Opinions Needed. Choosing Multi-Channel Amp

Klipschht

First off I am not trying to start a flame war or anything like that. I have not seen people on this forum act that way but I guess I should say that up front. This is my first thread so if I should move it else where please let me know. I currently have an Emotiva Xpa-5, right now I am considering purchasing an Xpa-2 or a Parasound A-21. I am not trying to bash Emotiva, however I have a hiss coming from the tweeters of my RF-7 II 's and RC-64 II. I am going to make the outlet a totally seperate and dedicated circuit, however Emotiva said that this really should not have an effect. I have been told that it is because Klipsch are just so effecient and Emotiva amps have a high noise floor. I am keeping my speakers, I want to know does anyone have experience with Parasound and Klipsch, are they dead silent at idle? Do you really get that much for the extra money? On paper the Emotiva and Parasound seem evenly matched, actually the Emotiva has more Watts. :) Has anyone here compared these two with Klipsch Reference speakers, other speakers might hide the hiss. I am sorry about being long winded, and my OCD does not like the hiss from the tweeters. I can run it all off of my Onkyo and it is quiet, Emotiva said it was because of less power, that is not acceptable to me. I want my cake and to eat it too. :)

Thanks

I currently have an Emotiva Xpa-5, right now I am considering purchasing an Xpa-2 or a Parasound A-21. I am not trying to bash Emotiva, however I have a hiss coming from the tweeters of my RF-7 II 's and RC-64 II.

I've seen a few post on this but my XPA-5 is dead quiet with XLR cables. I have mine plugged directly to the wall outlet and not thru my power strip. I've never heard Parasound but others will probably chime in. I know Youthman is using one and is quite content.

First off I am not trying to start a flame war or anything like that. I have not seen people on this forum act that way but I guess I should say that up front. This is my first thread so if I should move it else where please let me know.

btw...Welcome to the forum

Thank you all for the replies so far and the welcome. Unfortunately my Onkyo avr does not have XLR out, or I would try that. I am plugged directly into the wall also. I may end up purchasing an Xpa-2 then get a pre/pro only with XLR and try that. Still cheaper than buying an A-21 and A-51. :)

I may end up purchasing an Xpa-2 then get a pre/pro only with XLR and try that.

I'm not stating that will be a cure but was just saying how mine is connected. Unless you have long runs, there shouldn't be much difference with your current connection method via RCA's. If you have zero noise going from the AVR direct, more than likely it is the amp.

I'd try different cables and/or making sure your power lines are away from your source lines. Would hate to see you spend money on a pre/pro and have the same issue........

Tasdom, I understand, I appreciate the advice. I did just purchase an audioquest RCA cable from A1UC, by the way anyone who reads this he has been very up front and good to do business with, it is a much higher priced, "quality" cable than what I have been using, I also have audioquest speaker cables connected. I will see if this has any affect tonight. 1 meter to 2 at most is all I need so I do not think it is a long run. You have the RF-7 and RC-64 like I do and I am going to add surrounds soon, if you are not having any hiss issue hopefully it is just the RCA interconnects.

Did you purchase the amp new from Emotiva? If so, how long ago? If you bought it 2nd hand, the warranty is transferable and should be changed to your name.

Reason I'm asking is their customer service has been great with my purchase thus far. I would try to exchange or give them the opportunity to service it if you can't resolve the issue.I would think they have had to satisfy several instances of excessive humming problems.......

I bought it direct from Emotiva, at the end of June. They are the ones who told me that Klipsch are just a little too sensitive. But they said they are willing to work with me so I am happy so far with customer service, I am first trying to see if I can resolve this on my own. And with help and suggestions from the forum. :)

I use BB RCA's to connect my amp and avr. The speakers are dead silent between songs. No need for balanced interconect for average size rooms/runs. I would not buy another Emo until you are happy with the one you have. There are enough complaints on this forum about the hiss, hum, ground loop, ect. to warrant caution. It should also be stated that many people are very happy with their Emo amps and have no problems. I like my Yamaha amps performance so much, that I will not trade them for newer amps at this point..Some of the old vitage amps can be had for a good price.

• Moderators

I am keeping my speakers, I want to know does anyone have experience with Parasound and Klipsch, are they dead silent at idle?

I just went into the HT, turned my system on and turned up the volume to 50 on the UMC-1 (which would be very loud level) and I had to be 1ft from the tweeter to hear any hiss. So no, it's not dead quiet but I don't know anyone sitting 1ft in front of their speakers.

my OCD does not like the hiss from the tweeters.

With no music or movie playing, how far away can you hear the hiss?

Thank you youthman. I can really hear it when I am within 1 ft. and no I do not listen that close. :) I can hear it at my LP about 8 ft away but I have to be concentrating on it, my wife on the other hand can hear it from any place in the room. I am going to try and isolate the circuit this weekend and do all the trouble shooting that has been suggested. If I crank up the volume, with nothing playing or anything but the amp and avr on, then I can hear it clearly from any position. However we are getting seriously loud.[:)] I do not think it can damage the speakers, right? If not I can live with it and finish off getting the rest of my speakers and then get back to replacing it eventually. Thank you CECAA850, I have been reading the link you gave me, thanks!

• Moderators

I can hear it at my LP about 8 ft away but I have to be concentrating on it, my wife on the other hand can hear it from any place in the room.

I would say that is pretty significant. One of my Velodyne subs emits a noise and I can hear it from my LP. Someone said the servo control is located inside the dustcap maybe going bad. It's annoying but for the amount I paid for it, I'll deal with it. LOL

My "hiss" that I hear from the Parasound/UMC-1/RF-83's does not increase in volume when I crank up the volume. Even at insane levels on the UMC-1, I cannot hear the "hiss" from the RF-83's.

I do not think it can damage the speakers, right?

Not at all. To your speakers, it's just sound and it's just music. You are mostly worried about "clipping" your signal. If you push your amp past what it is capable of doing, it will begin to clip and cause distortion. Distortion is what damages speakers the most.

Do you have another AVR you can try. If not Best buy gives you a 30 day return policy.

Connect the amp to the AVR and see if you are getting the hiss from it. ( meaning the pre-outs of the onkyo etc... AVR)

1) if you are it is possible the AVR you have is giving the hiss and the Emo is just amplifying it.

2) if you are still getting the hiss the amp should go back.

FYI,I am running a XPA5 with a Pioneer and i have tried it with a sony Elite and no hiss from it

till volume is at -13 at 1 foot. I however sit 18-25 feet back. so to me this isnt an issue.

by the way my pioneer with no amp i can hear the hiss at the same -13 at 1 foot.