Monster M Series Biwire Question

Youthman

• Moderators

I picked up a pair of B&W Speakers and included in the sale were some Monster Biwire M Series cables. To be honest, I don't buy into the biwire hype but I just had a question/observation.

I guess I expected there to be two pair of connectors (2) Red and (2) Black on each end but instead, there is a single pair (1) Red and (1) Black on one end and two pairs (2) Red and (2) Black on the other end of each cable.

I guess I understand the logic in that you can use one single channel of your amp to biwire one speaker. Is that the normal way? Maybe I'm confusing biwire with biamp where you have a separate channel for each binding post on your speaker (4 channels to power two speakers).

monster-M1.jpg

your cables are designed to connect an amp to two sets of speaker connections on 1 speaker system. typically you will find a jumper wire on your speakers that connect the HF to LF terminals. once those jumpers are removed...you can use your cables.

• Moderators

Yeah, I just hooked them up. I guess in my mind, I'm wondering....how does that actually benefit anything? You really are not separating the LF and the HF. These jokers weren't cheap when new. They retailed for $250. Seem like they have great build quality, just not worth $250 in my opinion.

Check these out - http://www.socalhifi.com/m-1.4s.php

Yeah, I just hooked them up. I guess in my mind, I'm wondering....how does that actually benefit anything? You really are not separating the LF and the HF. These jokers weren't cheap when new. They retailed for $250. Seem like they have great build quality, just not worth $250 in my opinion.

the bi-wire you have is very difficult to explain the theory of operation. if it had 4 leads on each end and you have multiple taps on your amp...you could put the bass leads on the 16 ohm tap and the HF leads on the 8ohm taps...etc...etc.etc

the bi-wire you have is very difficult to explain the theory of operation. if it had 4 leads on each end and you have multiple taps on your amp...you could put the bass leads on the 16 ohm tap and the HF leads on the 8ohm taps...etc...etc.etc

Those wires make no sence to me. 4 in and 4 out I get. 2 in 4 out seems like snake oil.

• Moderators

the bi-wire you have is very difficult to explain the theory of operation. if it had 4 leads on each end

That's the problem, it only has two leads on one end but it has 4 on the other.

Those wires make no sence to me. 4 in and 4 out I get. 2 in 4 out seems like snake oil.

I'm with you fritz. I tried them on my B&W's last night and my ears heard no difference between using them and using the jumpers.

I listed them on Craigslist last night and within an hour a guy said he would be here today to buy them. He just left with them for $70 and was thrilled. He mainly wanted them for convenience more than looking at them as an "upgrade" to the cables that he had. Right now, he has to unscrew so having the banana plugs for biwire was a benefit to him. He said he asked his brother if he should buy them and his brother asked how much I had them listed for and he told him $75. "Buy them!" He walked away VERY happy so that was great.

I personally just don't see the value in "high end" cables. (can of worms has officially been opened). LOL

how does that actually benefit anything? You really are not separating the LF and the HF. These jokers weren't cheap when new. They retailed for $250. Seem like they have great build quality, just not worth $250 in my opinion.

What you have there is a $250 replacement for the original jumpers. No benefit whatsoever to anything, other than Monster's profit margins at the time of original purchase. Just be glad it wasn't you who paid full coin for them.

• Moderators

Just be glad it wasn't you who paid full coin for them.

No doubt. I didn't pay anything for them. The guy gave them to me when I went to pick up the B&W's. I tried them, didn't see any benefit, so I sold them. Apparently at a great price for someone that is into that sort of thing. They do look impressive but I think that's the only benefit (other than connectivity and convenience). No sonic benefit IMO. One thing that I thought was pretty slick was you can unscrew the banana plugs and underneath they had the short pointy tips (not sure what they are called). See the image below.

safe_image.php?d=AQCbbA_WyDPr0oO8&url=+h

It's interesting that they labelled each cable "Low Pass", "High Pass" when it doesn't matter how you hook them up as long as you have red to red and black to black. Oh well. Glad someone got some benefite out of them.

See, they are of value. $70 in the pocket feels niceAngel.

Well the $70 never made it to the "pocket". As soon as the guy left, my wife picked it up and said, "Can I go buy some fall flowers for the yard?" LOL To me, that's what that money is for. Doesn't pay the bills so all is good. It was $70 we didn't have to spend out of our pocket for landscaping so that in itself was a blessing.

• 9 years later...

I had the exact same pair of M series Monster Cable but I have been using an internal bi-wire pair of Kimber Kable for the last 22 years and TRUST ME bi-wiring makes a complete difference in your speaker system and what you're hearing. It takes a while to get to know your equipment. You should have played something while you had those monsters hooked up that perhaps you haven't played for a while and you would have definitely heard detail that you never knew was there. The only reason why I use Kimber Kable instead of the Monster is because Kimber Kable is better than Monster.

Back in 1995 when I first got my set of Paradigm 9se Mark III speakers I did not originally have them by wired but one day I thought what the heck I'll try this bi-wire thing. They're designed to be bi-wired so let's give it a try. So I took the jumpers out and used the speaker cable which was Straight Wire that I was using at the time and simply put the Straight Wire on the high end and I put standard cheap Radio Shack cable on the low end and I immediately heard a difference with what I was listening to. SO, speakers that are design to be bi-wired should be bi-wired and speakers that are designed not to be-wired should not be bi-wired. It's that simple.

Especially if you bought a pair of B&Ws. I have two pair of B&Ws, Matrix 804 and also CM10 S2 that are incredible speakers and sound even better when bi-wired.

I don't understand all the skepticism in such things as bi-wiring as an example when it comes to audio equipment.

You call it hype. I call it reality.