might have just as well made the main speakers a little smaller rather than larger. The speakers that the OP has built look awesome to me. I bet they sould great too. Best regards Moray James

Shoe horn thinking will get you into trouble faster than you can get out. Think about a Klipsch Heresy which is just a little bit smaller than 2 cu ft in size and uses a single 12 inch woofer has a fs of around 55 Hz. so putting two 12" drivers in a four cubic foot box will only buy you more output not more bass extension. Two 10 inch woofers or a single 12 inch woofer in a four cubic foot box is about as large as most folks really want to go in the living room. You are going to have to add a sub or two and if you do you might have just as well made the main speakers a little smaller rather than larger. The speakers that the OP has built look awesome to me. I bet they sould great too. Best regards Moray James

Ahhh... I knew there was a reason. Thanks

That's not to say that your idea was not possible because it is but not with Heresy woofers or any of the other Klipsch heritage 12 inch woofers as they have Qts which is to low to work in such a small cabinet. You would need a deiver with a Qts of around 0.31 - 0.33 if I recall correctly which will yield the lowest possible vented tuning in the smallest possible cabinet volume. Drivers with higher Qts can be used to further reduce the cabinet volume but there are other trade offs. For myself I happen to like the sound of ten inch drivers and a couple of tens will push a little more air than a single 12 will (about a third more) and you can usually get away with about the same volume cabinet as a single 12 inch cabinet. Power handeling is better than a single driver so you can push it if you need to. Overall size stays reasonable. I still think that if you are intending to go with a sub or two then a sealed enclosure is the best way to go short of a horn but that is a whole other animal and you are going to start with a LaScala size cabinet. but now we are up over 100db efficient and things start to sound very real and you have way more options as far as amplifiers go. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks guys. Yeah two 12" woofers wouldn't work in this cabinet. The qts actually measured .29 and .30 on these woofes. but the vas was 9.09 and 9.49cf???? They sound great but I agree the 2 x 10" is a good deal. I used that in an earlier build with a different mid and tweeter horn and it sounded great as well. These do need subs to get that bottom octave but my buddy loved them. The mids were great with the K52TI mid and the K-792 horn tweeters. Next time I won't use 1.25" ply on these cause it is heavy. Hardly any resonance at all on sides and front.

Here's a pic in my friends dart den versus my ugly garage.

Posted Image

Dave at Fast Lane Audio did a 3.64 cu ft box with a similar woofer and used a 4" dia by 7" long vent to tune it. That would be a good starting point you can try lengthing the vent you have and see what you find easy to play with use a test tone off a cd or the computer pick a desired frequency and tune to minimize cone motion at that frequency. Good enough for the girls I date. Best regards Moray James.

PS: if your vent dia is smaller than 4" then make your vent longer than 7 inches. so if it is 3" in dia then try a 9 - 10 inch vent

PPS: I would stick with the 1.25 ply because it is good and stiff. You might even add some cross braces side to side and front to back tie them together if you can. Every bit helps.

I ran the numbers off WT3 through the problem and this is what is showed. The vas is unusually high on these compared to standard K-22E woofers. This is the KP-22-E model. Calculations showed on one speaker 2 3" ports 7.67" long or one 3" port 3.2" long. On othe rspeak one 3" port 2.77'. On second speaker one 3" port 3.2" long or two 3" port 8.7 inches long. I have some flared 3" ports that might work as well

Moray thanks for the suggestions on ports. I might go with the 4" port but I'll have to order some and cut the hole bigger.

I have 3 front to back braces in these but no cross bracing. The front is 3/4" mdf plus 3/8" baltic birch ply and it seems fine. I bought the mid horn on sale at PE and modified it to fit screw on drivers. My buddy may not let these out of his house which is fine. I'm like Doritos - eat em all and I'll make more!!!!